• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Body scanner detecting internally concealed drugs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

-FaNaTiC-

Greenlighter
I've never heard of such technology used at airports in any country before. Have you?

Yeah America and canada use them, as alot of Europe probably does too, not sure about Asian places.

INFORMATION ON FULL BODY SCANNERS AT AIRPORTS

Since the incident onboard Northwest Airlines flight 253 Christmas Day 2009, there have been more and more full body scanners used in airports around the world. In Canada particularly, only one full-body scanner had been used prior to the incident, as part of the trial phase for this new technology. In January 2010, the Canadian Air Transport Security Authority (CATSA) decided to accelerate their schedule for the purchase of new scanners and 44 scanners were ordered to be deployed in eight airports across the country.

But what are these scanners? How do they work, how do they differ from one another, and more importantly, are they dangerous to our health?

How They Work
Backscatter X-ray scanners and millimeter wave scanners are both full body scanners used in the screening area of airports across the world. They are used as a secondary screening tool, giving passengers selected for a secondary screening an alternative to a physical search.

They both create an image by sending low-level waves, or rays towards your body, and detecting the waves which scatter, or bounce off the surface of your body, as well as any objects next to it. The purpose is to reveal any objects someone is carrying under their clothes, particularly liquid explosives, weapons, and drugs.

http://www.radiationsafety.ca/info-on-full-body-scanners

Which airports have full body scanners? Across the US, 65 airports now have xray full body scanners, at airports security. Here's a list of the US airports that have full body scanners so you can know before you go whether the TSA wants to see you naked:

http://studenttravel.about.com/od/planes/f/Which-Airports-Have-Full-Body-Scanners.htm

^ I've seen an airport security TV show type video about machines that can detect the pellets that mules eat full of drugs. I think that's what OP is talking about, not the regular body scanners that can see anything concealed outside of the body.

^ Oh yeah, your right. In the first link of the OP's it states -

He also said they used a completely different technology to the "backscatter x-ray" scanners used overseas.

My quick research just told me there's two types most commonly used, backscatter xray which they say in that article isnt the one and then millimetre wave technology. I have no idea if they are using millimetre wave technolgy but the difference of the two in terms of pic outcomes look like this -

backscatter1.jpg
backscatter.jpg

then there is this article i came across that says -

Best bet to bust that drug smuggler? Try a CT scan
Study: Scans, while costly, are more accurate at detecting internal drugs than X-rays

The best method for finding narcotics that smugglers, or drug "mules," hide within their bodies is the same CT medical imaging more commonly used to spot cancer, a small study by Swiss researchers suggests.
Don't miss these Health stories

CT scans were far more accurate at detecting smuggled drugs than X-rays. But CT scanning machines and the image processing are expensive, too costly to regularly use to catch smugglers, some experts say.

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/40440159/...-bust-drug-smuggler-try-ct-scan/#.UgGiRRbiNWg

So maybe that's what they are using, CT scanning machines...

Anyway this thread is probably not really allowed. Can't see much HR value in it and it is borderline discussing about drug smuggling at airports.

Chris, all you have to do is watch a couple episodes of "Locked up Abroad" These technologies are not uncommon.

I really don't see how this discussion relates to HR whatsoever, this is a matter that concerns drug smugglers not drug users and we are not here to aid anyone in importing drugs. Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.