• ✍️ WORDS ✍️

Welcome Guest!

• Words Moderators: Mysterier

Bluelighter Cutups and What comes of it...

Thou

Bluelighter
I don't know if you're aware of it, you should be if you're a writer but I'm no judge, but there's a phenomenon in writing or procedure, if you will, invented by Brian Gysin and William Burroughs called the Cutup Method.

This method is merely a form of the montage method old-hat in painting, but new to literature at the time. Burroughs wrote three cutup books.

Not only that but the cutups often provided seemingly telepathic wisdom when done in any way that proved well for the writer at the time.

We will use this method here, us men of letters, and I will start first. I used Hemingway's "to have and have not" and Conrad's "heart of darkness" simply because they were the first to books I picked up out of the pile.

I cut them up with a Stanley blade in two sequences of equal nature... Then carefully placed them into a story.

Here's what resulted:

And if all the truth must be told, I was somewhat of a stranger to myself. The youngest man on board a risk, and he sweated while he thought about it. We closed just as an awful sea made for the ship. All hands saw it coming and took to the rigging, but I had together for eighteen months or so, and my position.

"No."
"Come on."
"Don't be silly."
"You miserable little crut."

One's own personality every man sets up for himself, secretly. Him by the throat went on shaking him like a rat, the above us yelling; "Look out! Look out!

Then Freddy said. It was a painful sum from him to me as we looked at him in surprise.

"Ought to see her."
"She does marvelously , the one said. You be equal to their tasks; but I wondered how far I of the fullest responsibility, was willing to take the skylight; neither did I stir a lib, so far as I know. We stood less than a foot from each other. It occurred.

"That man insulted me," Harry could hear the observed and regetfully that he could't account for before. Truly a nice little tale.

"The money?" Didn't I say I'd have the money?"

Freddy went out to the front.

I remarked when he approached.

"Listen Freddy, you've known me a long time." Eying us all about it at once, he wanted to know.

"Lets see it"

Bee-lips handed it over. Harry counted ten hundred.

"He expects to take her up the the day after forecastle head and of the poop all awash driving.

"Not so badly," the green-visored man said.

"All right, Big shot."

"Don't you big shot me."

Harry looked at bee-lens, an Freddy was serving them. One was very tall.

"Less my commission," said Bee-Lips.

Suddenly, they rushed us aft together, gripped as we were, screasming 'Murder!' like a lot of lunatics, and broke into the cuddy. And the ship running for her life, her last sea made me appear ecentric. Goodness only knew how that absurdly whiskered mate would 'account' for my conduct, and what the whole ship thought of the informality of their new captain.

I was vexed with myself.

Lets see some cutups, you're men of letters, you missives of fate to the ignorant man!

;)

Last edited:
So that's what the cut up fold in technique is all about! Cool.

I'll see what I can come up with. :)

A. <3

Awesome! That was my first one, I hear you get better as time goes on.

I should have cut down the center as well, to get new words in some cases, but I haven't gotten that far yet. Maybe today.

Thou, could you possibly highlight in different colours which text is Hemingway and which is Conrad? It's not just splicing two essential paragraphs together is it?

A. <3

no its line by line.

Part of the fun is not knowing.

My next will be all one author or newspaper or something, but I'll cut down the middle as well to form new words.