• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

blue lips

Status
Not open for further replies.

OLD.GREGGGGG

Bluelighter
I tried using search but didnt see anything. I was curious is there is an average time or a rough idea of how long it takes for ones lips to begin turning blue from an opiate overdose? i found a friend in the midst of OD'ing. only thing i know was stink was super clammy and lips were shades of blue. Any input would be greatly appreciated as i am trying to piece together info my friend doesnt have access to. Thanks in advance for any input, and if i posted in wrong forum.

-old greg

5-10 minutes after shooting up. I had one particular friend who would always push it with the amount he?d cook up and put in his shots.
He?d always go into a full blown nod, and occasionally have his lips/face turn blue.
This was a time when I was at a really low point and living homeless with him in a car. I?d have to slap his face 50 times and scream/pour water on him multiple times.
Usually he?d wake up for a few seconds and get mad that ?I?m ruining his nod? even though he didn?t realize I was saving his life probably.

He?d always have those blue lips, I still joke about ?blue lips? to this day that?s why when I saw the name of this post I almost thought it was an old friend of mine or some shit lol.

But ya it would take 5-10 minutes after he?d shoot up and he?d have blue lips full blown

Naloxone I believe is available over the counter in most states and I don't think you have to be a health care professional. What you are describing is cyanosis. Because of lack of oxygen in the blood the lips and mucus membranes and fingertips may appear blue. This is a medical emergency. A person should be taking 12-20 breaths/minute and when at rest. When this drops down to 8 or 9 breaths this is serious. Resting heart rate is 60-100 bpm but more realistically 70-85. If this drops below this is also signs of a medical emergency.

Try to persuade your friend when he's had enough- a kind of buddy system. Also, speak to your local pharmacist about carrying naloxone (Narcan) if legally allowed in your territory. You may save his life. Yes, smack him in the face, get him to move, crawl, stand, sing, whatever; this increases respiration and blood flow.

I find nodding off completely is a waste cuz you just sleep and don't get to enjoy your high. I've nearly killed myself with alcohol, but I have half a brain when it comes to opioid usage and would not let myself get into that situation. I've known at least 10 people who have died from opioid overdosing and it is really sad.

Yep. Medical emergency. If you are in hospital and they hook up a real time vitals your blood oxygen saturation level needs to be 95% to 100%. Anything less than this is considered not normal.

If it drops below 80 or down into the 70's you will see a whole lot of people running around trying to fix it. Believe me. I just watched a friend go through this in hospital.

Even at 78% oxy sat their lips and fingertips were not blue. So I can just imagine where your friends levels were.

Low blood oxygen is called Hypoxemia. I am not preaching. I have done this to myself with nitrous. I got a good yelling at by friends for scaring them so badly. You can arrest from this condition. Naloxone won't help if you arrest first.

Get a naloxone kit! They should be available where you are. In Canada they are available everywhere for free. If you see a friend ODing with blue lips you should be administering naloxone to save their life.

Teflon too bad we don?t all live in Canada lol. Nalaxone isn?t easy to come by in Los Angeles

That's like saying, "Is there an average amount of time people can hold their breath? How long do most people hump for prior to climax?" It is always going to vary. It's not a particularly useful question either, and I'm not trying to insult your intelligence by saying so OP. If an overdose is suspected, seek emergency help immediately. That's the only appropriate answer to go by in this scenario.

Status
Not open for further replies.