• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

☠ WARNING ☠ Bipolar Man Injects Mushroom Tea Into His Veins

I don't like how it talks about his bipolar like it's sufficient evidence to demonize him further for his actions.
Are we living in a period of mental health awareness and positivity, or the lunatic asylum era?
I think whoever wrote this particular article still has a copy of Reefer Madness as a desk reference to drugs.

Also, you can inject the isolated chemical that makes up what people call magic mushrooms; psilocyin (and also it's analogs/derivatives) 4-ACO-DMT being one.
You cannot simply blend up the fruiting bodies and then inject it though.
Also when it mentions the mushrooms were growing in his blood, it doesn't mention at what stage was this at. Spores need to colonize something first which takes days for full consolidation, maybe even longer. What substrate? Seeing as the blood is always moving, what can the spores colonize moving around the body with nothing to attach onto? What they might mean is there were trace amounts of spores in his blood, which would be true because he would have inevitably been unable to purify and filter the solution he injected sufficiently. This doesn't mean they were growing in his blood though. That is ridiculous. The spores would have been live though.

You also tend to need different structures of drugs when you inject them due to their ability to become active in the body in comparison to ingesting them other ways. I know with DMT for example you need DMT fumarate because I am sure it is water soluble.

I don't like how it talks about his bipolar like it's sufficient evidence to demonize him further for his actions.
No, but as someone with bipolar, I know that it can make you impulsive. And in this case, I can surely see how following a depressive bout and reading about the anti-depressant properties of psilocybin mushrooms, one might become desperate and in a manic state make such a decision.
How were they supposed to talk about it? I didn't find it demonizing at all.
What they might mean is there were trace amounts of spores in his blood, which would be true because he would have inevitably been unable to purify and filter the solution he injected sufficiently. This doesn't mean they were growing in his blood though. That is ridiculous.
Can't argue there. I really can't say this or that as to why he had "a liver injury, his kidneys weren't functioning properly, and he'd started to go into organ failure." But I don't doubt you're right: growing seems like a very click-bait word in this context (worked pretty well, too: exhibit A (me)).
I agree that it sounds ridiculous that it would be growing in his blood.

I don't think a lot of people even consider injecting mushroom tea, but I found the article to be interesting, even if horrifying. :)

How were they supposed to talk about it? I didn't find it demonizing at all.
Don't mention the mental illness unless it's necessary. There's no reason to mention his bipolar in this post. For a start the article isn't a scientific/academic article and it doesn't seek to educate the reader at all in regards to the content of the article, it seeks to basically leave the door open for mocking the person who did this and, well, he has a mental health issue, people with mental health issues do things that aren't always in their best interests sometimes, what's the big deal? Because it's mainstream news and a shallow click-bait article of course the emphasis is on stirring the pot and attempting to illicit impulsive behaviour in the reader. That impulsive behaviour in the reader seeks to reinforce that both psychedelics are bad and dangerous, and mental illness will make you inject mushrooms into your veins.

What's the end goal? It's surely not positive. And to add insult to injury, mental illness is being used as a crutch to justify the shallow controversial news reporting, and psychedelic drugs of course are thrown in there to pull on that age old hysteria around psychedelics.

It's just irresponsible reporting. Nobody benefits, not least the person who we all now know has mental health issues and probably sought to actually help himself albeit in a detrimental way. It's not like he read up on how to solve his issues by creating napalm and then experimenting with it in his local community. He sought to use a medicine for personal use to get better but got the wrong end of the stick.

Don't mention the mental illness unless it's necessary. There's no reason to mention his bipolar in this post.
I get your point, but the morality of journalists are another topic all together.
If you can't understand why they chose to include it, I can't explain it more than I already have. 🤷‍♂️

I get your point, but the morality of journalists are another topic all together.
If you can't understand why they chose to include it, I can't explain it more than I already have. 🤷‍♂️
I wasn't assuming it had anything to do with you. You don't need to explain anything. I'm just all for mental health acceptance and being more kinder and compassionate and accepting.

I wasn't assuming it had anything to do with you. You don't need to explain anything. I'm just all for mental health acceptance and being more kinder and compassionate and accepting.
Sorry, I didn't mean to come off harsh. I certainly get what you mean, I do - but in this case I think the mental health aspect was a good thing to keep. Being manic/depressed without meds can make you do some weird stuff, is all I'm saying.

I am fairly certain that the story is fake, so I've heard

I am fairly certain that the story is fake, so I've heard
I heard Santa lives in Bollywood. Please, feel free to show us the light. It would only make me happy if this idiocy was made up.

I find this story very difficult to believe, but if it happened, why highlight that this guy suffered from mental illness? How is that really relevant from a medical/harm reduction perspective? It's not, but it paints an inaccurate, stigma driven view of his mental health condition.

I don't have it myself, but the people I've known who do aren't the types of people who'd do something as dumb as injecting a mushroom. Also, this entire story has the vibe of the alleged guy who took acid years ago and forever thinks he's a glass of orange juice. Just reeks to high heaven of bs.

Last edited:
I find this story very difficult to believe, but if it happened, why highlight that this guy suffered from mental illness? How is that really relevant from a medical/harm reduction perspective? It's not, but it paints an inaccurate, stigma driven view of his mental health condition.
Because when you're manic, you sometimes do stupid shit. It's very relevant. Stigma? What are you on about?
Why is everybody making him more of a victim than he already is? And none of the people making him a victim even have bipolar. Are we this butthurt, really?
I don't have it myself, but the people I've known who do aren't the types of people who'd do something as dumb as injecting a mushroom.
You don't have it yourself? In other words, you have no idea what it's like? Good for your friends. :)

drug$=koo1

giphy.gif

The man had bipolar disorder type 1, the doctors who wrote the case study learned, and he hadn't been taking his medications, so had been going through manic and depressive episodes.

@finitelifeform & @LandsUnknown -
this has transgressed into comedy. What is so demonic and stigmatizing about their portrayal of bipolar here?
None of you have bipolar, but you crusade for it anyways. We're good, thank you. 😄

The man had bipolar disorder type 1, the doctors who wrote the case study learned, and he hadn't been taking his medications, so had been going through manic and depressive episodes.

@finitelifeform & @LandsUnknown -
this has transgressed into comedy. What is so demonic and stigmatizing about their portrayal of bipolar here?
None of you have bipolar, but you crusade for it anyways. We're good, thank you. 😄
No transgression on my part. The article wreaks of stigma like already mentioned above is all.
The article has no substance whatsoever. It seems like a passive aggressive dig at both mental illness and psychedelics. Two combinations that have historically always been melded together in order to push narratives that psychedelics are dangerous and that you absolutely have to be crazy to take them or even believe they have medicinal benefits and that there is something inherently wrong with you and society needs rid of you. And if you are mentally unwell as well? Well, you really do deserve to be dehumanized.

If the article had substance and perhaps talked more about both psychedelics and mental health it would be more acceptable seeing as it would be obvious the article seeks to educate. There is no education in this article, no reference to studies on psychedelic research, no reference to bipolar disorder within a context of someone experiencing difficulty, no guidance for those who may also be experiencing difficulty with mental illness and no reference to helplines, mental health resources etc. It's written by someone who seems to find the negatives in the story and then publish it in order to get as many reactions as possible propagating the superficiality of the article and it's baseless careless empty narrative. Trash journalism essentially.

We don't need that kind of journalism. That's the kind of material that got people believing MDMA put holes in your brain and LSD damaged chromosomes. It's only a small step and then we are in the world of hysteria yet again. A place we have gradually been returning from after several decades of being bombarded with propaganda about drugs and mental illness. Ironically, Blue Light is a good example of what was forged in that propaganda. A forum created in order to attempt to neutralize the threat of being completely isolated and potentially harmed by said propaganda, both in terms of drug consumption, mental illness and other health problems. Just because we live in much more hospitable times, at least when it comes to drugs, does not mean the forces that sought to instill the hysteria upon us all can't and won't ever return if we gave them the opportunity.