• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Biking Nerds Unite

my winter tires from my winter bike:

Picture114.jpg

out riding last weekend:

Picture030.jpg

Last edited:
everyone that "checks out my tires" gets poked.
I have had many people become interested in my studded tires, and they end up getting stuck.
Im putting them in storage soon.

Was wondering if anybody bikes in the rain. Not just when you have to go somewhere, but for fitness/pleasure. If you do bike in the rain, what do you wear? Do you have fenders on your bike to stop the water from splashing up at you?

You're probably laughing right now but the rain lately has really been a thorn in my side with wanting to bike. If I didn't get cold so easily, I would just bike in the rain... But I'm clueless as to what to wear to not overheat/drown. 8(

I don't seek out riding in the rain, but I've had to do it a few times to get to where I needed to go, and once you get properly soaked you don't feel cold, and it just feels good. I'd certainly recommend it. Be sure that you have a dry towel waiting for you wherever you end up-- I've only ridden home in the rain.

Dave, do you have fenders on your bike?

I've ridden home in the rain before and it SUCKED--I couldn't feel my fingers or toes when I got in... Though I am in a bit better shape now with biking and Raynaud's...

Dave, do you have fenders on your bike?

I've ridden home in the rain before and it SUCKED--I couldn't feel my fingers or toes when I got in... Though I am in a bit better shape now with biking and Raynaud's...

It only sucks when it's obviously too cold and/or you don't wear enough and/or you let the rain get to you. A long sleeve t-shirt plus gloves is a good combination. Then, as Dave mentions, go get soaked, as long as you have a towel awaiting your arrival.

^ Yeah, I'm looking to ride in the weather lately (high 30s to 40s and rainy). Looks like I'll just have to wait for the clearer days. Might even go for a ride later this evening--It's dry for once. :p

That bike did have fenders, but there's nothing wrong with a bit of good, clean dirt! The rainy rides I did were in the peak of summer, just after yoga, and generally only lasted for 5-10 minutes. Much longer than that, and I could really see some chafing or what not becoming an issue. When it comes to fun rides, I'm generally a pretty fair weather rider.

It's about twenty minutes on a bike from any destinations to my house. At one point I was able to do it in twelve minutes, but I am not in that kind of shape anymore (yet!). But yeah, rainy rides in summer I can see... Spring and Fall, not so much unless I find so rain gear suitable for biking. Looks like I'm stickin' to the fair weather days.

The ride tonight was awesome despite the light drizzle when I first started.

running sucks; riding the road on one speed--pedal locked to wheel is the only way to go.

That said, I converted my 25 yr old Nishiki ten speed touring bike to a 52/17 fixed gear for less than the price it would have been to repair and maintain all of the old parts.

It rides like a dream and perpetual soreness is not a problem. Steel frame means it's still heavy, but it makes no noise cruising down the road. I can beat cars out of lights and hang with them inside city limits (< 35 mph). I actually yelled at a car to go around me yesterday...just annoyed at having a half-assed, aloof driver driving behind me.

Love the bike and the conversion was the best thing I could do:

TFUno.jpg

I'm curious about fixies/singlespeed; been thinking about building one for a while. I figure that it would be a fun commuter/city bomber, and I can save my speed demon for touring.

Riddle me this: how long did it take you to get used to riding a fixie vs. a flywheel, and is braking much more difficult?

I'm curious about fixies/singlespeed; been thinking about building one for a while. I figure that it would be a fun commuter/city bomber, and I can save my speed demon for touring.

Riddle me this: how long did it take you to get used to riding a fixie vs. a flywheel, and is braking much more difficult?

speed demon?--this is my speed demon; conservation of angular momentum due to crank/wheel locking. If you plan for a hill climb--you will fly up it.

I rode a friends out of curiosity; nearly crashed upon first try but was instantly hooked after a ride through the parking lot. Braking 'fixed' uses alot of concentric muscle contraction--this will leave you very sore but builds alot of muscle.

Braking is difficult at first and i'm not dumb enough to do the hipster thing and get rid of my 'e'-brakes(normal calipers). But i recommend toe straps so you can push/pull to stop the rig. 52/17 Is a high gearing and can be a beast to slow down on an incline. Lower gearings are much more conducive-- to beginner riding, as they allow a higher amount of torque to be generated for starting and stopping--but mine fucking flies and I like that.

You can skid stop too, but you better have an odd ratio--mine will have like 17 odd patches depending on where I stop the cranks. A 48/16 will have just three and will blow through tires if this is how you choose to stop.

Try a friend's or test drive one at a bike shop--you'll probably like it; it's like driving manual--once you gain that level of control over your machine you won't happily relent.

Or pick a gear on your freewheel and try riding around in it for a day;experiment to see what you'd like--but don't let yourself coast. A fixed gear is a hell of a workout.

This is a helpful site to check out if your interested:
http://sheldonbrown.com/fixed/index.html

I moved from Chicago to New Hampshire for grad school. The change in topography (read totally flat to very hilly) wasn't enough to make me kick my fixie habit. I road August thru to the present with my fixie, rain, snow, wind, etc.

Riding fixed single handedly whipped me into shape for tackling new hampshire's hills faster than I would have ever imagined.

mine's a slightly smaller ratio than yours but not by far; I'd have to count the front ring because I always forget but its either 52/18 or 50/18 . I have a front brake that I keep loose [to avoid flipping over the bars] for when I'm heading down a hill

Eventually I'll get a new bike, but this one has sentimental value; its a trooper too. 3 car crashes (2 hit and run) and still riding.. albeit with a slightly bent left seat stay.

for those thinking of trying out fixed riding: wear a helmet, obey the traffic laws, use breaks, and enjoy, you'll love it.

I moved from Chicago to New Hampshire for grad school. The change in topography (read totally flat to very hilly) wasn't enough to make me kick my fixie habit. I road August thru to the present with my fixie, rain, snow, wind, etc.

Riding fixed single handedly whipped me into shape for tackling new hampshire's hills faster than I would have ever imagined.

mine's a slightly smaller ratio than yours but not by far; I'd have to count the front ring because I always forget but its either 52/18 or 50/18 . I have a front brake that I keep loose [to avoid flipping over the bars] for when I'm heading down a hill

Eventually I'll get a new bike, but this one has sentimental value; its a trooper too. 3 car crashes (2 hit and run) and still riding.. albeit with a slightly bent left seat stay.

for those thinking of trying out fixed riding: wear a helmet, obey the traffic laws, use breaks, and enjoy, you'll love it.

yea, my cities on the fall line--i hit anaerobic overload on about half the hills--but it whips you into shape so fast; you never stop hurting, but the hills just start going by quicker.

It's pretty good (once you are comfortable) in traffic--I beat a line of cars through the city for 2mi during rush hour today.

Brakes are a must. A front break should do as the chain functions as a rear brake. If you find yourself frequently going fast or needing to stop at the bottom of hills--a rear brake can be necessary. Skid stops just aren't as efficient to stop with, and some things require instant reaction time.

However, I've found myself frequently bending traffic laws, though in complete safety.

I am a fellow MTB'r, I own a specialized hardrock disc with a upgraded rockshox fork and bontrager seat. I love blasting through trails and hucking/jumping my bike. I ride everyday M-F when the weather is nice.

My new baby.
7793.jpg

I am a fellow MTB'r, I own a specialized hardrock disc with a upgraded rockshox fork and bontrager seat. I love blasting through trails and hucking/jumping my bike. I ride everyday M-F when the weather is nice.

My new baby.
7793.jpg

Nice. trails were what got me into biking.
Hardtail is certainly the way to go.

Was wondering if anybody bikes in the rain. Not just when you have to go somewhere, but for fitness/pleasure. If you do bike in the rain, what do you wear? Do you have fenders on your bike to stop the water from splashing up at you?

You're probably laughing right now but the rain lately has really been a thorn in my side with wanting to bike. If I didn't get cold so easily, I would just bike in the rain... But I'm clueless as to what to wear to not overheat/drown. 8(

link to online retailer for front and rear fenders:
http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/16219-117_SETFR6_SET-2-Accessories-28-Fenders/Sette-Slik-Fender---Front-And-Rear-Set-offer.htm?utm_source=SLI&utm_medium=datafeed&utm_campaign=FTP&zmam=3075515&zmas=1&zmac=43&zmap=117%20SETFR6%20SET.htm
I own these fenders for 2 years now, and they are the best I have ever owned. I use a mtb 1 1/8 aheadset "flower" that goes "up" the bottom of the forks tube to attatch the front fenders. They are very durable.

It is important to use fenders to avoid the oily filthy garbage water that is on the street from getting on your clothes.
Riding a bike is an uniqe experience because you are usually exercising enough to keep very warm.
I personally wear a lightweight polyester base layer (tights and long sleeve shirt) to keep my body warmth close to me while still being breathable.
I also wear pants that unzip the entire length of the leg, and also my parka has pit zips and double zippers on the front so I can allow the bottom to let in air to make my coat ventilate.
If you wear a helmet (you REALLY should) invest in a ski-mask type neophrone thingy. Get a thin one that will fit underneath your helmet and you can take it off when it gets unbearable.

ps: At the beginng of every season, I waterproof my rain gear with waterproofing spray. You can buy it in a can at Wal-Mart or a sporting goods store. My rain gear is Nylon Sailboating bibs and a parka.

3M waterproofing spray
In a can

Last edited: