• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants Betel Nut Experience

Neuroborean

Bluelight Crew
I'm now trying betel nuts

I got some of them dried, like, rock hard dried....

I noticed that it wouldn't work without some hard work on my part. And my experience is that it really it that way. The first time it didn't work at all, I tried with one and without lime, trying to destroy the nut, with mortar and pestle... well, I kinda get it but it was too hard and too much of an effort. It really didn't work more than placebo.

I'm getting some at the moment with one and a half.
I had to smash it with a hammer, for a long time, and even then there were quite large pieces, and again give it a good time with a mortar....
and keep it in my mouth for another while, chewing. Oh my God, what a pain in the ass! At least this time it seems to have worked.

Of course, I can't talk about it being a very strong stimulation, nor can I talk about it being a very relaxing relaxation.
haha, I must sound a bit silly trying to express, the thing is, it's not easy.
You get kind of stunned. It's not bad. A mix of relaxation and stimulation, like kratom but stranger, it produces a warmth in the chest, not as inviting as with kratom but more pushing. I don't consider it social, however I find it more intoxicating, in a mild sense, no doubt.
I didn't know what to do with the stuff and after leaving it in my mouth for a while I swallowed it with some juice.

The taste is earthy, astringent and slightly foul, but just barely.
There is a slight change in vision (blurred and better appreciation of shapes and colors) and I can fully understand that it is addictive in its fresh form, supposedly it is not that complicated to consume as it comes with a betel leaf, a bit of lime already included and a piece of plant called mustard stick. Hindus spice it and take it dry, in small pieces. It is called Paan or Supari, although I do not remember if they are different things.

The buzz is quite short but quite noticeable and in the form of body rush and a mental change of instant relaxation and a wave of euphoria, small but clearly not placebo. Certainly it has all the ingredients to be an addictive substance since it is quite versatile, as I write I think of the things I still have to do and the feeling of euphoria I feel makes me think that it will not cost me to do it, and I have no feeling of "weight" when thinking about it (my adhd usually affects me in this aspect) but I feel that it is not so much and that I will do it little by little. It certainly seems perfectly compatible with daily activities, especially tedious and monotonous ones, a gentle, interesting and functional stimulant.

I'm going to go get a pinch of lime that I need to finish my recipe.
I forgot to say that after destroying the nuts I put the remains in a little water and beat with a blender, imagine how hard the nut is so that I had to keep chewing it to turn it into paste. I have been almost an hour of effect and I am very very relaxed, more than active, although I do notice the body with energy and especially stamina (potentially, of course) I have a very clear mind and very good mood.
I finish telling what I did with the recipe, after passing it through the blender, I put everything in a small glass of coffee and I have been pouring a little lime (pinches) in the mixture, stirring and taking the mixture (dark red water with pieces of walnut) and putting it in my mouth.

I have one sip left and the last bits, I would like to do more and spend the whole afternoon like this, but I will avoid doing it, I have enough with my kratom habit.....

The main active substance is called arecoline (the plant is areca catechu, a palm from Southeast Asia) Supposedly its effect is similar to nicotine, but it acts differently on the receptors, as I remember the muscarinic ones, being an agonist of these receptors. It has good effects on the body, at various levels and besides being considered medicinal (arecoline) it is also a nootropic due to its effect on acetylcholine.
The problem with areca nut/betel nut and arecoline is that it is considered a cancerogen and its abusive consumption produces problems in the mouth (such as cancer). There are some doubts about this because it may be the mixture with lime that causes the problem and not the arecoline itself. We will have to be careful and investigate more....

I hope that some of you will try it or tell me about your experiences, in my case it has been positive, I like it and I will do it again sometime. It is quite pleasant.

Some hugs!

Edit: I would say that the most definite effect after the little rush is anxyolisis and potent anti-depressant qualities, much more interesting than nicotine or coffee (but less stimulating than coffee in terms of physical push). Surely addictive, gonna try another nut. (fortunately I just have a few)

Last edited:
Interesting! After reading the Consumer's Union Report on Licit and Illicit Drugs I'd always wanted to try this.
It's worth the try, but I'm so fucked up thinking that I'm missing the fresh thing, since fresh seems to be the real deal, and the dried nuts pale in comparision.
In anycase I made it work, now I'm still so so, with a strange intoxicating calm and feeling nice, but the stimulation and euphoria is almost gone.
It is reinforcing but the thing is that the nuts are so hard to break into little pieces that it doesn't really worth it unless you do it all at once, and/or perhaps do some extract or something like that.

That surely is very interesting to try. Seems that methanol gets the goodies.

Last edited:
I should maybe change my username to "Old Hippie" since I tried many things discussed here oh so long ago.
As far as my faulty memory recalls, Betel reminded me quite a bit of tobacco. Stimulating and relaxing at the same time and calming, felt a lot like tobacco.
It's often mixed with tobacco in the countries where it is used. It's as addicting as tobacco.

There used to be an OTC product to help quit cigarettes which contained Arecoline but the name escapes me at the moment.

Arecoline has been compared to nicotine; however, nicotine agonizes nicotinic acetylcholine receptors, whereas arecoline is primarily a partial agonist of muscarinic acetylcholine receptors,[4][5] leading to its parasympathetic effects."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Areco...red to,leading to its parasympathetic effects."

I should maybe change my username to "Old Hippie" since I tried many things discussed here oh so long ago.
As far as my faulty memory recalls, Betel reminded me quite a bit of tobacco. Stimulating and relaxing at the same time and calming, felt a lot like tobacco.
It's often mixed with tobacco in the countries where it is used. It's as addicting as tobacco.

There used to be an OTC product to help quit cigarettes which contained Arecoline but the name escapes me at the moment.

Arecoline has been compared to nicotine; however, nicotine agonizes nicotinic acetylcholine receptors, whereas arecoline is primarily a partial agonist of muscarinic acetylcholine receptors,[4][5] leading to its parasympathetic effects."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arecoline#:~:text=Arecoline has been compared to,leading to its parasympathetic effects."
yeah, it's a muscarinic nicotine-like agonist, seen as a stimulant, but seems that in lower doses (probably bad preparation or dry nuts are more difficult to achieve bigger amounts of bioavailable arecoline/arecaidine).
it's surely addictive, but the effects are amazing, while being quite subtle (except for the first rush, which is not too subtle).

I read something yesterday, that the lime converts arecoline (muscarinic agonist) into arecaidine that it's a mao-a inhibitor, gaba reuptake inhibitor and gaba agonist. It feels pretty wholesome, subtle but wholesomE. For me it was more relaxing than anything else, but I liked it a lot.

yeah, it's a muscarinic nicotine-like agonist, seen as a stimulant, but seems that in lower doses (probably bad preparation or dry nuts are more difficult to achieve bigger amounts of bioavailable arecoline/arecaidine).
it's surely addictive, but the effects are amazing, while being quite subtle (except for the first rush, which is not too subtle).

I read something yesterday, that the lime converts arecoline (muscarinic agonist) into arecaidine that it's a mao-a inhibitor, gaba reuptake inhibitor and gaba agonist. It feels pretty wholesome, subtle but wholesome
I kinda find tobacco amazing for a lot of the reasons you mentioned in your OP. You feel stimulated but calm and you can do it all day and function perfectly fine, better actually.

Too bad it kills you and all that.

There's only one drug that periodically taps me on the shoulder and reminds me of it's presence even after a year of abstinence and more. Lady nicotine. Mark Twain said that quiting tobacco is easy, he's done it hundreds of times. Me too.

I need to advice all you,
be very careful with the lime, just a bit is enough, I put too much today and my tongue and inner lip is feeling burned...
It worked pretty good today too, but ...
No one wants to be burned..
This will deter me to try again tomorrow. But it's very nice on the end of the day. Stimulated peace
I kinda find tobacco amazing for a lot of the reasons you mentioned in your OP. You feel stimulated but calm and you can do it all day and function perfectly fine, better actually.

Too bad it kills you and all that.

There's only one drug that periodically taps me on the shoulder and reminds me of it's presence even after a year of abstinence and more. Lady nicotine. Mark Twain said that quiting tobacco is easy, he's done it hundreds of times. Me too.
I never like it too much, but I ended up addicted, because of smoking marihuana, for a long time, I always mixed and at the end of my period of cannabis "abuse" I realized the cannabis was shit to me (anxiety and paranoia) but I kept smoking because of the tobacco.
it was very concerning and fucked up considering that I never used tobacco on its own! My body "liked it"
but this areca thing is better, more wholesome, more stimulating in a gentle way, the flush is fun and the final relaxation is great.

Good info on the conversion to arecaidine via lime! I’d like to know more about this drug, maybe it’d be easy to extract arecoline then synthesize arecaidine.

-GC

lol wow I never thought I'd see a post about betel nut here... I remeber when I was growing up they used to sell the nuts and stuff at mom and pop stores just in little sandwhich bags. Apparently a lot of people used it on the island I grew up on but I was always put off of it because there were anti-drug campaigns against it and it showed how messed up your teeth and mouth could get from regular usage of it...

Actually, thinking about that makes me quite sad. Now I can't stop smoking meth once a week and even now my mouth is in pain and feeling raw from what I'm assuming is the caustic nature of the vapors I inhale each time I smoke it. :(

Good info on the conversion to arecaidine via lime! I’d like to know more about this drug, maybe it’d be easy to extract arecoline then synthesize arecaidine.

-GC
Maybe this helps us to begin some attempts,
I copy-paste from "DARK classics from chemical neuroscience: Arecoline."

"
Arecoline isolation from plants was first reported in 1888 by E. Jahns, a German pharmacist from Göttingen.1,15 Other related alkaloids, arecaidine, guavacoline, and guavacine, have also been identified at the same time.13,15,16 Arecoline is a colorless oily alkalinic liquid which is soluble in water, ethanol, ether, and chloroform.13,15 Its hydrobromide salt is colorless water-soluble crystals with a melting temperature of 167−168 °C.13,15 Boiling or pressure treatment with hydrochloric acid, as well as heating with alkaline, results in arecoline hydrolysis at its ester group, generating arecaidine13,15 which is also present in areca nuts. This compound (2, Figures 1 and 2) contains carboxyl group whose esterification by methanol produces arecoline."

I think this was the source where I first saw what I said, super interesting :

"Alkaloids include arecoline, arecaidine, guvacoline, guvacine, isoguvacine, and choline (arecaidine and guvacine are derived from arecoline and guvacoline, respectively, through hydroxylation in the presence of lime) (Figure 1 and Table 1) (Chandak, Chandak, & Rawlani, 2013; Senthil Amudhan, Hazeena Begum, & Hebbar, 2012; Yang et al., 2012). Arecoline, the most abundant alkaloid of areca, acts as a nonselective muscarinic and nicotinic receptor agonist. It is responsible for the parasympathomimetic effects of areca preparations (Coppola & Mondola, 2012). Differently to arecoline and guvacoline, arecaidine and guvacine act as competitive gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA) uptake inhibitors. They are transported across the membrane of enterocytes via H+-coupled amino acid transporter 1 (PAT1, SLC36A1), which is expressed in the intestinal epithelium. Arecaidine appears to be the principal responsible for the psychotropic effects produced by areca. Contrarily, isoguvacine has shown to be a GABA receptor agonist (Voigta et al., 2013). Additionally, isoguvacine, gallic acid, tannic acid, and diosgenin have shown acetylcholinesterase inhibitory activity in vitro (Table 2) (Ghayur et al., 2011). Studies performed in animal models of depression have shown that alcoholic and aqueous fractions of areca can produce antidepressant effects through both monoamine oxidase A inhibition and the release of serotonin and noradrenaline. However, considering that areca alkaloids tested were not able to produce these effects, it is plausible that antidepressant activity is related to the polyphenols’ activity (Figure 2 and 3) (Abbas et al., 2013; Dar & Khatoon, 2000)."

So you think we could get some dry arecaidine-rich extract adding lime when extracting?
how would you do that?

Apparently a lot of people used it on the island I grew up on but I was always put off of it because there were anti-drug campaigns against it and it showed how messed up your teeth and mouth could get from regular usage of it...
Yep, it's pretty fucked up, but my intuition and common sense tells me that it's likely derived from lime causticity, more than any other thing, probably the mixture of all (specially when lime it's included) it's what wrecks your mouth, they use it with tobacco, betel leaves and lime, the arecoline itself it's probably pro-inflammatory and pro-fibrotic on its own (from what I remember) but much likely not "caustic" nor toxic enough to cause anything without all the rest (at least without lime)
In anycase I wouldn't ever recommend its daily usage, since it's as addictive as nicotine, I think.

I need to advice all you,
be very careful with the lime, just a bit is enough, I put too much today and my tongue and inner lip is feeling burned...
It worked pretty good today too, but ...
No one wants to be burned..
This will deter me to try again tomorrow. But it's very nice on the end of the day. Stimulated peace

I never like it too much, but I ended up addicted, because of smoking marihuana, for a long time, I always mixed and at the end of my period of cannabis "abuse" I realized the cannabis was shit to me (anxiety and paranoia) but I kept smoking because of the tobacco.
it was very concerning and fucked up considering that I never used tobacco on its own! My body "liked it"
but this areca thing is better, more wholesome, more stimulating in a gentle way, the flush is fun and the final relaxation is great.

Why don't you just use tobacco on its own? I always hated the combination of marijuana and tobacco, to me, tobacco ruins all the nice qualities of marijuana. It seems really common in Europe for some reason.

Why don't you just use tobacco on its own? I always hated the combination of marijuana and tobacco, to me, tobacco ruins all the nice qualities of marijuana. It seems really common in Europe for some reason.
No I never used tobacco on its own, neither like it, I just realized that I was addicted to it, but yes, in Europe is very common, not sure why, only people who are very into cannabis use cannabis on its own.
I considered cannabis too strong on its own when I smoked it.

Yea it’s very strange indeed, as you said @Neuroborean it seems to be this idea that a straight cannabis joint is too much.

Maybe a number of reasons for this.. First I know hashish is much more common over there which likely is often smoked with a tobacco base. The practice could have extended to cannabis as well.

Americans might also just have a higher tolerance too lol we smoke a lot of weed round here :) While UK youth are eating MDMA pills at a young age, our youth like to smoke bud and veg out playing video games or whatever.

-GC