• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

Best/Worst Sports Personalities

reggie miller's a good one. ex-players are almost universally so terrible at their jobs. i suppose they've been taught to rely on nothing but cliches.

what really gets me is how short-sighted they are. sometimes it feels like they say short-sighted shit just to get ratings. like yesterday charles barkley saying the mavs are > than the spurs.

he was prob one of the same idiots talking about how good the mavs were last yearbecause they won ALL THOSE CLOSE GAMES SO CLUTCH!, yet probably never ate the requisite crow when they got pwned

Similar to how Torry Holt is right now. He COULD be good in the future, but the game I heard him commentate for, he was pretty uncomfortable sounding and wanted to make sure the TV audience knew he knew what he was talking about. It sounded forced.

don_cherry3.jpg

Don Cherry

I like Warren Sapp, he makes Showtime's Inside The NFL tolerable. He also makes pretty good picks week to week. I love how he tells it how it is, like his take on playing for The Raiders. Talked about how the phone would ring while he was on the field (Al Davis calling) and his teammate would tell him "we're going long". Mr. Sapp was like what the fuck. The owner is calling the goddamn plays.

That is when I knew that franchise would be fucked til Al Davis dies.

Michael Irvin always cracks me up. Me and him go to the same pharmacy. Never talked to the guy though, he always wears sunglasses and a cap, which is the universal "don't talk to me" sign.

As far as guys who didn't go to UM, I know everybody here will hate me for this but I actually like Chris Collinsworth. When we commentates in a game he comes prepared and actually knows what the fuck he is talking about, even if his voice is annoying and he says the occasional boneheaded thing.

Kirk Herbstriet is the only guy covering college football who is worth listening to, so I like him. He always shows his love for UM, so I like him even more for that. And he does it while staying true to his Buckeyes, so they can't view him as a sellout either.

I never listen to a prediction that Lee Corso makes, but the guy does have a sense of humor. He may suck at the important part of his job, but he provides good entertainment.

Bob Griese is alright as well. I wish I could say something nice about Dan Marino, but that guy has post-concussion syndrome for sure. It's a damn shame.

I think Herbstreit walks the line perfectly from paying respect to his Buckeyes (where he was never even outstanding, lol) and coming at the game with a shred of intelligence (most NCAA football announcers just piss me off)

lots of Buckeyes fans dislike him because he's not a big enough homer, and isn't afraid to pick tOSU in losing. which is kinda funny

^ I believe this thread is designated for best/worst sports commentators, announcers, or play-by-play personalities. I could be wrong, but it would probably be better to have two separate threads if the OP did intend to discuss the best/worst personalities of actual athletes

Yeah, but T.O. is abolutely a TV personality so I had to mention something about him. I think if he gets a good CBT/DBT therapist and some decent psyche meds he could actually contribute the right type of effort that can result in motivated teammates and actual wins, not just TD receptions. If he got "patriotized" next year he could add a LOT to that team with his run blocking ability, his tackle breaking ability, and just every other highly athletic capability that we all know T.O. is capable of when his child-like mind isn't rendering him toxic to every team that he plays for. I think the Patriots, with their prevailing tradition of excellence, would maybe finally "fix" the main problem with him. Though it is a lot to expect T.O. to be a model citizen, he could at least buy into Belichick's philosophy while the Patriots mitigate any distraction he may cause. It's a stretch, I know, but he's going to be on the market again if he doesn't retire first.
I also wonder what will become of Randy Moss, but I think he has almost no competitive edge these days, which makes me think that he will be more likely to retire. But I digress...
But yeah greatest of all time=Bob Costas. Period.

I personally don't mind Skip Bayless, he used to be a good reporter for the Dallas news back in my father's heyday. His positions when he argues on First and Ten are usually pretty well thought out, but sometimes I do think he just goes for the shock factor, and the only way he seems to know how to shock is by saying things that are extremely self-righteous.

I like Adam Schefter, the NFL insider. He seems like a really sharp guy and is always on point with whatever the subject is.

Last edited:
I just saw the Chris Berman video and I didn't think it was that much of a meltdown. He's certainly no BillOReilly even though he does drop the Fbomb a few times, he doesn't seem to be as directed towards one or two people but just saying "all of you are fucking unprofessional and I'm trying to concentrate!" which doesn't seem so bad.