• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Best OTC (non-prescription) medications for sleeping disorders?

If you have any kind of psychiatric history or are on a mental health plan for depression or anxiety they increasingly will prescribe seroquel for sleep. Just as they are rapidly reducing scripts for benzos. I got a new GP the other day who flat out refused to prescribe benzos or z-drugs even though my psychiatrist has been giving them to me for years. She said it’s seroquel or melatonin from here. Full stop. The practice refuses to prescribe benzos or opioids under any circumstances.
This is totally fucked up. If all prescribers are aware of the dangers of benzodiazepines why don't they team up and sue pharma companies for misleading claims when downplaying the risks. It is not like these are new medications. For half a century they were widely prescribed and if this class of medication is so dangerous then they messed up lots of people all over the world. I am on benzodiazepines for 20 years and I know how bad this substance can get a grip on your CNS. Am also aware that in the UK class lawsuit was tried and failed. These are not the medications that are supposed to be prescribed like candy, but then again this is a classical overreaction. They are valuable medications and should be prescribed with care and diligence. OK, I am sorry, guess I needed venting.

Regarding OTC sleep - melatonin, valerian root extract, some "sleep combo" that contains the two mentioned, and some other things like L-tryptophan, L-theanine, GABA, passion flower extract, lemon balm extract, chamomile...

This is totally fucked up. If all prescribers are aware of the dangers of benzodiazepines why don't they team up and sue pharma companies for misleading claims when downplaying the risks. It is not like these are new medications. For half a century they were widely prescribed and if this class of medication is so dangerous then they messed up lots of people all over the world. I am on benzodiazepines for 20 years and I know how bad this substance can get a grip on your CNS. Am also aware that in the UK class lawsuit was tried and failed. These are not the medications that are supposed to be prescribed like candy, but then again this is a classical overreaction. They are valuable medications and should be prescribed with care and diligence. OK, I am sorry, guess I needed venting.

Regarding OTC sleep - melatonin, valerian root extract, some "sleep combo" that contains the two mentioned, and some other things like L-tryptophan, L-theanine, GABA, passion flower extract, lemon balm extract, chamomile...
There is a definitely a school of doctors who believe patients should suffer stoically like it’s good for their character. What surprises me is how many of these morally righteous doctors are young females.

Meth every day often leads to paradoxical tiredness. If I go for a week or more of daily smoking I take afternoon naps on it.
Yeah I use 3 or 4 days a week on average which is definitely way too much. Only one point each time but still more than I'd like.

I received some extracts including passion flower and blue lotus today so will trial them this week.

In my experience if I hadn't gotten help for my h problem then I could have a script for s lot of better things than just methadone!
I know peoples prescribed zopicole, pregabs and dhc all in one.
Or tramadol and clonazepam and occasionally zops and gabapentin.
Think when I'm old I'll go for an oxy script...

Well my referral for the psychiatrist got knocked back, so any chance of acquiring a decent script is pretty much out the window. Insomnia just gets worse and I'm piling on kilos from lack of physical activity.

My GP wrote me a new script for valium this week, which helps immensely. She agrees that Zopiclone would be great for me as not only is it effective for chronic insomnia, but also for PTSD, but unfortunately cannot prescribe it due to our shitty laws. She is considering trying me on a low dose of Seroquel to see if that helps. Anybody have any experience with it?

Well my referral for the psychiatrist got knocked back, so any chance of acquiring a decent script is pretty much out the window. Insomnia just gets worse and I'm piling on kilos from lack of physical activity.

My GP wrote me a new script for valium this week, which helps immensely. She agrees that Zopiclone would be great for me as not only is it effective for chronic insomnia, but also for PTSD, but unfortunately cannot prescribe it due to our shitty laws. She is considering trying me on a low dose of Seroquel to see if that helps. Anybody have any experience with it?
Seroquel is great for insomnia. You only need 25-50 mg to get you off. And it’s a really deep sleep. I actually prefer it over valium both for general insomnia and for post-drug binge insomnia. It does encourage eating though even at those doses. You’ll feel your appetite increase.

Seroquel is great for insomnia. You only need 25-50 mg to get you off. And it’s a really deep sleep. I actually prefer it over valium both for general insomnia and for post-drug binge insomnia. It does encourage eating though even at those doses. You’ll feel your appetite increase.
Good to know, it's been roughly a year without a decent, restorative sleep so I'm getting desperate for some relief.