Mental Health Best Medications for Borderline Personality Disorder?

ChemicallyEnhanced

Bluelighter
Your answers can come from being a professional, experience, whatever you like.

I have it very severely (my psych doc said I score a 96% for it, which is the worst he has seen in 16 years). My meds don't seem to be working as well as they used to and I'm looking for something new to ask my doctor about?

Currently, I'm prescribed (dose is total per day, not per dose)*
Sertraline (Zoloft) 150mg
Quetiapine (Seroquel) 200mg
Chlorpromazine (Thorazine) 300mg
Trazodone 300mg

I guess you could include Gabapentin (1800mg/day) which I take for neuropathic pain, but which is used for PTSD/anxiety and as a mood stabilizer sometimes.
Ditto Depakote (800mg/day) which I take for seizures.

*these are just the meds that relate to my BPD. I take several other meds for unrelated things (seizures, physical pain, etc)

unfortunately, they don't really have meds for personality disorders, but they have meds that can make some symptoms easier to deal with

sertraline can go to 200mg-300mg in practice, and Seroquel can reach 800mg, from a quick glance. might want to ask about those.

Hi, I also have BPD/EUPD, and AlphaMethylPhenyl is right - there are no direct meds for BPD,only meds to control the symptoms. CBT&DBT seem to have good results although it didn't suit me,but they can give you anxiolytics, sleeping tablets, mood stabilisers and regular check ups with a psychiatric nurse, if not a Dr as that's impossible these days.
I really feel for you , BPD is so hard to live with and for others to understand. Anyway I hope you get some relief soon🥰🥰🥰🥰

BPD is a weird diagnosis. I don't mean to pry and feel free not to answer, but if you have any trauma history I'd look into changing it to cPTSD. I was hit with a 'developing borderline personality organisation' in early 2018 and knowing how stigmatised the label is I marched right into my psychiatrists office and told her to remove it from my records immediately. She pointed out I met some of the criteria - impulsive drug use and self harm, some unstable relationships, emotional dysregulation, suicide attempts, dissociation.

I pointed out that I have friends who are diagnosed with BPD, and for some of them it cost us our friendship when they were undiagnosed and they had pervasive issues in their relationships. I don't - my mates have been my mates for years and shit doesn't change. We have normal ups and downs, but nothing major. The ONE unstable relationship is with my father (highly abusive).

I pointed out that my drug use and self harm are not impulsive, nor is the self-harm done to avoid abandonment. The drug use is deliberate and a response to a trigger and an attempt to avoid or self punish, and the self-harm is linked to shame and self punishment. I explicitly hide my self-harm and do not discuss it with friends unless I need to seek medical attention, and I do not do it in response to interpersonal issues.

The emotional dysregulation one I didn't argue with. Absolutely true, but could be other explanations.

Suicide attempts were through reckless behaviour, not fear of abandonment. I wanted to end the issue of my familial abuse.

I do dissociate, when triggered.

When I disclosed my trauma history to her, she was like 'ahhh, you don't have BPD, you have cPTSD' and I'm like 'what? I didn't want a new diagnosis I just wanted that one gone.' 'CPTSD, like PTSD but, you know, a bunch worse. So all the normal symptoms plus major interpersonal issues. Actually now I think about it this makes total sense. You've always had issues with self-blame, self-worth, shame, guilt, and trust. I'm surprised I got it wrong. The self-harm really threw me off but it even fits in this context with self-punishment instead of a behaviour to affect another person.

So yeah, that got wiped. But I learnt through all this that BPD is very treatable. In fact, it is one of THE most treatable mental illnesses in the world, if you engage in the correct therapy. And it has to be DBT. It likely will not work otherwise. And you have to really, 100% engage. You honestly don't really need meds, you need to hit therapy harder than you've hit anything in your life. BPD has an 80% remission rate with successful BPD - that is legitimately more successful than mild to moderate depression or anxiety, all without meds! And plenty of people have been found to age out of BPD as well when they reach their 40s and beyond.

So your future, as bleak as it may look, is actually quite bright when compared to some other situations. Like I have cPTSD (which has zero actual approved treatment and isn't even in the DSMV only the ICD10) and Bipolar and I recently applied for disability and like, I deliberately avoided being put in the same category of people who suffer from debilitating untreatable schizophrenia who live in secure units their whole lives while being bombed out of their mind on anti-psychotic medication and still hallucinating. Honestly when compared to that, even as shitty as my mental health is I got it pretty good.

I really implore you to dive into DBT if you haven't already and attack it like nothing else you've ever gone at. I did exposure therapy for cPTSD and it was the absolute shittest 6 months of my life - every session I'd had to have a 1-2 page handwritten account of some awful criminal shit my dad did to me, then I'd sit in front of my psychologist trying to open my mouth and physically read the words on the paper. And honestly sometimes I genuinely couldn't do it and I'd start panicking and rush out early. But eventually, I went from freaking out and getting defensive whenever someone mentioned my dad, to being able to disclose my entire trauma history to therapists and chosen friends who said yes without freaking out. And that was thanks to that 6 months of therapy.

It isn't easy, but it is so worth it.

I have it very severely (my psych doc said I score a 96% for it, which is the worst he has seen in 16 years). My meds don't seem to be working as well as they used to and I'm looking for something new to ask my doctor about?

Trazodone 300mg

I guess you could include Gabapentin (1800mg/day) which I take for neuropathic pain, but which is used for PTSD/anxiety and as a mood stabilizer sometimes.

*these are just the meds that relate to my BPD. I take several other meds for unrelated things (seizures, physical pain, etc)
My Mom has BPD, and so did my GF.... they were angry a lot... they did well on a variety of meds that just took the edge off a bit

Trazodone 300mg

Unfortunately for BPD, medications are usually not the only answer. It'd be really nice if there was a magic pill to help control it, but it's such a complex disorder. The meds you're on sound like they take care of a variety of the symptoms however HONESTLY the most effective treatment for BPD is therapy, specifically DBT. It has been trialled for many many years and it's the best therapy for BPD. I wish I had an easier answer for you but...life isn't easy, especially with BPD. DBT truly does work though (personal experience). You need to commit to it long-term.

Trazodone 300mg

Hey I was just wondering how many milligrams of gabapentin you take for anxiety? I have some I was prescribed after spinal surgery & have heard about their possible benefit in treating anxiety and would love to try it out. I also have BPD. It’s comforting to know some of you do too. I’m pretty alone in it. I don’t take meds or go to treatment. I’ve gotten good at numbing myself & compartmentalization..for the most part anyway.

Hey I was just wondering how many milligrams of gabapentin you take for anxiety? I have some I was prescribed after spinal surgery & have heard about their possible benefit in treating anxiety and would love to try it out. I also have BPD. It’s comforting to know some of you do too. I’m pretty alone in it. I don’t take meds or go to treatment. I’ve gotten good at numbing myself & compartmentalization..for the most part anyway.
He said 1800mg gabapentin daily but obviously you would want to go with a lower dose like 300mg 3x daily

Honestly gabapentin does nothing for me no matter what dose

Pregabalin is much much better in every way

unfortunately, they don't really have meds for personality disorders, but they have meds that can make some symptoms easier to deal with

sertraline can go to 200mg-300mg in practice, and Seroquel can reach 800mg, from a quick glance. might want to ask about those.

200mg is the max for Sertaline (although I've heard of psychs rxing like 300 before)
I WAS on 800mg Seroquel but it made my blood glucose levels so high that I had to be hospitalized for 5 weeks while they tried to figure out WTF was happening.

BPD is a weird diagnosis. I don't mean to pry and feel free not to answer, but if you have any trauma history I'd look into changing it to cPTSD. I was hit with a 'developing borderline personality organisation' in early 2018 and knowing how stigmatised the label is I marched right into my psychiatrists office and told her to remove it from my records immediately. She pointed out I met some of the criteria - impulsive drug use and self harm, some unstable relationships, emotional dysregulation, suicide attempts, dissociation.

I pointed out that I have friends who are diagnosed with BPD, and for some of them it cost us our friendship when they were undiagnosed and they had pervasive issues in their relationships. I don't - my mates have been my mates for years and shit doesn't change. We have normal ups and downs, but nothing major. The ONE unstable relationship is with my father (highly abusive).

I pointed out that my drug use and self harm are not impulsive, nor is the self-harm done to avoid abandonment. The drug use is deliberate and a response to a trigger and an attempt to avoid or self punish, and the self-harm is linked to shame and self punishment. I explicitly hide my self-harm and do not discuss it with friends unless I need to seek medical attention, and I do not do it in response to interpersonal issues.

The emotional dysregulation one I didn't argue with. Absolutely true, but could be other explanations.

Suicide attempts were through reckless behaviour, not fear of abandonment. I wanted to end the issue of my familial abuse.

I do dissociate, when triggered.

When I disclosed my trauma history to her, she was like 'ahhh, you don't have BPD, you have cPTSD' and I'm like 'what? I didn't want a new diagnosis I just wanted that one gone.' 'CPTSD, like PTSD but, you know, a bunch worse. So all the normal symptoms plus major interpersonal issues. Actually now I think about it this makes total sense. You've always had issues with self-blame, self-worth, shame, guilt, and trust. I'm surprised I got it wrong. The self-harm really threw me off but it even fits in this context with self-punishment instead of a behaviour to affect another person.

So yeah, that got wiped. But I learnt through all this that BPD is very treatable. In fact, it is one of THE most treatable mental illnesses in the world, if you engage in the correct therapy. And it has to be DBT. It likely will not work otherwise. And you have to really, 100% engage. You honestly don't really need meds, you need to hit therapy harder than you've hit anything in your life. BPD has an 80% remission rate with successful BPD - that is legitimately more successful than mild to moderate depression or anxiety, all without meds! And plenty of people have been found to age out of BPD as well when they reach their 40s and beyond.

So your future, as bleak as it may look, is actually quite bright when compared to some other situations. Like I have cPTSD (which has zero actual approved treatment and isn't even in the DSMV only the ICD10) and Bipolar and I recently applied for disability and like, I deliberately avoided being put in the same category of people who suffer from debilitating untreatable schizophrenia who live in secure units their whole lives while being bombed out of their mind on anti-psychotic medication and still hallucinating. Honestly when compared to that, even as shitty as my mental health is I got it pretty good.

I really implore you to dive into DBT if you haven't already and attack it like nothing else you've ever gone at. I did exposure therapy for cPTSD and it was the absolute shittest 6 months of my life - every session I'd had to have a 1-2 page handwritten account of some awful criminal shit my dad did to me, then I'd sit in front of my psychologist trying to open my mouth and physically read the words on the paper. And honestly sometimes I genuinely couldn't do it and I'd start panicking and rush out early. But eventually, I went from freaking out and getting defensive whenever someone mentioned my dad, to being able to disclose my entire trauma history to therapists and chosen friends who said yes without freaking out. And that was thanks to that 6 months of therapy.

It isn't easy, but it is so worth it.

I was diagnosed in 2009 but it's definitely the right diagnoses. When I read about it - which I did extremely extensively - it was like YES, that's 100% me. It was almost nice to get the diagnosis because I'd always known something was very wrong with me but nothing seemed to fit or explain it until I found out about BPD.

So what is the difference between PTSD and CPTSD?

I take the Gabapentin for neuropathic pain (I just mentioned it because it CAN be prescribed for PTSD or anxiety). I take 1800mg/day/

He said 1800mg gabapentin daily but obviously you would want to go with a lower dose like 300mg 3x daily

Honestly gabapentin does nothing for me no matter what dose

Pregabalin is much much better in every way

Not in every way. Pregabalin is MUCH more likely than Gabapentin to cause or worsen depression (it "washes" serotonin out of the brain in the same way alcohol does).

Whoops that's the one, it was from memory ahem
good job it's not continuous ptsd (as in being triggered 24/7)...would be unbearable by anyone

please everyone - don't forget - most mental health diagnosis (and learning difficulty ones) merely describe the presence of a certain group of symptoms. they can be really helpful and also seriously unhelpful

someone could easily present as schizoaffective one day...and then as bi-polar a few weeks later (and they do)

shit's complex, big love to all suffering