View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Best Benzo for Bad Trip

thatguythere

Greenlighter
I want to have my first LSD trip in a week or two, but I'm worried about the possibility of a bad trip. I've heard that benzos can help end it, but I haven't heard which one is best. In your opinion, which one (Xanax, Valium, or Ativan) is best for this? Also, could I use Ambien to put myself to sleep for the rest of the trip, or would I just end up blacking out and doing something really stupid? Thanks!

If youre going into it with even the smallest inclination that you might have a bad trip, i would not advise tripping. That being said, i understand wanting to have something around just in case, so i would advise either xanax or etizolam. They both fast acting and work very well for panic attacks.

Dont mix the benzo and ambien. Also tkaing ambien while on a trip might make the trip a little weirder honestly, im not sure as ive never done it myself, im just assuming here.

In my experience, albeit somewhat limited in regards to LSD, the best way to negate the likelihood of a bad trip is to consume a relaxing psychoactive compound prior to ingesting the acid.

My buddies and I used to get relatively drunk (about 6 -10 standard drinks consumed over a couple hours) then drop the acid. None of us ever had bad trips. There was even this one time when someone we didn't know took the same dose of the same batch of acid we were tripping on, except she HADN'T had anything to drink (or any calming agent for that matter). She did have a bad trip and to me that was pretty solid evidence to back my rudimentary theory.

So yeah, if you insist on tripping, calm yourself with something first.

Disclaimer: This is just what worked for me and my buddies. This is by no means a scientifically based opinion.

peace :)

In my experience, albeit somewhat limited in regards to LSD, the best way to negate the likelihood of a bad trip is to consume a relaxing psychoactive compound prior to ingesting the acid.

That sounds like a good idea. Could I try that with Xanax instead of alcohol?

That sounds like a good idea. Could I try that with Xanax instead of alcohol?

Well yeah, for sure. I don't see what the difference would be really. Except, and this isn't necessarily a big deal, Xanax works exclusively on the GABA neurotransmitter, whereas alcohol works on GABA, dopamine, norepinephrine, serotonin (I think) and a few others.

In other words, Xanax relaxes the brain via one neurotransmitter, while booze kinda smashes the brain with all sorts of weird and wonderful effects. Which effect in particular heightens the chances of a positive LSD experience I couldn't say.

But basically yes, Xanax should, theoretically at least, do the same thing booze did for me and my chums.

Take care!

Peace :)

When you want to trip, it helps to be around friends doing the same. Having a plan on what you guys want to do for entertainment. Tripping by yourself, especially for your first time probably wouldn't be so enjoyable. (Homeless ------ > Psychedelic Drugs)

i enjoy drinking lightly whilst tripping on LSD or 1p-LSD. it could be anything but beware the booze interacts in a strange way with acid. as though it almost synergizes with the intoxicating effects of psychedelics but antagonizes the 'magic' by dulling the senses if too much is consumed.

i'm talking a glass or 2 of gin IIRC KOed me on LSD at like the 7hr mark. providing i don't think it was a heavy dose in the first place but even a beer on shrooms KOed me at the 4hr mark.

xanax would just straight up kill the magical part of the trip i reckon. it'll definitely decrease the risk of panic attack but that shouldn't be a concern of yours when considering tripping.

maybe some small sips of a beer if you're feeling too 'on edge' cos IME, acid has a sharp sorta feeling since it can be quite stimulating.

otherwise a weaker benzo like valium dosed maybe a day or two before cos of its long half-life shouldn't interfere too much with the magic since the peak effects would be gone. but then again valium is active even in the 2mg range lol.

Out of all the benzos that you've listed, I'd just say avoid ativan. It's the least effective benzo that I've tried to date. Xanax or Valium would work best; either is fine, just whichever one you prefer really.

I wouldn't drink or do benzos before. Will just dull the trip.

Valium is the drug of choice for medics for people on bad trips, but really the differences between different benzos will be subtle in comparison to the fact that you will be tripping balls.

Dose might be a bigger issue. Enough to take anxiety away, or enough to knock you out for the duration? Be safe if the latter, find somewhere safe to crawl into for a while..

whatever you do, do not smoke pot if you are having a bad trip. It intensifies your trip.

Xanax worked for me to stop a bad trip before. Well, it wasn't really a bad trip, just a neverending one.

All benzos are good for bad trips. Antipsychotics are even better for them. And both an antipsychotic and a benzodiazepine best.

Antipsychotics are a terrible idea. If you are having a really unpleasant trip just take a benzo like Xanax. If you don't feel better after one xanax then take another. You might fall asleep eventually but atleast the trip will be over.

Temazepam will probably work. It kicks in very fast (20-30 minutes) and it also has some kind of interaction with the opioid system I believe.

Temazepam will work mainly cause it's really heavy and relaxes the shit out of you including physically. If it's mainly the panic / anxiety, just use a benzo with good anxiolytic potential like Ativan or Xanax.

Don't take a whole lot of the benzo, and definitely don't take the Ambien. I've blacked out on LSD and Xanax alone and had a really crazy 3 days.
For that reason I personally would avoid the benzos that have significant hypnotic (sleep aid) and amnestic (memory impairment >> blackout) action, even if like temazepam they have appeal being strong.

While I blacked out on LSD and xanax one time, and xanax does have amnestic action - I wouldn't recommend against that one. I took too much too fast, that is the main thing not to do with any benzo! In most cases you will just relax if you take one, then another... and blacking out is not always a huge acute chance... but what you aim for is to take the edge off enough to be relieved of terrible nervewrecking panic. That should be quelled relatively easily - don't take more of the benzo than you absolutely feel like you have to.

Also try to find other ways to deal with a really difficult trip than using a benzo. While sometimes being the lesser of two evils, usually a benzo is not great either in a bad trip. Because it just kind of pauses everything nothing is solved. It's like bailing in the middle of a difficult therapy session with your psychiatrist. Sometimes you are better off facing your demons (unless you are quite unstable in which case you have no business tripping in the first place).
At other times the torment doesn't seem to have any point or content and is more like overstimulation. That is NOT like difficult therapy, that's just agony.

Xanax is the epi-pen of benzos. It's fast acting and is designed for anxiety attacks. Sooo ID go with Xanax. Put yourself in an environment that's dark and relaxing or you may go on a blackout fanatical rampage.

Temazepam will work mainly cause it's really heavy and relaxes the shit out of you including physically. If it's mainly the panic / anxiety, just use a benzo with good anxiolytic potential like Ativan or Xanax.

Don't take a whole lot of the benzo, and definitely don't take the Ambien. I've blacked out on LSD and Xanax alone and had a really crazy 3 days.
For that reason I personally would avoid the benzos that have significant hypnotic (sleep aid) and amnestic (memory impairment >> blackout) action, even if like temazepam they have appeal being strong.

While I blacked out on LSD and xanax one time, and xanax does have amnestic action - I wouldn't recommend against that one. I took too much too fast, that is the main thing not to do with any benzo! In most cases you will just relax if you take one, then another... and blacking out is not always a huge acute chance... but what you aim for is to take the edge off enough to be relieved of terrible nervewrecking panic. That should be quelled relatively easily - don't take more of the benzo than you absolutely feel like you have to.

Also try to find other ways to deal with a really difficult trip than using a benzo. While sometimes being the lesser of two evils, usually a benzo is not great either in a bad trip. Because it just kind of pauses everything nothing is solved. It's like bailing in the middle of a difficult therapy session with your psychiatrist. Sometimes you are better off facing your demons (unless you are quite unstable in which case you have no business tripping in the first place).
At other times the torment doesn't seem to have any point or content and is more like overstimulation. That is NOT like difficult therapy, that's just agony.

Oh, my idea of a bad trip is just physical discomfort/feeling bad. I've never had a mental breakdown on anything. Maybe it's my complete comfort with death, or my worldview. But I've pushed the limits with all psychedelics and never had a mental break. But I always keep Xanax around in case u need it to stop, be it if people u don't want to come around or u just need to go to sleep.

Ah - I don't think that's the average take on a bad trip, since feeling physical discomfort is not really about the "trip" even if it's a side-effect of the trip experience. But yeah semantics...

For feeling strained and cracked out and tired/wired I would personally recommend nitrazepam, it's very muscle-relaxy. Of the common ones diazepam is good and easing, midazolam is heavy but also hypnotic/physical so good to end a trip with sleep that would otherwise go on pointlessly.

DOX or mescaline have me wired in the tail end of the trip - then a benzo is expected to help as part of the long duration and stimulation...

Yes xanax is short acting and fit for panic attack type reactions - to calm down. ativan is also good for that probably? I have tried it but not to a specific end.

IMO, and from my own experiences. It would be best to have a fast acting sedative such as the z-class drug Zolpidem. But generally if you're not concerned with having to wait 20 or so minutes, clonazepam, or alprazolam. I have also used lorazepam on several occasions.

I used to like a few drinks before tripping as said it can be nice and relaxing but too much and the trip looses the sparkly side although I had a mate who used to neck pints like they were going out of fashion when tripping.

For me Temazepam or Nitrazepam would be the go to, (although don't get them any more), as I always found them faster acting.

Drug set and setting - the holy trinity of tripping, in fact all drug use.

1 Make sure you are sorted on your drug - test it and no crazy doses, (helps to dispel any negative thinking of 'I've been poisoned/took wrong drug' when you experience strange sensations/thoughts).
2 Make sure you are in a good place mentally - psychedelics can amply mood, (if you are going in worried you are more likely to have difficulty ime).
3 Taking it where you are safe and wont be intruded upon by real world issues. Psychedelics aren't the party drug many seem to think they are. Prepare well headphones, music, movies, games, etc you don't want to be fiddling with bluetooth connections or trying to navigate netflix when you should bed enjoying the trip. Too often you see posts here along the lines of 'I want to trip but have to be with parents/disproving others should I?' if you are not very comfortable you increase the risk of problems.

Take care of the issues and a bad trip is much less likely. Happy travels.

opiates will make a bad trip bearable imediately at low doses

they remove the panic instantly