Mental Health Benzos: How bad are they long term?

Benzos cop a lot of shit these days and yes they need to be used with caution and properly. However they are also a god send for people like myself, my father and my grandfather. SSRI/SNRI's caused more problems for me in 12 months then benzos have in 15years.
Yes indeed. Benzos have been demonized too much going from overly positive and reckless view of the 70's or 80's to far too negative view of the recent years when the practical truth is somewhere between.

I have also used benzos since I was 19y old on/off.. They have been precise medicine for me with opioids. Beside benzos I have used a lot of gaba-b drugs like phenibut and baclofen many years with high doses (baclofen 200mg/day, phenibut 10g/day) same time with benzos. And it was prescribed by doctor. With those gabaergics I had also pregabalin 600-1200mg/day many years with tramadol or some other opioid. I would say I was functionally, both mentally and physically in best shape I've ever been when I used alprazolam, clonazepam, phenibut/baclofen, pregabalin and tramadol together and did not notice any cognitive problems from them but on the opposite, really. They really seemed to made my cognition function better.

I have been tested in extensive psychological studies three (3) times over the years so I have some objective proof that at least in my case benzos have not caused any objective deterioration on cognitive functions. In fact, one psychologist told me I had best scores in memory test she had seen in his entire 30 year career at that facility. So no memory problems or cognitive problems whatsoever despite high doses of gabaergics and chronic DXM use of couple of years. I can also subjectively say that I've not ever noticed any problems on memory or cognition from benzos or other sedatives (I am speaking now about chronic use with stable dose not instances where overdose is taken, of course those temporary caused memory loss etc).

Only three times I've truly noted (or felt) cognitive impairment subjectively and taught I've had some brain damage but none of those relate to benzos. And first one of those was allready at 2006 when I had punch in my head. Second was when I used extensively nitrous oxide few months straight on daily basis at 2008 (allthough I took b-12 vitamin back then but felt something was not right). Third time was after about two years of chronic DXM use. But I have to say, that two of those cognitive tests were done after those incidents so not really any objective decline from any of those but only subjective thoughts and feelings of deterioration. So even my subjective feelings of cognitive impairments are related to other incidents or things than benzos or sedatives.

On top of those psychological studies I've had MRI brain scan showing no abnormalties (and that was taken in recent years). But I have to say I've allways (or since I was 18y or something) used different antioxidants, vitamins and herbals and good nutrition. So my lifestyle has allways been quite proactive towards health.

So I might speculate that in certain sub population where glutamatergic/gabaergic tone might be chronically disturbed benzos' net effect could be more neuroprotective than degenerative. I was without benzos many years but now I am prescribed them again. I really need them atm..

Last edited:
Yes indeed. Benzos have been demonized too much going from overly positive and reckless view of the 70's or 80's to far too negative view of the recent years when the practical truth is somewhere between.

I have also used benzos since I was 19y old on/off.. They have been precise medicine for me with opioids. Beside benzos I have used a lot of gaba-b drugs like phenibut and baclofen many years with high doses (baclofen 200mg/day, phenibut 10g/day) same time with benzos. And it was prescribed by doctor. With those gabaergics I had also pregabalin 600-1200mg/day many years with tramadol or some other opioid. I would say I was functionally, both mentally and physically in best shape I've ever been when I used alprazolam, clonazepam, phenibut/baclofen, pregabalin and tramadol together and did not notice any cognitive problems from them but on the opposite, really. They really seemed to made my cognition function better.

I have been tested in extensive psychological studies three (3) times over the years so I have some objective proof that at least in my case benzos have not caused any objective deterioration on cognitive functions. In fact, one psychologist told me I had best scores in memory test she had seen in his entire 30 year career at that facility. So no memory problems or cognitive problems whatsoever despite high doses of gabaergics and chronic DXM use of couple of years. I can also subjectively say that I've not ever noticed any problems on memory or cognition from benzos or other sedatives (I am speaking now about chronic use with stable dose not instances where overdose is taken, of course those temporary caused memory loss etc).

Only three times I've truly noted (or felt) cognitive impairment subjectively and taught I've had some brain damage but none of those relate to benzos. And first one of those was allready at 2006 when I had punch in my head. Second was when I used extensively nitrous oxide few months straight on daily basis at 2008 (allthough I took b-12 vitamin back then but felt something was not right). Third time was after about two years of chronic DXM use. But I have to say, that two of those cognitive tests were done after those incidents so not really any objective decline from any of those but only subjective thoughts and feelings of deterioration. So even my subjective feelings of cognitive impairments are related to other incidents or things than benzos or sedatives.

On top of those psychological studies I've had MRI brain scan showing no abnormalties (and that was taken in recent years). But I have to say I've allways (or since I was 18y or something) used different antioxidants, vitamins and herbals and good nutrition. So my lifestyle has allways been quite proactive towards health.

So I might speculate that in certain sub population where glutamatergic/gabaergic tone might be chronically disturbed benzos' net effect could be more neuroprotective than degenerative. I was without benzos many years but now I am prescribed them again. I really need them atm..
I agree with slot of whst u say, bro. I take 200mg tramadol daily and 2-4mg clonazepam and my memory and cognitive function Is 👌. I've always had a good memory and still feels like drugs haven't impaired it that much. When I smoke weed regularly tho, I stsrt to hsve cog problems xd.

I agree with slot of whst u say, bro. I take 200mg tramadol daily and 2-4mg clonazepam and my memory and cognitive function Is 👌. I've always had a good memory and still feels like drugs haven't impaired it that much. When I smoke weed regularly tho, I stsrt to hsve cog problems xd.
I count four different times you've posted this word for word

I can't say ive had a problem except for when i was in the psych ward and cut off 6mg's a day cold turkey But other then that bullshit i havent had a problem. I do worry about the dementia risk though especially since i take zopiclone to and have a family history of dementia