• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Benzo withdrawal

dmtmixalis

Bluelighter
I've been taking benzos to combat anxiety/insomnia for ~ 5 years. It started with etizolam, which was soon replaced by diazepam once the former was made illegal. I started a long, drawn out taper at the beginning of lockdown (my daily dose was 15-20mg) taper and jumped from ~ 3mg 6 days ago.

I'm well aware of how long diazepam takes to leave your system, however considering the severity of the interdose withdrawals I was getting I expected my current situation to be lot bleaker. So far so good.

Anyway, on to my question.

Has anyone been successful in migrating from a daily addiction to using sporadically? I don't mean in terms of becoming a habitual user again, more in the sense is it possible without potentially effecting PAWS?

It is a fantastic medicine when not abused/used daily for prolonged periods of time, and I'm occasionally prescribed zopiclone which has an almost identical mechanism of action.

Any help would be appreciated!

I've been taking benzos to combat anxiety/insomnia for ~ 5 years. It started with etizolam, which was soon replaced by diazepam once the former was made illegal. I started a long, drawn out taper at the beginning of lockdown (my daily dose was 15-20mg) taper and jumped from ~ 3mg 6 days ago.

I'm well aware of how long diazepam takes to leave your system, however considering the severity of the interdose withdrawals I was getting I expected my current situation to be lot bleaker. So far so good.

Anyway, on to my question.

Has anyone been successful in migrating from a daily addiction to using sporadically? I don't mean in terms of becoming a habitual user again, more in the sense is it possible without potentially effecting PAWS?

It is a fantastic medicine when not abused/used daily for prolonged periods of time, and I'm occasionally prescribed zopiclone which has an almost identical mechanism of action.

Any help would be appreciated!

I have not been successful. Essentially I’m kindled to the point where 2 week’s of dosing benzos would induce fairly severe withdrawal symptoms.

I managed to stop myself a few times after a week of dosing Xanax four or five times before getting myself sucked right back into addiction.

I have, however been able to not escalate my dose in 3 years (started at 2mg Xanax and has remained at 2 mg kpin [illict]).

For me, the withdrawals off of benzos lasted ~3 months but weren’t especially bad. In fact, I only notice the withdrawal in retrospect (e.g. every time I was on the subway I’d get hella anxious) not until the symptoms disappear did I realize where they were from.

I haven't been sucessful. Coming clean of a heavy benzo addiction in 2016, I did try sporadic use again in 2019, and it brought back so many negative symptoms the day after that I quit while I was ahead. Profusely sweating, extreme anxiety, tremors, that whole deal just from taking 2mg of clonazepam here or there. It wasn't like that before abused the hell out of it, but these days I don't tolerate any benzos at all anymore. Maybe I'm hypersensitive and already primed for PAWS, even a tiny, sporadic dose is like a can of gasoline on a smouldering ember.

Like, it's not full withdrawals of course, but just an extremely unpleasant feeling that I had months after quitting benzos still. Not worth it, but everyone's different.

I have not been successful. Essentially I’m kindled to the point where 2 week’s of dosing benzos would induce fairly severe withdrawal symptoms

Yep same here, 10 days of use and I get withdrawals and now been benzos 3 weeks or so ooops

Yep same here, 10 days of use and I get withdrawals and now been benzos 3 weeks or so ooops

Depending on your dose, it may be worthwhile to try and stop. If it’s a low/moderate dose, however, for me, the withdrawal is nearly identical after one month and one year.

I’d recommend at least lowering your dose if you’ve been using at the higher end of the spectrum.

1. Gabapentin is not effective for high dose benzo withdrawal (unless you taper to a low dose and hold for a few months).
2. Especially when your body is kindled side effects are the only thing you’ll get out of increasing your dose (eye twitching, excessively dangerous/aggressive driving, delusions of complete sobriety, and paradoxical anxiety in my case).

the withdrawal is nearly identical after one month and one year.

And me, I feel worse because I can't remember how bad the withdrawal was the last time and its just worse everytime because of the kindling effect, which till last year I had no idea what it even was, I can't stop, the clonazepam are like taking 40mg vallies, I split them up though into halfs and quarters

paradoxical anxiety in my case

Whaaatttt I'm getting that, I used to take vallies, and sometimes xavax, always wanted to try nitrazepam and clonazepam and did, don't like nitrazapam I couldn't even type on my phone properly the next day, but with clonazepam I still had like an axnxous edge to it, I don't know, I'll try and wean off but I really can't be fucking arsed right now as I'm so ill and anxious when I wake up

And I can't believe clonazepam shows up in the system as long as valium 3/4 eeeks I thought it was upto 5 day's like xanax

just came off valium. 3 mos of hell. i don't think i will ever do a benzo again. for real. that was a nightmare. awful PAWS. was still getting electric zaps up til a week ago. :pP

I’ve strugggled with Benzo addiction on and off for 15 years. IMO they have caused irreparable damage due the extent of my abuse at times. I’ve detoxed from practically every drug, but benzos were by far the worse. Be sure to take your time with your taper. It’s absolutely imperative if you want to do this as safely and as gently as you possible.

Sounds like your doing an okay job, but IME withdrawals after Valium tapers don’t really begin until 1-2 weeks after the last dose, in fact I had a seizure 2 weeks after (granted I was on a higher dose). maybe have a 2.5 mg dose around to take when your a week out.

I would be very weary of attempting to use benzos responsibly after a taper. I abstained from them 3-4 years and utilized cognitive behavioral therapy as well as exposure therapy. My incapacitating anxiety eventually prevented me from leaving my room and It left me utterly incapable of maintaining relationships, but after learning to deal with my anxiety bit by bit I’m in a much better place.

Ill always recommend utilizing healthier methods to combat anxiety as Benzos tend to exacerbate the issue even more. Having said that, I have used benzos a few times over this past year to deal with some emotionally difficult transitions and managed My intake responsibly, but I’m still very conflicted about it and haven’t used since.

Try to give it some time and work on your anxiety issues through other methods before considering that option. Also, be sure to order the smallest quantities available In order to limit yourself. I’m hoping you can get to a place where you can deal without it. The feeling of naturally combatting and controlling your anxiety is much more empowering and satisfying than relying on them.

Last edited:
headspace anxiety course has been a lifesaver.

Thanks for the insight everyone.

I'm on day 14 and I'm astonished at how little I'm suffering. Other than minor muscle spasms I'm showing no symptoms of withdrawal and the literature seems to cite the acute phase ending after 2 weeks.

Perhaps I'm just one of the lucky ones? I even indulged in numerous lagers yesterday and I feel better without the morning benzo to 'set me straight'.

I'm aware I'm still not out out of woods and I'm conflicted as to whether it's sensible to take benzos in the future. Especially if I've gotten off this lightly..

I ma very glad to hear that. I really hope you have a smooth sailing out of benzo watters! ...it is something I will have to go through and am a bit scared. Always good to hear a story that doesn't deserve its place in the horror department. Keep it up! :)

Like I say, it's entirely plausible that I will suffer in the not so distant future, but I don't see many reports which are as 'plain sailing' as mine.

Do you dose every day Psycho_logic? If so, what dosage? I'd assume my protracted taper helped with the easing of symptoms so I'd definitely recommend going as slow as possible!

Yep, unfortunately I am on one or the other, in the past sometimes 2 (like clonazepam during the day and midazolam for sleep) , for more than 15 years. But mostly it has been diazepam only. Average dose was about 20-30mg diazepam daily. I tried slow taper 6 years ago but it obviously it wasn't slow enough cause when I got to 5mg it became so unbearable (light seizure activity, heavy visual distortions bordering on hallucinations, anxiety and depression out of every proportion, terror, twitching, jerking, electricity running throug my body with super sonic explosions in my head, insomnia...all the joys of benzo withdrawal) that I had to go back to my regular dose, or I would lose my employment, which I could not afford.

Now I am trying to taper veery slowly and am stable at 25mg diazepam with thinking of going 10% down on next monday or so. I will not push it this time. If it takes 2 years so be it. But who knows, I am more stable overall now so I have my fingers crossed.

Some people do have much easier time than others, as in everything else, so this isn't meant to scare you. You have done great by tapering low and I believe that if it gets worse that it wont be unbearable. Don't read horror stories, work out, keep busy, find a time for the things you like - and don't go back if it isn't absolutely necessary.

I am routing for you! :)

I don't have access to the like button or I'd like every post in here.

Watching and cheering for you too!

... I wouldn't spin the wheel again on this. 🙃
But no matter what, wishing you well. 🙂

Omg, just those two words together make me cringe...”Benzo” and “withdrawal”. Two years ago I went to treatment for heroin and Xanax which was pure hell in detox. I would never wish that on my worst enemy. I have not touched an opiate since, but I have taken a few Xanax here and there. I will never allow myself to become dependent on it again, (well, never say never, but I sure as hell will try not to) but that’s because I can’t find them regularly. I have a script for them but I always sell almost all of them as soon as I get it filled so they’re not right in front of my face. Everyone is different so it’s kind of hard to answer your question...

I'm un the same situation. I've got 7 pulls left and I was taking 3-4 a day, and now I won't have any before a week, I can get zopiclone but I am not sure it'll help..

I'm glad to hear you're currently stable @Psycho_Logic. The litany of symptoms, not so much. As you cite, I would take as much time as you need - it took me years (and an awful amount of discipline) to get to where I am. 10% reductions sounds plausible!

@Gaffy Were you using long acting benzos? I procured some zopiclone from my GP for travelling (didn't fancy taking the risk of being caught with illegal benzos in Egypt - that would be another problem entirely). Covid ruined that - I'm now conflicted whether these would set me back (due to being shorter acting) however currently I have no intention of dosing any time soon. I figure after a few months of not indulging it shouldn't make much difference but those do sound like famous last words.

I'm on day 18 and I still feel great. My mornings aren't flooded with anxiety anymore, and I'm feeling (dare I say it?) pretty much back to normal. I've got crazy tinnitus but that was present prior to jumping and may be unrelated. I still have minor spasms but nothing you would notice if you weren't aware you were in withdrawal.

Here's to 18 more! Currently have no ambition to dose however I'm still flirting with the idea of using them as needed in the future.

Happy Wednesday to all!

I will never allow myself to become dependent on it again, (well, never say never, but I sure as hell will try not to) but that’s because I can’t find them regularly. I have a script for them but I always sell almost all of them as soon as I get it filled so they’re not right in front of my face. Everyone is different so it’s kind of hard to answer your question.

Preach! I had 2000 etizolam at one point and I was afraid to give them away as I knew at one point I would need them. Addiction, especially those linked with mental health issues, is a dark, lonely place and I'm confused as to how I let it get so out of hand!