• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

benzo withdrawal and vision problems

bob123

Bluelighter
A few weeks ago while experiencing a severe migraine i decided to taper from xanax 1mg 3 times a day. In the end stages I got a strand blurry ness in the corner of my left eye and saw an eye doctor who ran a bunch of tests and found nothing (I did not tell him about the withdrawal) it has not gone away and now for the last few days it has been in my right eye too and taking a xanax seems to help it fade. What is this due to? HELP

I don't know how to cure this, but I know I get the same from benzo withdrawal.

My vision is blurred on the edges and I also see people on corners, etc..., actually exactly like on a high dose of anticholinergic (Diphenhydramine...)
Everything also seems darker.

I also hear voices; get a feeling all over my body like it was covered with water, etc....

But all that is not the hard part of the withdrawal.....

jasoncrest said:
My vision is blurred on the edges and I also see people on corners, etc..., actually exactly like on a high dose of anticholinergic (Diphenhydramine...)

blurred on the edges? no shit, srsly? cuz i already have vision problems - did i ever mention it you i got a stroke years ago and my left hemispheres of my both eyes are BLIND, cant sure if i did tell you or not. the blind hemispheres are not black, NO color at all very wierd shit but i get used to it. i'm gonna quit doing benzos, i already quit actually cant remember my last dose (i was on 12 mg klonopin). i wonder you think while i'm WDing my vision will get darker or complete vision loss or just worsen a little bit?

actually exactly like on a high dose of anticholinergic (Diphenhydramine...)

I susepct that glutamine-hyperactivity causes such things; an increase in the bodys metabolism of acetlycholine leading to a sensation of 'anticholigernia'- new word there. Just a theory. Acetlycholine and friends could actually be related back to a lot of the muscular, physical and mental effects of withdrawl. My 'favorite' is the horrible racing euphoria that usually climaxes with a panic attack, repleat with distorting faces, phosphenes, frozen facial muscles- subseizure activity basically.

I have tried increasing the levels of choline I intake, but usually to do that one uses a nootropic which would increase glutaminergic activity in a bad way. I find gingko biloba even gives me anxiety, or w/d.

willow11 said:
I susepct that glutamine-hyperactivity causes such things; an increase in the bodys metabolism of acetlycholine leading to a sensation of 'anticholigernia'- new word there. Just a theory. Acetlycholine and friends could actually be related back to a lot of the muscular, physical and mental effects of withdrawl. My 'favorite' is the horrible racing euphoria that usually climaxes with a panic attack, repleat with distorting faces, phosphenes, frozen facial muscles- subseizure activity basically.

I have tried increasing the levels of choline I intake, but usually to do that one uses a nootropic which would increase glutaminergic activity in a bad way. I find gingko biloba even gives me anxiety, or w/d.

Interesting theory....

Is it possible to reverse anticholinergic effects (supplementing with Choline derivatives/pro-drugs?) without increasing glutaminergic activity?

jasoncrest said:
I don't know how to cure this, but I know I get the same from benzo withdrawal.

I also hear voices; get a feeling all over my body like it was covered with water, etc....

But all that is not the hard part of the withdrawal.....

Is the vision part permanent? Also I have grainy vision which I had when I was a kid and then came back when I first smoked weed could this be related?

bob123 said:
Is the vision part permanent?

No it's not, but it lasts months (maybe more, I don't know: I've never been in benzo withdrawal for more than ~4-5 months... I always started again after a few months of abstinence)
(and I'm talking about withdrawal from huge habits of long lasting benzos such as Diazepam and Clorazepate; the worse (insomnia) is over in 3 weeks; but some symptoms last months, especially this alteration of the vision and the feeling of electricity or water running all over the body; and the anxiety of course...)

jasoncrest said:
Interesting theory....

Is it possible to reverse anticholinergic effects (supplementing with Choline derivatives/pro-drugs?) without increasing glutaminergic activity?

I believe nicotine and betel could do that, also amanita muscaria. At least, nicotine is cholinergic- I know a lot of people chain smoke when w/ding....Amanita was traditionally used as a 'folk medicine' to treat dautra poisoning, becuase muscarine simulates acetlycholine peripherally. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muscarine.

Then again, if vision is being blurred, and I don't know if thats a neurolgical or physical thing, you would think a process resembling 'anticholinergic' states would induce dilation of the pupils, and thus some of the phospene and 'hallucinatory' aspects. The again! when I'm w'ding my pupils DO dilate. 8o

I know if I have panic attacks I get tunnel vision, which I'd assume the OP is experiencing or something similar. Its probably an ancient fear reaction to ensure one is focused directly on what is front of it- or its a result of oxygen deprivation and hyperventialtion. Both of those can cause vision disturbances for me.

dont joke about bz w/d's bob.

actually, its funny as fuck. i came across this journal article that stated benzo w/d patients could tolerate the physical pain, pre-and as a result of benzo's, but couldnt tolerate the depersonalization/other mental effects.

Blurred vision in the corner of my left eye

I have blurred vision in the corner of my left eye. Is it permanent? How long does blurred vision, in the corner of eye, from withdrawal, last?