• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Misc Benzo vs Nicotine withdrawal?

drfeelgood1

Bluelighter
As I am currently tapering off from my Xanax usage, this just popped up into my mind just literally right now.

As far as I know, Nicotine is the most addictive substance known to mankind and more so than benzos or alcohol or even opioids.

So how come when smokers quit cold turkey then don’t die from the nicotine withdrawal as apposed to benzos or alcohol. I know that even alcohol can cause death when quitting cold turkey. But not smoking.

Nicotine interacts with entirely different receptor systems. Alcohol and benzos are both GABA agonists (correct me if im wrong on the agonist part) which if used frequently and stopped immediately can cause delirium tremens.

I stole this from wikipedia "
Delirium tremens is a component of alcohol withdrawal hypothesized to be the result of compensatory changes in response to chronic heavy alcohol use. Alcohol positively allosterically modulates the binding of GABA, enhancing its effect and resulting in inhibition of neurons projecting into the nucleus accumbens, as well as inhibiting NMDA receptors. This combined with desensitization of alpha-2 adrenergic receptors, results in a homeostatic upregulation of these systems in chronic alcohol use.[16]"

When alcohol use ceases, the unregulated mechanisms result in hyperexcitability of neurons as natural GABAergic systems are down-regulated and excitatory glutamatergic systems are upregulated. This combined with increased noradrenergic activity results in the symptoms of delirium tremens.[

I believe nicotine to be less of a "physical dependence" I am no expert on nicotine but I think when you smoke it; it is currently in freebase form, resulting in very short effects that leave you and is more mentally "more-ish" than physically addictive. Anyone feel free to correct me here.

alcohol as didgital said acts on your gaba receptors and the withdrawal is very physical; seizures and death. That is the hallmark of gaba w/d...

ps. glad to se that big ass brain wasn't affected by your ride man.

Benzo wd is all physical where as nicotine wd is mostly mental. Ive been through both and you cant really compare the 2

I've put myself through cold turkey nicotine withdrawals a few times. It's really not that bad as long as I didn't have to be around other people. Being alone helped with the irritability. It sucks, that's for sure, but it's really 95% mental.

Severe benzo withdrawal is much, much worse.

But yeah, they're so different I wouldn't even compare them

I would probably rather go through nicotine withdrawals 5 times than go through benzo withdrawals again.

Benzo wd is all physical
its mental too

double whammy

I've put myself through cold turkey nicotine withdrawals a few times. It's really not that bad as long as I didn't have to be around other people. Being alone helped with the irritability. It sucks, that's for sure, but it's really 95% mental.

Severe benzo withdrawal is much, much worse.

But yeah, they're so different I wouldn't even compare them

I would probably rather go through nicotine withdrawals 5 times than go through benzo withdrawals again.

its mental too

double whammy

Nicotine wd is comparable to the cravings you get coming off coke imo

I never had problems quitting nicotines. But then I never got much pleasure from it. It was more a barrier for me when I was around people who smoked, so their smoking wouldn't bother me. Haven't smoked a cigarette or felt like doing so in about four years (time I haven't been around jeavu smokers)

This is reassuring, life has been particularly stressful lately and I have been at about 5 a day for maybe two months. OH YES im addicted, hell I watched ppl go into the hospital in withdrawal; they get out Im already to do what they choose and they ask for a ciggy before even starting to tell the story of how sick they are. That kinda scard me lol.

Tips and tricks, avoid ppl. Undoable I live with the person that has been bumming me smokes and I already owe them, idk, 5 x 60 cigarettes I'll say to hedge my bets. 5 is an all time high, er maybe 7 idk. You get the range im in. Don't worry person will be paid back or just tax me in much worse way lol.

Benzos are the worst. But. I have quitted smoking (cigarettes) many times, no big deal, few days and youll be fine. But nowadays I use these nicotine pouches, one of them contains 15mg of nicotine. I use those about 5-9 pouches a day. And few times I had no nicotine left by morning before going to Shop in few hours. And oh my, i felt really dizzy, i got nausea, mydriasis, cold sweat, air hunger, felt like I was drunk some how. And it all subsided when I got my nicotine and stabilized. That is weird! And I have heard similar experienses from other heavy nicotine users (60 to 300mg a day). Not withdrawals but confusion and dizziness. Dilated pupils and heavy sweatting. I really need to lower my tolerance.. And my friends too.
Have anyone any idea why this high tolerance and being without nicotine for a while does such dramatic effects?

Benzos are the worst. But. I have quitted smoking (cigarettes) many times, no big deal, few days and youll be fine. But nowadays I use these nicotine pouches, one of them contains 15mg of nicotine. I use those about 5-9 pouches a day. And few times I had no nicotine left by morning before going to Shop in few hours. And oh my, i felt really dizzy, i got nausea, mydriasis, cold sweat, air hunger, felt like I was drunk some how. And it all subsided when I got my nicotine and stabilized. That is weird! And I have heard similar experienses from other heavy nicotine users (60 to 300mg a day). Not withdrawals but confusion and dizziness. Dilated pupils and heavy sweatting. I really need to lower my tolerance.. And my friends too.
Have anyone any idea why this high tolerance and being without nicotine for a while does such dramatic effects?
soooo, i reported my dose to a nurse once who was like !!!!!!! (im at 200-300mg a day), and i was talkin about coming off of it and the weird symptoms i was getting. she was like "oh yeah, it's known that there are issues coming off super high dose nicotine, it becomes something like a heart hormone, expect wild BP issues, possible danger. you have to taper that down"

soooo, i reported my dose to a nurse once who was like !!!!!!! (im at 200-300mg a day), and i was talkin about coming off of it and the weird symptoms i was getting. she was like "oh yeah, it's known that there are issues coming off super high dose nicotine, it becomes something like a heart hormone, expect wild BP issues, possible danger. you have to taper that down"
Wtf? Really? Do you have any More info?

As I am currently tapering off from my Xanax usage, this just popped up into my mind just literally right now.

As far as I know, Nicotine is the most addictive substance known to mankind and more so than benzos or alcohol or even opioids.

So how come when smokers quit cold turkey then don’t die from the nicotine withdrawal as apposed to benzos or alcohol. I know that even alcohol can cause death when quitting cold turkey. But not smoking.
There is another ironic twist. When I was a drunk and had withdrawals( I think I nearly died a few times) I hated alcohol and regretted ever having drank.
With nicotine, that's all I can think about, but no physical pain, just constant cravings.
I think because nicotine is a weak stimulant, that's why no physical misery.

Nicotine interacts with entirely different receptor systems. Alcohol and benzos are both GABA agonists (correct me if im wrong on the agonist part) which if used frequently and stopped immediately can cause delirium tremens.

I stole this from wikipedia "
Delirium tremens is a component of alcohol withdrawal hypothesized to be the result of compensatory changes in response to chronic heavy alcohol use. Alcohol positively allosterically modulates the binding of GABA, enhancing its effect and resulting in inhibition of neurons projecting into the nucleus accumbens, as well as inhibiting NMDA receptors. This combined with desensitization of alpha-2 adrenergic receptors, results in a homeostatic upregulation of these systems in chronic alcohol use.[16]"

When alcohol use ceases, the unregulated mechanisms result in hyperexcitability of neurons as natural GABAergic systems are down-regulated and excitatory glutamatergic systems are upregulated. This combined with increased noradrenergic activity results in the symptoms of delirium tremens.[
What is weird is that it occur's 48/ 72 hour's after cessation.

They diagnosed me DT although my seizure occured within 10 hour's after my last drink. Which makes DT very impropable, or can DT occur earlier then the 48 minimum timespan.
If not it made me realize the cause was most probably stress and sleep depreviation. And the Alcohol merely a catalyzer.

After that I got an post-Ictal Psychosis which they labeled as a delier. Which 1 in 3 patient's get when they arrive at SEH, which is the emergency unit of the hospital. Traumatizing experience, they waited with the medication till a Psychiatrist arrived which must have been more then a hour. For some Benzo's and Haldol. MF's caused a lot of unnessesary suffering and damage. Glad I was blacked out/ no memorie of the event except sniplet's.

I had the DT's so many times over 20 of heavy drinking and constantly stopping.
I just hated it when my left side of my body would go numb and I couldn't even hold down water. That scared me more. Haldol? Besides benzos(Ativan) and IV Dilaudid, great for about 2 1/2 hours. Or Morphine, not as good but lasted longer. I don't care how bad of shape I was in, when I went to the Hospital in my area that gave me IV Dilauded, I always wanted to escape the hospital and find a bar.

Last edited:
I had the DT's so many times over 20 of heavy drinking and constantly stopping.
I just hated it when my left side of my body would go numb and I couldn't even hold down water. That scared me more. Haldol? Besides benzos(Ativan) and IV Dilaudid, great for about 2 1/2 hours. Or Morphine, not as good but lasted longer. I don't care how bad of shape I was in, when I went to the Hospital in my area that gave me IV Dilauded, I always wanted to escape the hospital and find a bar.

Awe, that's so sad. You're one of the most good natured alki's ever. (respectfully) lulz

That's one of those times to need and take benzodiazepines. Much healthier for you than alcohol.

I mean that is what you have to do if you need to.

You went through quite an ordeal. I can't believe you drank so much. I tried it, but I am

blessed with being a weedaholic I think. I am glad I learned early in life to stay away.

Ttys hopefully. My Michigander bud. I am so sorry that alcohol hurt you.

Wow you must be strong.

I am glad we have those benzo's though for when they are truly needed. For me it

was always and will be Xanax. Hang in there. You sound very sober minded and blessed

with being very strong now. You seem to have a lot of energy and for that I envy you.

I love it. Gimmie. ;)<3

Anyone with personal experience regarding addiction knows that this comparison is pretty much nonsense. You are comparing apples to oranges here. Nicotine is a habit, not a true addiction if you ask me. An addiction is something that consumes your life and controls your body and mind. This whole "nicotine is the most addictive substance in the world" thing has always irked me. Comparing an addiction to something like Heroin to Nicotine is ridiculous. If someone told you you were gonna lose your kids if you smoked another cigarette, you'd never smoke another cigarette. You would never prostitute yourself to pay for cigarettes.

Anyone with personal experience regarding addiction knows that this comparison is pretty much nonsense. You are comparing apples to oranges here. Nicotine is a habit, not a true addiction if you ask me. An addiction is something that consumes your life and controls your body and mind. This whole "nicotine is the most addictive substance in the world" thing has always irked me. Comparing an addiction to something like Heroin to Nicotine is ridiculous. If someone told you you were gonna lose your kids if you smoked another cigarette, you'd never smoke another cigarette. You would never prostitute yourself to pay for cigarettes.
lol...100% agree

They diagnosed me DT although my seizure occured within 10 hour's after my last drink.
just curious were you using benzos or other gabapentanoid type substances at the same time? IME if you drink alcohol and take benzos, they amplify the GABA WD when taken together, and kind of only offset the GABA induced WD when taken separately.

I think benzos are less are hard on the body than alcohol, but way more physically addicting if you get to that level.

I once quit a pretty 2 year benzo dependency. I've sadly on the precipice of another. I'm also a nicotine user for sure.

Nicotine requires a decision to quit. I do think there is a physiological component to nicotine addiction, but it's relatively minor. Benzos or even heavy alcohol requires that same hard decision, but also a plan.

I did have a friend die from delerium tremens, alcohol

Last edited: