• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Benzo/Opiate cross tolerance with General anaesthetic (Propofol,Thiopental,Isoflurane

pally pete

Bluelighter
I will be going for an operation under general anaesthetic for the first time later this year. I'm just concerned that due to previous Benzo and Opaite abuse, this may have some bearing on how well the general anaesthetic will work? Will there be any cross tolerance? As the last thing I want is to wake up half way through the procedure. I've been informed that the procedure will last roughly 90 minutes, yet I don't know which anaesthetic will be used???

I will be having my pre operation assessment this coming Friday. They are aware that I'm currently on Diazepam 11 mg's per day and tapering. But they are not aware of how heavily I have abused Benzo/Opiate types of medications in the past. I will inform them of course.

After doing a bit of reading, the general anaesthetics mainly used today are Propofol and/or Thiopental, Etomidate, Isoflurane.

Any help appreciated ;)

I have both an opiate and benzo tolerance. Went in for a wisdom tooth extraction. Got put under with anaesthesia of some kind. It was IV so I am guessing it was a propofol/fent combo. Lets just say I was suprised at how fucking good it felt. I was like "damn what was that?", the dentist says "feel good juice" and last thing i remember was me saying "no what is it really .....". Asleep.

Your complete past history with Benzodiazepines and Opioids will play a much less significant role than your current usage (at time of anesthesia). Keep in mind, some people just require more anesthestetics than others, but it will be apparent to the anesthesiologist if you're in the 99.9th percentile of what is required. In other words, if you're using several mg of Alprazolam per day, it's something that you must share with your anesthesthesiologist.

It's also very difficult to predict exactly what combination of drugs are going to be chosen by the doctor in question. There's actually a certain degree of personal preference in regard to what agents are used.

Are you implying that you're currently using these drugs or that it's all in the past? I've had ~20 surgeries performed on this poor body of mine throughout my life, the latest being a couple of weeks ago, so I'm pretty familiar with being an addict and requiring anesthesia. They have ways of making it work.

I've aboused both drugs and been put under for 4 and 5 hours on separate times they said it was the same stuff Micheal Jackson od on they called it magic milk cause that's what it looked like milk knocked me out cold

^Yea, Propofol (Diprivan) is easily identifiable by its composition. It typically comes as a milky solution. There's also been the play on words "Milk of Amnesia" used in the past. It was part of the drug cocktail that killed Michael Jackson. When you do even just a little bit of research into the proper use of this drug, the notion that somebody would be self-medicating with it on a regular basis simply to produce rest, is pure insanity. It's extremely potent and extremely short-acting (5 - 10 minutes-ish).

No matter the combination of medications used, Benzodiazepines and Opioids are invariably in play before, during and to a varying extent, after the operation. You're definitely going to want to be honest with your team regarding your current drug use, but you should be aware that informing the surgical team of your past difficulties with recreational drugs will most definitely effect, in some way, your level of pain management post-surgery.

honesty is the best policy. anesthesiologists have one of the most dangerous jobs in the industry.(highest malpractice insurance too iirc) they have peoples lives resting on their calculations and need for pain management. oddly, as a redhead I always needed more pain meds and just so happened to get hooked...go figure.

but some ppl do need more, and a big fear was always not getting enough pain meds if I was in some car accident and they had to perform emergency surgery or some shit and im paralyzed but can still feel it...

I would be totally honest with your doc,

Thanks for the replies peeps.

I'll be totally honest about all my past history. I had some Oxy around 1 month ago.. 800 mg's over the course of 1 week.

I'm currently not abusing any medication. I am on 11 mg's of Diazepam and slowly tapering around 1 mg every 2 - 4 weeks.