Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Being Inclusive in Our Society

opi8

Bluelighter
Whenever there is any media report about any thing, I am currently reading a completely biased load of shit called the "Responsible Gambling Guide". Completely irrelevant, even though I could write a post on its flaws longer than I intend this to be.

In OUR society, media always portrays alcohol as something other than a drug. It's always drugs AND alcohol. I think, in order to really get the message home to people that a person who uses drugs, such as alcohol or tetrahydrocannibinol(?) or morphine, whatever, are all people. The same people who could use drugs in the future, may have in the past, or currently do. Purposefully differentiating the two, drugs AND alcohol, when ethanol is a drug itself infuriates me.

IMO Drugs AND Alcohol - should ALWAYS be - Drugs INCLUDING Alcohol. I think this small change would make our society a much more inclusive place to live.

I guess it's not worth saying then. Since we all know, and do nothing about it, there seems to be little purpose to bringing it to light.

I'm trying to think of a grass roots revolution that was popular to use as an example, but I suppose there aren't many revolutions I can call upon that society looks dear-heartedly upon, although at the time I'm sure there would have been a great deal of fondness for them at the time, otherwise, well, the revolutions would not have happened.

What am I going on about? This isn't about a revolution, even if the world may need a few. It's about facts being presented as facts. Alcohol is a drug and should be reported as such, instead of alienating other "drug users".. oh yeah, sorry. We're all converted. I know, I should shut up now.

So what is it we should do?

I asked the same thing about the new laws that they want to pass regarding opiate/opioid pain meds? What do we have to do to change things,especially that the media presents in such a biased way?

I'm certainly in no state to help with ideas. I just wanted to fucking say it because it's been pissing me off for a long time.

I think it's worth saying, opi8.

Revolutionary action in the sense of active public demonstration bring issues into the public eye and result in debate with two or more sides pushing their agendas. A crowd of people on different sides pushing against each other is not going to work in this day and age. This is my opinion - no more, no less.

So what is it we should do?

Some might see the following approach as passive and pointless, but I think that it's time for each and every individual to live and breathe their ideology. It's not about doing anything in particular, but stating an opinion such as the one in your original post in a face to face discussion can, at the very least, introduce an idea to people who may believe otherwise. Persuasive arguments and the pushing of agendas is more likely to result in resistance in equal measure to the fervour with which the original argument is made, and thus nothing happens.

Force results in resistance because basically no one likes to have an idea pushed upon them. On the other hand, calmly stating a belief without being attached to it and trying to defend it can have a slow but steady change on a fundamental level. Ideas such as "alcohol is not a drug" or "legal means safe/OK" are just the result of years of social norms being interpreted as truth.

So I don't see the harm in expressing a different opinion either on this board or in the street during conversation. The more people there are calmly and logically expressing different, sensible ideas based on research and first-hand experience, the more likely we are to see change - even if it is at a snail's pace. I have had some conversations during which I mentioned consumption of something that wasn't a socially acceptable substance, and the reaction is often that people say "Really? I never would have picked you as a ______ user!". To which I ask what they thought a ________ user should look like or how they should behave according to their preconceptions.

It's risky to admit to using illegal substances and I wouldn't just blurt it out at any time, but I think there's a time and place for gently challenging someone's notion of what type of people use what type of substances. It can interesting and enlightening for others, even if they don't agree or approve of my point of view.

Youre preaching to the choir brother.

^ This.

One way I always fight this argument, is show people how close neurotransmitters like serotonin are in comparison to other psychedelic drugs. Just to try and demonstrate that whether it is a vital chemical in your natural body, or the chemical that gets you high on mushrooms, it is all chemical.

Any moral convictions you do or do not have on those chemicals are completely culturally manifested. In fact considering the ever changing aspect of a persons world view, and the fact that they only have a certain time to live and have a world view at all, your moral convictions on those chemicals are also ultimately irrelevant.

Taking all that in mind, we're so very very confused and conflicted on what could essentially be called the basis of our own physical existence: drugs.

No wonder we're all fucked up.

/endrant.... ?

You can have a bit of fun with this perception, talking about alcohol as if society didn't differentiate between it and other drugs, casually mentioning it in the same breath as meth and heroin, etc. Also referring to 'using alcohol', 'taking alcohol', rather than 'having a drink' or whatever other way everyone else likes to put it.

^youre actually in the australian forum.

Opi8 - sorry if i came off negative from comment. I didnt mean to discourage you from starting the thread.

I guess im just so apathetic towards the media and their separation between the two. As well as any layman that cant distinguish alcohol is as destructive as any other drug- licit or illicit.

Its simple really alcohol has been used in our society for a shitload longer than most other drugs, alot of our society revolves around booze.

People are afraid of new things, dont worry things are getting better and more accepted. It just takes time.

^youre actually in the australian forum.

Opi8 - sorry if i came off negative from comment. I didnt mean to discourage you from starting the thread.

I guess im just so apathetic towards the media and their separation between the two. As well as any layman that cant distinguish alcohol is as destructive as any other drug- licit or illicit.

I apologize...I didn't realize...should I delete post?

I once wrote on a forum for medical and social help if they thought it was okay for me to supply my son with a drug that he was addicted to but could not afford to purchase. I told them that it was known to be one of the most deadly and addictive drugs known to man but I supplied to him and allowed him to use it in my home.
They were shocked and amazed that I could be such a reckless parent and told me to get help for us both.
I eventually told them that it was tobacco, and they then tried to tell me that it was nowhere near as bad as they thought and not to worry about it .
At which time I attacked their stand and said that I felt it was a big issue and that they basically had their heads up their arses. It was fun for me but in a sense was addressing the topic of this post.

If you want to lump alcohol in with other drugs wouldn't it just mean they will want to ban alcohol instead?

I like my brandy custard :(

more of an eggnog fan myself.

I apologize...I didn't realize...should I delete post?

no of course not. you mentioned what can we do as americans. just wanted to let you know you were in ausdd.

That wasn't on the MedHelp Forums was it? Those guys are all idiots and aren't open to reasoning and harm reduction. I've been given many warnings for helping people learn to CWE their Nurofen Plus/Panadeine Plus habits because apparently reducing ones harm is naughty!

That wasn't on the MedHelp Forums was it? Those guys are all idiots and aren't open to reasoning and harm reduction. I've been given many warnings for helping people learn to CWE their Nurofen Plus/Panadeine Plus habits because apparently reducing ones harm is naughty!

That's what the paracetamol/ibuprofen is there for, right? So it teaches punk kids that NARCOTICS ARE FUCKING BAD! Right?!