• Find All Reports by Search Term
    Find Reports
    Find Tagged Reports by Substance
    Substance Category
    Specific Substance
    Find Reports
  • Trip Reports Moderator: Xorkoth

Behaviors That Brought Me To Iboga --Opiates, Amphetamine, Others - Experienced

Did you read a lot on the drug and various experiences before trying it ? What were the deciding factors that made you decide to do it by yourself and not somewhere with guidance? Im also seriously interested in doing it but from what Ive heard its good to have some guidance. Theres the center in central america thats supposed to be great.
I mean after all, every experience in our life, be it completely trivial or put in overdrive due to drugs, is shaped in a large part by surroundings, circumstances, people, etc... With something like iboga that completely tears asunder your mind and blockages you might have, Id find it important.

As mentioned right in the beginning. :)

>The story involves a guy who has been into plant teachers and entheogens
>since age 15, starting with pot and then morning glory seeds.
>He was a young hippy in the 90s,

I have to concede most would say I have long moved past the 'hobbyist' psychonaut category and more into 'devote.' Ibogaine was something I heard of from the same book that told me about morning glory seeds, I must have been 14. This was before there was any internet as we know it.

As far as taking it without any guidance, I also mentioned that I would love to have a guide but I don't know anyone who has ever taken ibogaine, or any psychedelics as much as I have. I did have a sitter who slept nearby as I went through this experience. I can only imagine how an experienced ibogaine initiate could have added to my experience but in all honesty the entire experiences was 'guided' by the plant. I was listening to native bwiti music and it became the experience. That there is a 'spirit' there in the iboga dimension, I have no doubt, and all of my prior plant and entheogen experiences did serve as 'building blocks' to being the kind of person that could take this sacrament 'alone' as I did.

Also, my setting could not have been more perfect...as also mentioned in the report...I took the ibogaine in the same house that I first drank codeine cough syrup in all those years ago...that first nod was enough to make me a long time opiate devote so to take this ibogaine here was to come full circle as I see it. It is also the same place I had my first psychedelic experiences in when I was 15. So it was pretty cool actually it worked out that way. I shouldn't have been anywhere else.

Did you read a lot on the drug and various experiences before trying it ? What were the deciding factors that made you decide to do it by yourself and not somewhere with guidance? Im also seriously interested in doing it but from what Ive heard its good to have some guidance. Theres the center in central america thats supposed to be great.
I mean after all, every experience in our life, be it completely trivial or put in overdrive due to drugs, is shaped in a large part by surroundings, circumstances, people, etc... With something like iboga that completely tears asunder your mind and blockages you might have, Id find it important.

Yes, Ive read those statements youve quoted but It wasnt really the info. I was after. Youve have more or less answered my question now. Thanks.

I've heard say it isn't always the most intense trip but this is probably beside the point since it seems from all my research to open up really fundamental and formative material as well as having this incredible property of somehow reinstating "factory settings"

I can think of many questions but expect you will give excellent descriptions in time

was it anything like typical psychedelics (tryptamines, phenethylamines, LSD) or completely different/weird?

Life is funny, when one problem gets solved another comes along. I am dealing with some serious (non drug-related) issues that are occupying me. I have ignored good people that helped me to have this ibogaine experience, and made it possible. Please forgive me, I am still sober, the ibogaine worked better than I could have dreamed it would and no desire to ever go back. Just out of town and away from my PC.

Yoyoman, the ibogaine was pretty unique. On the surface, it was mostly LSD-like but a lot of content reminded me of MMDA, and some of it reminded me of other psychedelic PEAs. But if I had to assign a class, it is mostly indole/LSD-like.

Thanks for a really wonderfully written and honest to life description of your extensive history with psychoactive substance (ab)use. I've been on and off this board (and others) and have always respected and taken your comments seriously. At any rate, to me it seems that having written up this large account of past experiences must have played a big role in preparing yourself for your iboga experience and for seriously dealing with it.

Here's wishing you strength. Very touching story, dude. :)

This is without doubt the best by far thread I have read on bluelight. Thankyou so much for sharing so openly. You have a great talent:) for writing btw. Congrats on success it truly gives me hope. All the very best wishes to you my friend!

Last edited:
Very interested thread and write-up! I, too, explored the Iboga route when looking to finally rid myself of the chains of opiate addiction.

I'm amazed at it's ability to halt cravings even when talking extensively about the subject of opiates. Where, in the past, I would not be able to even broach the subject without making a call to my nearest supplier, the desire to fiend over opiates was just not there anymore. That was the most dramatic change I experienced from Ibogaine. I went 4 weeks, still going through post acute withdrawals (I do not believe I reached the flood dose necessarily to completely reset my brain chemistry, or whatever the mechanisms of the drug are), but not once decided that opiates were going to be the answer to solving my problems. Instead, I slowly began to see depression and anxiety as a means to truly rebuild myself and get to the root of my addiction and triggers. Although I did turn to other substances to combat my depression in dark times, I still was in the mindset that opiates just weren't a necessary avenue to travel down.

A few weeks ago, I decided that I would try opiates in order to finally get my work life in order, as that was the most challenging piece of the puzzle and job just didn't allow the leeway to wait out the lack of motivation to complete my projects, so 5 weeks later, I turned to my old faithful, promising myself, it would only be one day of use. At the end of the day, The depression and despair was so great that it seemed as though I had nothing to lose by using 'just once' as us addicts say. Well the following day, I acquired 100mg worth of oxycodone and began with a 30mg dose, which, given my previous addiction of using 200-300mg of oxy at a time, I was amazed to feel the same sense of contentedness and motivation to get whatever needed to be done done. I spent the next work day on a morning dose of 30mg with a 20mg booster 2 hours in. Working from 6am until the afternoon plowing through my work, catching up on any and all projects, I felt a sense of accomplishment for once in the last year of struggling to quit. It wasn't the same feeling of chasing any sort of high. I had no expectations to experiencing a mind blowing opiate experience given the fact that my tolerance could not have dropped that much from the ibogaine merely a month away from cessation of use. But, I was wrong. I experienced a sense of calm and focus that I have missed for so many weeks. Now before this becomes a thread about the efficacy of ibogaine and my failure to stay clean, 8 hours following my dose, with no more opiates in my system to fuel my motivation or happiness, I experienced something that I've never experienced before. My desire to redose or acquire more opiates was just not there. I had accomplished what I needed to accomplish and I was happy for many days following.

2 weeks after that experience, I have yet to touch another opiate, even though the desire to do so comes and goes, I have gone days and even weeks without even the thought of using again. My mood improved drastically afterwards and my motivation returned to about 70% of what it used to be before using. My energy levels began to reach the levels I used to have pre-opiate use many years ago, and I am content with the fact that I will never be able to achieve the things I achieved while using, but that doesn't mean I won't try!

My experience with ibogaine was not until one of my worst LSD trips, during which I experienced pretty much every was I could have been tortured or die. Had I not have been very experienced with rough psychedelic experiences, I can see this experience having left me very shaken, but I chalked it up to a simple set & setting, as most psychedelics are effected by. I took the ibogaine at a program in mexico focused on holistic healing. Unfortunately for me, my trip sitter felt that listening to some dark chants & psytrance-like beats would be the best way to prepare for my trip. Myself, being very influenced by music, especially when tripping, was turned off by this, but by the time I could realize what was happening, I could not articulate, nor understand what I really wanted to change, so I was left in my dark place for 6 or 8 hours of misery. As time goes by, I am able to understand some of the metaphors of my experience, much of it relating to me torturing my body and mind with negative thoughts and unhealthy substances. I don't regret one thing about the trip, despite it's inherent themes of anxiety and despair. I've still much to learn when recollecting on the whole experience.

Since this experience, I've cleaned up my diet (what was once ridden with fast food & junk food), introducing the juicing of fruits and vegetables to allow my body the nutrients it needs to recover and the prohibition of junk foods and processed foods from my diet. I've cleaned up my cosmetics, which I found to be laden with chemicals that are also harsh on my body and have begun making my own products derived from natural ingredients and even have hopes to start a business of organic/natural cosmetic products. I still use other substances every now and again because I enjoy living a life that is not 100% sobriety. I use psychedelics sparingly when I feel it opportune to explore my psyche and learn more about myself and my thought patterns and how to transform my negative thoughts into something more constructive to my life.

Iboga has given me a 'reset' button on my addictions and also a bit of the same goes for my mind. It broke me down to absolutely nothing and left me with a relatively clean slate. It beat the shit out of me and it took me a week to recover physically from the experience, even with daily administration of IV nutrients and a completely organic and holistic diet (part of the program I enrolled in). Although I cursed this aspect of it at first, it also allowed me the chance to retrain my palette to learn to enjoy the foods that are good for me and grow a bit of a distaste for the foods that aren't quite so good for my body and mind.

I have so much to be thankful for with my experience with Ibogaine. It's very hard to put into words how much it has affected me, but I can honestly say 100% of it has been for the better! I no longer live a life chained to my addiction and desires to escape from this beautiful life. That's not to say this has not been a struggle, but I look at these struggles from such a new perspective now. I'm thankful for so much more and I look forward to my future, as opposed to being despondent & fearful of what is to come in my life.

I'm sorry for the long-winded post, but I've yet to really speak about my experience with ibogaine and happened to cross this thread. I hope that is provides another perspective and some more insight on this powerful plant.

All my best to you & all.

-Chris

IF you ever want to talk, please PM me. I too feel like I hold so much back about my ibogaine experience for fear of sounding like someone who is proselytizing. But I would love to speak further to another iboga initiate.

all my best

Very interested thread and write-up! I, too, explored the Iboga route when looking to finally rid myself of the chains of opiate addiction.

I'm amazed at it's ability to halt cravings even when talking extensively about the subject of opiates. Where, in the past, I would not be able to even broach the subject without making a call to my nearest supplier, the desire to fiend over opiates was just not there anymore. That was the most dramatic change I experienced from Ibogaine. I went 4 weeks, still going through post acute withdrawals (I do not believe I reached the flood dose necessarily to completely reset my brain chemistry, or whatever the mechanisms of the drug are), but not once decided that opiates were going to be the answer to solving my problems. Instead, I slowly began to see depression and anxiety as a means to truly rebuild myself and get to the root of my addiction and triggers. Although I did turn to other substances to combat my depression in dark times, I still was in the mindset that opiates just weren't a necessary avenue to travel down.

A few weeks ago, I decided that I would try opiates in order to finally get my work life in order, as that was the most challenging piece of the puzzle and job just didn't allow the leeway to wait out the lack of motivation to complete my projects, so 5 weeks later, I turned to my old faithful, promising myself, it would only be one day of use. At the end of the day, The depression and despair was so great that it seemed as though I had nothing to lose by using 'just once' as us addicts say. Well the following day, I acquired 100mg worth of oxycodone and began with a 30mg dose, which, given my previous addiction of using 200-300mg of oxy at a time, I was amazed to feel the same sense of contentedness and motivation to get whatever needed to be done done. I spent the next work day on a morning dose of 30mg with a 20mg booster 2 hours in. Working from 6am until the afternoon plowing through my work, catching up on any and all projects, I felt a sense of accomplishment for once in the last year of struggling to quit. It wasn't the same feeling of chasing any sort of high. I had no expectations to experiencing a mind blowing opiate experience given the fact that my tolerance could not have dropped that much from the ibogaine merely a month away from cessation of use. But, I was wrong. I experienced a sense of calm and focus that I have missed for so many weeks. Now before this becomes a thread about the efficacy of ibogaine and my failure to stay clean, 8 hours following my dose, with no more opiates in my system to fuel my motivation or happiness, I experienced something that I've never experienced before. My desire to redose or acquire more opiates was just not there. I had accomplished what I needed to accomplish and I was happy for many days following.

2 weeks after that experience, I have yet to touch another opiate, even though the desire to do so comes and goes, I have gone days and even weeks without even the thought of using again. My mood improved drastically afterwards and my motivation returned to about 70% of what it used to be before using. My energy levels began to reach the levels I used to have pre-opiate use many years ago, and I am content with the fact that I will never be able to achieve the things I achieved while using, but that doesn't mean I won't try!

My experience with ibogaine was not until one of my worst LSD trips, during which I experienced pretty much every was I could have been tortured or die. Had I not have been very experienced with rough psychedelic experiences, I can see this experience having left me very shaken, but I chalked it up to a simple set & setting, as most psychedelics are effected by. I took the ibogaine at a program in mexico focused on holistic healing. Unfortunately for me, my trip sitter felt that listening to some dark chants & psytrance-like beats would be the best way to prepare for my trip. Myself, being very influenced by music, especially when tripping, was turned off by this, but by the time I could realize what was happening, I could not articulate, nor understand what I really wanted to change, so I was left in my dark place for 6 or 8 hours of misery. As time goes by, I am able to understand some of the metaphors of my experience, much of it relating to me torturing my body and mind with negative thoughts and unhealthy substances. I don't regret one thing about the trip, despite it's inherent themes of anxiety and despair. I've still much to learn when recollecting on the whole experience.

Since this experience, I've cleaned up my diet (what was once ridden with fast food & junk food), introducing the juicing of fruits and vegetables to allow my body the nutrients it needs to recover and the prohibition of junk foods and processed foods from my diet. I've cleaned up my cosmetics, which I found to be laden with chemicals that are also harsh on my body and have begun making my own products derived from natural ingredients and even have hopes to start a business of organic/natural cosmetic products. I still use other substances every now and again because I enjoy living a life that is not 100% sobriety. I use psychedelics sparingly when I feel it opportune to explore my psyche and learn more about myself and my thought patterns and how to transform my negative thoughts into something more constructive to my life.

Iboga has given me a 'reset' button on my addictions and also a bit of the same goes for my mind. It broke me down to absolutely nothing and left me with a relatively clean slate. It beat the shit out of me and it took me a week to recover physically from the experience, even with daily administration of IV nutrients and a completely organic and holistic diet (part of the program I enrolled in). Although I cursed this aspect of it at first, it also allowed me the chance to retrain my palette to learn to enjoy the foods that are good for me and grow a bit of a distaste for the foods that aren't quite so good for my body and mind.

I have so much to be thankful for with my experience with Ibogaine. It's very hard to put into words how much it has affected me, but I can honestly say 100% of it has been for the better! I no longer live a life chained to my addiction and desires to escape from this beautiful life. That's not to say this has not been a struggle, but I look at these struggles from such a new perspective now. I'm thankful for so much more and I look forward to my future, as opposed to being despondent & fearful of what is to come in my life.

I'm sorry for the long-winded post, but I've yet to really speak about my experience with ibogaine and happened to cross this thread. I hope that is provides another perspective and some more insight on this powerful plant.

All my best to you & all.

-Chris

Ferox, thanks for adding your part of the story. Very interesting, insightful and moving read. Thanks!

And mgs: please don't hold back your stories. I'm sure that myself - like all the others here - would love to read it.

[ramble]Well maybe I don't hold back so much as I am learning my outcome is very much a result of my personal preparation (half a lifetime of tripping, then 3 months of intense emotional work, stopping all opiate use for a good couple months, etc etc before taking the flood dose), outlook, disposition, etc. I could not imagine trying to have an ibogaine experience in the midst of opiate withdrawal. Physical discomfort aside, when I would withdrawal I would go through what I can only equate to the loss of a partner or love...opiates were my forever dependable partner...withdrawing from them always brought on intense loneliness, sadness, etc in addition to the fun physical withdrawal.

Since I got past the acute withdrawal, I was at least able to go into the ibogaine 'on my own terms.' I took it for a brain rewire, not to escape the pain of withdrawal. I think in my case...had I been in acute withdrawal I'd bet dollars to doughnuts that I'd be one of those cases that would need a follow-up RXment.

I don't know, I still am not used to all of this. Try to understand, I have operated for 10 years as a dyed in the wool opiate lover/addict. To know that 10 years worth of bad habits, destructive behaviors, etc were literally erased overnight is still somewhat unnerving/amazing/unbelievable/etc. There is a huge part of me that is still almost overwhelmed by this sobriety. But it is so wonderful.

Confused I may be on these new feelings, the one thing I am sure of is I LOVE THE WAY I FEEL. Every day that goes by makes me stronger as I stand on my own two feet. The feeling I now live with IS BETTER THAN HEROIN, better than that codeine/phenegran high I got at age 14. It is inconceivable that I would return to the class of drug that will work to take this feeling away from me. I know I am human, and another 'perfect storm' could occur in life but I am convinced it won't. I did my time as an addict, now I will spread the word that there is hope for the hopeless.

If I had a piece of advice to give it would be this.....if I as an addict can get past acute withdrawal in preparation for iboga than anyone else can too. Ibogaine obviously works and works well for interrupting acute withdrawal but if you work hard to get past that on your own...you may find ibogaine not only erases your drug taking instincts...but goes a few steps further by planting a seed in your brain that begins a whole new life...well beyond the scope of drugs. A month post ibogaine, I still don't eat red meat, smoke tobacco, etc and these are things I never imagined ibogaine would give me. It's not just a new outlook, its that my instincts have changed. My instinct is now to live and live well. I never had this before and never in a million years imagined ibogaine would foster this.

And unlike other psychedelics that may foster change but will require hard WORK to maintain the change, the changed brought on by ibogaine came with no work. It is not hard to maintain this because my brain was rewired to be this way now.

Yup, ibogaine is a miracle if there ever was one (in the context of healing plants).

[/end ramble]

Hey MGS,

Do you feel a flooded dose of Ibogaine could help regarding depression? I don't really feel like typing out my life story, but rest assured I'm quite (as the Dutch say) "at the end of my Latin" regarding this. I've had cognitive behavioral therapy on and off for the last 5 years. When it seems to go in the right direction, I relapse in to a state much worse than before. It's because I just can't change my behavior (daily rhythm, certain self-destructive actions, etc.) and it doesn't even feel like I'm in control of any of this any more. This is why I think Ibogaine would help me A LOT, due to it's nature of breaking habits.

The thing is though, I was hoping the more regular psychs would help me with this stuff as well. It's actually the sole reason I started tripping, and while it has certainly changed me in many ways, it has been in all the wrong places. Now, I'm much nicer to my mother and helping around the house. Plus, I'm smoking less & less weed than I used to and have stepped away from most drugs. In general I'm a better person, but still not better in life. Would Ibogiane help me break this endless loop, or would it just focus on the same things as regular psychs?

p.s I know of microdosing Ibogaine for it's SSRI and possibly other effects but I'm not looking for an antidepressant. That won't change me.

Yes, I am pretty darn sure it can help for depression. And it does 'interrupt' dangerous or maladaptive behavior patterns, certainly did for me. And it will allow one to look back in life with humor and empathy and even move on from it...certainly did for me (and I am not even talking about addiction here)

Besides the fact that ibogaine is used to treat depression and other 'mood disorders' with fairly good success (read "The Healing Journey" as well as some modern texts on the subject)....I think it is pretty safe to say I was a very depressed person most of my adult life....and while my current living situation is not yet 'ideal' I know I have never felt this happy in my adult life....ever...post ibogaine therapy.

I have never 'stopped to smell the roses' like I do now, every day. Close family around me have pointed that they can see my happiness, it is tangible to the outside world. Taking my personal experience into account, and all of the incredible work done Naranjo, as well as what I have seen reported by modern Bwiti shaman....I believe if a person who is depressed takes ibogaine in the right set and setting with the right facilitator (or after years of personal psychedelic training)...that form of therapy has a better chance of 'curing' depression (on a biochemical level anyway) than months of toxic antidepressants, or years of therapy.

My experience with ibogaine has literally convinced a few non-drug using family members of mine to want to have an ibogaine experience of their own. The changes ibogaine rewired in me have served to advertise iboga psychedelic therapy to three non initiates. Now I am beginning to plan a family ibogaine trip next year. How cool is that?

PS you are welcome to PM me. I am not a licensed psychotherapist but I have the same degree as one...and I am just as smart or smarter than one you will ever meet. ;)

Last edited:
Well MGS, I def. think you're smarter than my psychotherapist but that's rather because I live in a heavily reformist christian village than anything else. But there is a serious benefit to her because of that weird therapist-patient relationship and other things (the therapy itself doesn't seem to be doing a lot, as it involves breaking patterns and I'm just unable to do that). It's kind of like I need to go there otherwise shit WILL hit the fan.

Anyway I thank you for your reply and I might ask a couple of questions later on, but I don't really have the time right now. But thanks

It's been great to read how it's worked beyond expectation - that straight members of your family want a 36hour Iboga trip is bananas cool.
what in your opinion has worked so well about Ibogaine? The physical reset or the mental effect? - Hard and possibly silly question -- I know it's clearly both / some holistic whole - but "rewired" is a physical metaphor. You liken aspects of it to MMDA and LSD; clearly taking those drugs didn't stop your addictive behaviours, whatever other positive effects they have had. Then again it seems Ibogaines effects are rather more targeted ? Reports abound with uncovered behaviour swaying trauma and the like. How relevant was suppressed material that came up to the healing or is the material simply released as part of a rewiring? I'm not sure I am happy with that as a question but chuck it out anyhow

I don't think you mentioned nausea ? I take it you weren't troubled by it?

I've seen "Ibogaine is a SSRI" casually thrown out a couple of times on forums, can anyone supply evidence for this? I can't find any

I'm so glad you found sobriety morningglory! Opiate addiction has taken some of my favorite people away from me. I lost my wife to an overdose, and a close friend of mine. I was also robbed and betrayed by someone I considered my best friend ever. I somehow managed to stay away from its cold grip.

I thank the magic mushroom for keeping me out of trouble. They showed me how pointless my opiate and cocaine use was, and how if I stopped, many things in my life would improve. And they did. I can't say it was as effective as iboga was for you, as I still have cravings. I was never an everyday user, so withdrawal was never a problem.

I just wish society would remove its head from its ass and see what drugs like iboga and psilocybin are capable of. They can save lives! I've read about people using LSD to end alcohol addiction. In a world where everyone is addicted to something, we found our saving grace. And she's brushed under the rug and called bad. Sorry if that didn't make sense. I just woke up.

Also, you really should consider a career in writing. Your words keep me glued to the screen. Best of luck to you!

Powerful, poignant story, MGS...thank you for sharing it with us. <3

It's heartwarming to hear things are going well for you now. I agree with RR that the degree of self-honesty you were able to experience in preparation for Iboga (and have revealed here) must have been therapeutic. It also seems you also have a healthy reserve of self-compassion to help you get on with life...and that's a big factor in resilience.

Also, your confidence is encouraging, but let's make a point not to forget what happened to our friend, Tobala, two years after his powerful Iboga experience. It's a sobering reminder that addiction is a lifelong vulnerability (Iboga or not).

Keep us posted, MGS.