• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Beer Snobs Unite! 100+ IBU or GTFO

I doubt it. There are specific winter ales here that are very similar to Scottish style ales, very sweet but also hoppy, and heavily spiced.

ebola

I had dis a few weeks ago:
8188901954_24ff443bb7_z.jpg

Does anyone have views on the hopped lager?

It burst out here relatively recently from a company that produces only lagers. Their niche is that they put actual flavors into the beer. Each one comes out tasting sort of like a franken-brew.

So are there any other craft lager breweries that people have heard of? It sure seemed like a weird thing when I heard about this one in MA.

Welcome, bring fresh Heady and I'll bring some Apple Brandy Hunapuh.

Sure thing. I saw your post in the muckpile a few forums over. The only (and first) pumpkin beer I've really enjoyed was Shipyard's ale. I haven't tried a pumpkin beer other than Long Trail's--which was above average--in years though. The kegs made me remember I need to log off of BL and onto another site.

Does anyone have views on the hopped lager?

It burst out here relatively recently from a company that produces only lagers. Their niche is that they put actual flavors into the beer. Each one comes out tasting sort of like a franken-brew.

So are there any other craft lager breweries that people have heard of? It sure seemed like a weird thing when I heard about this one in MA.

The only other one I can think of off the top of my head is Sam Adam's IPL. Also, out of MA coincidentally. If I'm understanding you correctly.

Sure thing. I saw your post in the muckpile a few forums over. The only (and first) pumpkin beer I've really enjoyed was Shipyard's ale. I haven't tried a pumpkin beer other than Long Trail's--which was above average--in years though. The kegs made me remember I need to log off of BL and onto another site.

Shipyard isn't bad. Have you had their Smashed Pumpkin? More of everything! But if you want easy drinking like Pumpkin Head you're not gonna get it there. Go with Harpoon UFO Pumpkin. If you're in VA you should have access to Weyerbacher's Imperial Pumpkin, which is one of the better ones out there. Worth seeking out. One that I enjoy yet others seem to pass on is Anderson Valley's Fall Hornin' (that's Fall Drinkin' if you don't speak Boontling). On the maltier side, but I like those. Like Cigar City's Good Gourd.

mVMVvEv.jpg

Some we have on tap that I've yet to try: Penn's Pumpkin Roll, Terrapin Pumpkinfest, and Thomas Creek Pumpkin Ale. I'll pass on Woodchuck's Pumpkin Cider.

Any noteworthy APA's out there I should know about? SNPA and Stone APA are standards in my fridge.

Good IPAs seem to be everywhere, but there doesn't seem to be all that much competition among APAs. Sometimes I want something that's got style and flavor, but isn't an all-out hop bomb.

Roger, seek out a trade with someone and try Zombie Dust. I don't really go for APAs because the few I've tried haven't been my cup of tea, but Zombie Dust out of Indiana is supposed to be perhaps the best APA in the country.

The only other one I can think of off the top of my head is Sam Adam's IPL. Also, out of MA coincidentally. If I'm understanding you correctly.

You are. I don't really go near Sam Adam's much because their QC is a little lacking, but I'll keep an eye out for their IPL. The brewery I am talking of is Jack's Abbey. Who knows, maybe Sam's version is similiar. I hope the flavored lager catches on, just for variety's sake. It seems like it's just barely getting momentum now.

Shipyard isn't bad. Have you had their Smashed Pumpkin? More of everything! But if you want easy drinking like Pumpkin Head you're not gonna get it there. Go with Harpoon UFO Pumpkin. If you're in VA you should have access to Weyerbacher's Imperial Pumpkin, which is one of the better ones out there. Worth seeking out. One that I enjoy yet others seem to pass on is Anderson Valley's Fall Hornin' (that's Fall Drinkin' if you don't speak Boontling). On the maltier side, but I like those. Like Cigar City's Good Gourd.

I haven't had their smashed pumpkin, mainly because I go for IPAs year round. I can get UFO but I've moved away from $8-10 sixers and onto rare stuff. It's a curse. I don't live in VA but I can get most of the larger midwest stuff like Founders and west coast stuff like Stone and a few other. I ran into some legal trouble last night so this may be the start of my hiatus.

Also a little tangent from reading the shithole a few forums down... about people liking Pliny as their first palatable IPA. I just have to say. If someone can't enjoy Pliny, something is wrong =D

Any noteworthy APA's out there I should know about? SNPA and Stone APA are standards in my fridge.

Good IPAs seem to be everywhere, but there doesn't seem to be all that much competition among APAs. Sometimes I want something that's got style and flavor, but isn't an all-out hop bomb.

Like Top Ham said, Zombie Dust or also from FFF, Alpha King. Dale's Pale Ale gets a lot of love, but not from me. Give it a shot. Flying Dog's Doggy Style for best name. I sound like a broken record talking about Cigar City but for someone who doesn't care for APAs, their Invasion is tits. It's made with pineapples!

Top Ham, I want Pliny on draft. Or RR sours.

I live in Vermont. Anything RR is a no-go :(

Right now I drink Natural Ice. I love the micros; I love the local IPA(s). The budget rules all. I drank double sunshine on tap last week (top 10 on beer advocate) and since then... well... I don't have the resources to try new beer much anymore.

edit: Max, just found out Ballast Point puts out an IPL called Fathom. Look for it, let me know what you think. I'm aiming to give it a try by the end of the week.

Last edited:
edit: Max, just found out Ballast Point puts out an IPL called Fathom. Look for it, let me know what you think. I'm aiming to give it a try by the end of the week.
I've only had Big Eye and Sculpin. Oh, and Calico. I'll keep a look out for Fathom but for the time being I'm too busy enjoying Stone's Enjoy By series. Quite possibly my favorite IPA of all time. Yeah.

Enjoy Bys are incredible, certainly some of the best IPA experience ever. I feel bad sharing the one I had with my buddy as I'm not sure he fully appreciated it.

I had Fathom last night and it was good. IPLs are pretty straightforward usually.

Speaking of Stone and IPLs, their recent anniversary brew might be of interest to you (if you can get your hands on it) : Götterdämmerung IPA. Exclusive pilsner malt bill and only German hops.

I've only had Enjoy By on draft. Bottle I'm iffy about on this one.

I've seen Gotterdammerung, it's just hard for me to buy new expensive beer when I have tried less expensive beer that I already know I'll love. I'm sure if they keep brewing it, I'll eventually buy it. It sounds guud.

I've only had Enjoy By in the bottle. We get bunches of Stone but haven't seen Enjoy By on tap yet. The brewpubs around here that showcase country-wide blue ribboners switch out their kegs so fast it's ridiculous. One place has their entire 15 beer list---and not a single macro or mediocre on it--switched out multiple times a night.

I wouldn't worry about trying it in the bottle. Especially since they're so clear and adamant about the whole date thing. It would make me more comfortable if they canned it, but then they wouldn't be able to charge more based on it going bad by a certain day.

edit: obviously regardless of storage an IPA is better when fresh... didn't think that had to be said, wanted to make sure though

I've seen Gotterdammerung, it's just hard for me to buy new expensive beer when I have tried less expensive beer that I already know I'll love. I'm sure if they keep brewing it, I'll eventually buy it. It sounds guud.

Mate, it's commemorating their 17th anniversary. They're not gonna celebrate the same birthday twice. And between both places I work at there are 130 [rotating] taps, with very little overlay between the two. Needless to say, I'm in a lucky position. :)

For some reason if I'm shooting pool, watching football or otherwise engaged in bar-type activities (except dancing) I drink Bud-light and have to have a cigarette as well. Drinking at home I prefer Beck's Sapphire or wine.

Tonight I pulled home a few favorites: schneider weisse aventinus, weihenstephaner hefeweissbier (those two are fun to spell hehe), and lagunitas hop stoopid.

My budget allowed for a fourth pick up, one I haven't tried before: St. Bernardus Abt 12. Looking forward to it!

Only one not real high in ABV was the weihenstephaner and i only bought that one because i love how its the quintessential european "this sort of almost tastes like bananas" beer. i do love it on its own merits, typically drink something stronger tho.

My current favorite beer is Guinness (on draft of course silly). Its low in calories, rich in flavor and easy drinking.