Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Film Batman: The Dark Knight Rises!

how many stars?

• Total voters
^that is a (small) possibility for a good post-nolan franchise reboot

actually, I think we're on to something! that's why the B:AS and the Mask of the Phantasm movie went so hard back in the 90s. and, like I said, these formats were the most streamlined from the Batman comics - which is a recipe for success in and of itself!

I'm so glad you guys have found this article as interesting as I did! I posted it on FB and no one seemed to care, so it's nice to see it getting some love here on BL...
Oh yeah, plenty of love from me. I watched that video embedded in the article after following your link while on methoxetamine and 3-MeO-PCP and it tipped me into a wild psychedelic emotional experience that had me waxing poetic in 3-MeO's big and dandy thread, heh. Still, it's not exactly clear what about the sound of Bartley Gorman's voice was "inspirational" from Hardy's short quote. Yeah, the accent is there, but what else? It doesn't become clear until you see the documentary clip. I think what Hardy must have meant is that some of the way he plays Bane is based on Gorman, including the voice. Gorman's has an extraordinarily soulful quality to it (that song of his in the clip is really what sent me reeling when I heard it in context), as a person he's so singly determined and resilient, and he's led a violent life. That I could see inspiring Hardy, who is drawn to such characters if "Bronson" is any indication.

i completely forgot hardy was a star trek villain
18491.jpg

startreknemesis-hardy-stewart.jpg

oh man, despite its flaws i had many nice memories of st: nemesis. it was great catching it early back when they still did "mystery movie" sessions.

The movie was shite (had a few redeeming moments IMO but overall it sucked) but he was awesome in it. He was totally convincing as a young Jean Luc Picard.

The movie was shite (had a few redeeming moments IMO but overall it sucked) but he was awesome in it. He was totally convincing as a young Jean Luc Picard.

I loved it - thought it was the best of the Next Gen films, the battle at the end when Picard goes 'bollocks to this let's ram the fucker' is absolutely awesome

"Talia-al-Ghul"

This one pratfall alone motivated my 3-star vote. The Nolan brothers' narrative inclusion of Talia's character was simply baffling to me. She served no ostensible purpose outside of the tangential sex scene and the shameless M. Night Tweest at the end.

Talia is one of the few main characters in well-directed, big-budget cinema history whose wholesale removal from the script actually makes the story better. I almost feel bad when typing this - Cotillard is a fine actress, but her character's necessity is lost on me.

NSFW:
I mean, ffs, why couldn't Bane have just been the primary antagonist from start to finish? What about Talia could be more appealing or engaging as a supervillain than a 200+ pound Tom Hardy with an army of proletariat at his command? If one were to eliminate any incidence of Talia in every scene in which she plays a primary role and simply played out Bane's arc from start to finish (instead of having him die so lamely and anticlimactically), one would have a solid, enjoyable superhero film with 30 minutes less running time to boot. Jesus.

^ I'm forced to agree with you, but I still absolutely loved the film nonetheless

I thought the film was the weakest of the three. Bane's voice was completely ridiculous at times, and I thought the Robin bit at the end was extremely lame. There were some good action scenes and it was by no means a bad movie, but I was expecting a little more.

Catwoman was possibly the best part of the movie.

I will say though, the ending got me all teary eyed, which doesn't happen often.
Can probably attribute that to me being a comic nerd, but all the same.

Bane was the shit.

I will say though, the ending got me all teary eyed, which doesn't happen often.

Bane was the shit.

Agreed, thought the film rounded the trilogy off really well - kinda like return of the jedi, critically empire was better but jedi rounded it off in utter style, especially the space battle at the end which positively urinates on any other battle in all 6 films, the dark knight rises was the same - batman was put in so much more harm than any of the other films, and it needed it, Bane was absolutely superb, menacing, snappin' necks and hard as fuck all the way through the film, even the end fight when batman kicked his ass he was still swinging like a windmill, it was ace, Tom Hardy is officially my favorite actor of the moment

Bane was the shit.
i did too haha
^ yeah I'm not the biggest Anne Hathaway fan, but I will concede and say that she did a good job as Catwoman. it is a fact that Nolan gets the BEST performances out of his actors/actresses for his movies (Ledger, Hathaway)

well it looks like I'm the only one that thought the big "Talia-al-Ghul" and "Robin" reveals at the end were SUPER lame. once again, the Talia reveal was horrendous because it crippled the badassery of Bane's character.
NSFW:
meaning, instead of Bane being true to his comics character and being an extremely intelligent villain, he was shot down and made out to be a glorified guard dog, like how Bane was portrayed in those gawd-awful Schumaker films

and the big Robin reveal was just... contrived and stupid. I didn't expect to see such flippant idiocy in a Christopher Nolan film... I mean come on...

yeah, I kinda agree with this. I think it's obvious that it doesn't take SERIOUS acting chops to portray Bruce Wayne/Batman. he's a very one-dimensional character. despite James Bond and Bruce Wayne/Batman being very different, I feel that at least these characters are the same in THIS regard

yeah, that last scene you mentioned was the best scene in this movie for Catwoman. Anne Hathaway portrayed Cats with a succinct duality, that stayed true to her persona that teeters on the edge of good or bad...

that being said, I feel like no future Catwoman will be able to TOUCH Michelle Pffeifer's performance. she was just SPOT ON

I want to see this movie again, in IMAX 3D, of course. it may not be as great as Batman 2, but it's a damn fine Batman movie, set in Nolan's uber-realistic Gotham City

did I already mention this... isn't it weird that the Scarecrow is the only villain to be in all three of Nolan's Batman movies??

marissaaaaaa - the fact that you also used to love those 90s superhero Saturday morning cartoons is freaking AWESOME! X-Men was my favorite, but Spider-Man and Batman: the Animated Series were not too far behind... in retrospect, Batman: TAS might have been the actual "best" show, I am just a huge X-Men fan. the Batman cartoon was highly artistic and was perhaps the most faithful Batman show/movie to the source material (comics) EVER. when people ask: who acted the best B. Wayne/Batman; I usually say Kevin Conroy. he was the voice actor for this show and he was the first actor to use two clearly different voices for B. Wayne and the Bats. his voice work was immaculate...

for all you newly interested Batman fans, who are craving more, I suggest looking up Batman: Mask of the Phantasm (93). it was a movie that was released at the height of the Batman cartoon's popularity, and it was done very very well. I'm sure it's on Netflix!

I'm so glad you guys have found this article as interesting as I did! I posted it on FB and no one seemed to care, so it's nice to see it getting some love here on BL...

meh i could have done without talia now that i think about it.
i thought the fact he randomly slept with her was really stupid also. i didn't get the point of that..

uhmm..XMEN WAS MY FAVE ALSO!! <3

I thought the movie was good/OK. I liked a lot of the movie but there was quite a few things that bugged me.

The way they tell Bane`s back story then go " Hahzaa! That was really Talia we were talking about!" pissed me off. They totally cheapen Bane as nothing more than a puppet(which is lame). He`s BOTH a physical threat and a genius. Why is that so hard to show in the movies?

That "Blake" turns out to be Robin wasn`t much of a surprise. In the comics Tim Drake is Robin. I thought the coincidence of Blake and Drake was too much to ignore.

I feel every paraplegic should watch this movie and realize that all they need to do is hang out with some Arabic criminals,get hoisted up by a rope and do some push ups in a dank cellar to fix any spine issues they might have. I mean,for realz yo.8)
I thought when they showed Bruce wearing that robo leg brace(which some how prevents his heel from being shattered while kicking thru a brick chimney) they meant to foreshadow how he was going to over come his back breaking by Bane. I felt that wearing a techno back brace made more sense than what happened in the movie.

Other than that I thought the movie was entertaining. I`m sure I`ll buy the DVD.

Last edited:
^If you want that to function so people can just highlight to read shorten those tags to just "[spoil]". [spoil]Voila![/spoil] Otherwise "
NSFW:
"
NSFW:
batman-naked-nightmare.jpg

The only thing I'd really call bullshit on is when he calls Bruce Wayne on being batman through a seriously long winded explanation.
It made no sense.

better the second time. better in imax.

4/5
still rushed. NOTHING is mentioned about the location of the prison or the inexplicable healing (lazarus pit). tender lamb shanks pointed out to me that the robbery scene has a funny thing in it, where the day suddenly becomes night.

I thought they got around using the Lazarus pit by have Wayne`s spine "only" breaking thru the skin and being dislocated. And not being broken by Bane like in the comic book.
I brought this up a few posts back.

Here's one thing I wanna know: where the fuck does Alfred, the damn butler, get intel from?
Christian Bale is sitting in front of a computer hooked up enough to access police records and fingerprints and such, but Alfred has to be like "I'll look in to this bane guy".

Here's one thing I wanna know: where the fuck does Alfred, the damn butler, get intel from?

Haha that's a good one, apparently there should be made an entire series of Alfred 007, or maby he got mind reading capabilities. Some things going on there that's for sure as he is way to informed for serving food and beverages.

I also found the latest movie not that great regarding clichèes, alot of things magically just works out. Do not like that very much. Other than that a great movie - after all lots of movies theese days are crappy crap!