• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Basic nootropic-stack for Vyvanse? (tapering down/eventually full replacement)

zanders

Greenlighter
Currently I have capsules of Noopept (30mg) and Coluracetam (20mg) from <no sources>.

I am diagnosed with ADD and have suffered from very low energy/low motivation/severe depression and several anxiety problems (social phobia, mind and body going in to "fight or flight" mode with very high pulse whenever attention from several people is directed at me)

Vyvanse has helped me immensely with energy and motivation which in turn has helped me to fight depression in a most effective way, but i am scared of becoming too dependant on vyvanse (60mg currently) after 6 months of daily usage. I am talking to my doctor next week to either taper it down to 30mg or remove it completely.

I have taken coluracetam twice (not together with vyvanse, but later in the day when vyvanse has worn off, i metabolize very very quickly so vyvanse only lasts me about 6 hours) and havent noticed any major positive effects, some nice mood lift and music sounds much better, but that's about it. No side effects either.

What i'm looking for is:

• Preferrably something that I can take at the same time as vyvanse (either with, or after it's effect at the same day)
  • Something to help with potential major depression and low motivation/energy coming back as i taper down vyvanse
  • Something to boost focus+concentration overall
  • Something to boost working memory/short term memory (common ADD issue or from previous overconsuming of alcohol that most likely damaged those parts of my brain, although sober today)
  • Something that is good vs depression/low mood and no motivation overall

I randomly added a bunch of things i've read very promising things about from <no sources> to the cart just to see an overview of possible stacks.

I added:

• Adrafinil 300mg Capsules (I strongly prefer capsules for simplicity reasons + i dont have a scale, even though i know the hardcore nootropers here prefer powders)
  • KSM-66® (Ashwagandha Extract) 300mg Capsules
  • L-Theanine 200mg Capsules
  • Alpha-GPC 150mg Capsules

Also everyday I take omega 3 fish oil, magnesium, multivitamin, B6 + B12 vitamins, Vitamin D+E

I considered adding Phenibut to my cart but hesitating because i have the impression it's like a vyvanse light and I don't want to become dependant on it or experience any withdrawals from it

I am very much a novice in this area so please, I would greatly appreciate any sort of input, feedback or advice on what a good base stack for me could be / how my current planned stack looks.

Thanks a lot in advance

Last edited by a moderator:
Woah - slow down. Nootropics are valid but it sounds like you're adding way to much too quickly. Adrafinil is metabolized to modinafinil, but it's very hard on the liver and not something that should be done on a daily basis. If you're not getting the desired results at 300mg don't go any higher as it's not sustainable. I would also hesitate to mix two stims.

Phenibut is nothing like Vyvanse, they are in totally different drug classes and have different mechanisms of action. If you had an alcohol problem previously I don't think you want to mess with phenibut- not even once. There are threads on this site written by people who had previously never been addicted to substances that got addicted to phenibut in a matter of days. Withdrawal is hell and it may make your issues worse in the long run with lack of motivation, energy, attention span. Both phenibut and alcohol are GABAergic drugs, so it's possible taking phenibut will deactivate cravings for booze. I too ordered phenibut but ultimately sent it back as I am a recovering alcoholic with similar struggles that you face (depression, poor attention span, bad memory, etc). Phenibut should not be taken consecutive days, nor should it be taken in excess and because tolerance builds quickly, it is hard to self regulate.

Ideally to tweak your stack you add/remove one thing at a time, over a period of time...it's not an all at one time deal. As to what to add, I do t have any concrete answers for you, my main purpose was to caution you regarding adrafinil and phenibut. I have also turned to nootropics to try to repair some damage I have done to myself from alcohol and benzos. This is my stack:

Aniracetam 325mg x 3 day
Noopept 10mg x 3 day sublingual
ALCAR 50mg am
Alpha GPC 50mg x 2 day
Ashwagandha 500mg am
Coenzyme Q10 50mg am, pm
L-theanine 100mg 4x day
Magnesium 400mg am, pm
Curcumin 1g am
Piperine 7mg am
Garden of Life multivitamin am
Garden of Life B complex am
Garden of Life Vitamin D spray (deficient)
Fish Oil am, pm
Melatonin 2mg pm

As most of the powders I take require fat in order for them to be bioavailable, I pour a tablespoon of organic olive oil or a tablespoon of organic peanut butter in my mouth and then add the powder and mix together, then swallow.

I have done the above for a month and have not seen an improvement in anything but memory :/ I am getting ready to cycle off the racetams for a month but will stay on the others, as I have taken the others for years and feel better when I take them. The magnesium is specific for some residual issues I have from alcohol and benzos and it works just as well as a pharmaceutical but is much more benign.

I did try tianeptine 12.6mg 3 x day and that helped with depression but it is a known antidepressant and I am not keen on staying on an antidepressant long term. Plus it's not available by script in the USA so if access becomes an issue I'm screwed.

I figured I would share. I'm not certain that there are nootropics that will do everything you want consistently for the long term. You may want to research Memantine but I could see issues arising with that long term, however, it may be the boost you are looking for. It is an NMDA antagonist but it has a long half life so it's not really recreational.

One other thing - you may want to consider powders instead of capsules. They're much less expensive and pure so you're not getting all the other filler. I spend 5 minutes a day messing with mine. Mg scales are very inexpensive. They're not accurate at low ranges, but if you tare the scale and add a weight then you can more accurately measure low mg amounts.

Zanders, if you suffer from constant fatigue and lack of motivation, I'd recommend you to get your thyroid hormone levels and other endocrine functions checked. Hormonal disturbances often come with that kind of symptoms.

Woah - slow down. Nootropics are valid but it sounds like you're adding way to much too quickly. Adrafinil is metabolized to modinafinil, but it's very hard on the liver and not something that should be done on a daily basis. If you're not getting the desired results at 300mg don't go any higher as it's not sustainable. I would also hesitate to mix two stims.

Phenibut is nothing like Vyvanse, they are in totally different drug classes and have different mechanisms of action. If you had an alcohol problem previously I don't think you want to mess with phenibut- not even once. There are threads on this site written by people who had previously never been addicted to substances that got addicted to phenibut in a matter of days. Withdrawal is hell and it may make your issues worse in the long run with lack of motivation, energy, attention span. Both phenibut and alcohol are GABAergic drugs, so it's possible taking phenibut will deactivate cravings for booze. I too ordered phenibut but ultimately sent it back as I am a recovering alcoholic with similar struggles that you face (depression, poor attention span, bad memory, etc). Phenibut should not be taken consecutive days, nor should it be taken in excess and because tolerance builds quickly, it is hard to self regulate.

Ideally to tweak your stack you add/remove one thing at a time, over a period of time...it's not an all at one time deal. As to what to add, I do t have any concrete answers for you, my main purpose was to caution you regarding adrafinil and phenibut. I have also turned to nootropics to try to repair some damage I have done to myself from alcohol and benzos. This is my stack:

Aniracetam 325mg x 3 day
Noopept 10mg x 3 day sublingual
ALCAR 50mg am
Alpha GPC 50mg x 2 day
Ashwagandha 500mg am
Coenzyme Q10 50mg am, pm
L-theanine 100mg 4x day
Magnesium 400mg am, pm
Curcumin 1g am
Piperine 7mg am
Garden of Life multivitamin am
Garden of Life B complex am
Garden of Life Vitamin D spray (deficient)
Fish Oil am, pm
Melatonin 2mg pm

As most of the powders I take require fat in order for them to be bioavailable, I pour a tablespoon of organic olive oil or a tablespoon of organic peanut butter in my mouth and then add the powder and mix together, then swallow.

I have done the above for a month and have not seen an improvement in anything but memory :/ I am getting ready to cycle off the racetams for a month but will stay on the others, as I have taken the others for years and feel better when I take them. The magnesium is specific for some residual issues I have from alcohol and benzos and it works just as well as a pharmaceutical but is much more benign.

I did try tianeptine 12.6mg 3 x day and that helped with depression but it is a known antidepressant and I am not keen on staying on an antidepressant long term. Plus it's not available by script in the USA so if access becomes an issue I'm screwed.

I figured I would share. I'm not certain that there are nootropics that will do everything you want consistently for the long term. You may want to research Memantine but I could see issues arising with that long term, however, it may be the boost you are looking for. It is an NMDA antagonist but it has a long half life so it's not really recreational.

One other thing - you may want to consider powders instead of capsules. They're much less expensive and pure so you're not getting all the other filler. I spend 5 minutes a day messing with mine. Mg scales are very inexpensive. They're not accurate at low ranges, but if you tare the scale and add a weight then you can more accurately measure low mg amounts.

Thank you both for your inputs, very important information for me. I have a little fatty liver because of my previous alcoholic episode so the fact that adranifil is heavy on the liver is really important information for me, thank you.

I personally thought that this was very little nootropics in terms of stack (reading on reddit where people are stacking like 8 different nootropics plus vitamins/minerals). I just wanted to find a good "base" stack. I'm definitely going with the ashwaganda.

I think the magnesium and vitamin additions make an immensly huge difference on me, during my 8 years of massive depression and fatigue and basically rotting away (i showered maximum once every second week or month and brushed teeth like once every third day during this period) i only ate about 2 times a day, didn't move and what i ate what mainly garbage. Vyvanse gave me the right tool I needed to start dealing with myself, which was Energy, which in turn added motivation, and with energy + motivation you can deal with anxiety and depression so much easier that the latter two are basically not a hindrance for me anymore to live a normal life. Now that i'm drinking Joylent (EU variation of Soylent) and eating nuitrition bars as supplement to real food and taking magnesium+fish oil and b-vitamins, my overall well being is something i've not felt since i was a child (i'm 30 years old atm).

On reddit someone suggested to me that i talk to my doctor about perhaps trying Moldafinil instead of Vyvanse, for energy and focus, even if moldafinil is nowhere near vyvanse in terms of energy or how it works i think it still focuses on the two major points that i need to function, energy and focus. Before vyvanse i would sleep during the days every single day because of fatigue.

How about i buy these as preparation:

Ashwaganda
Alpha GPC
(Maybe) L-theanine ? What good would L-theanine do for me btw? i'm not sure exactly what it does so i'd have to research this

And then in terms of vitamines, is there something that is a _must_ need that i dont take atm? i'll list my morning cocktail that i take every day now.

Magnesium, 250+125
Some multiplus vitamine containing:
Vitamin A
800mcg
Vitamin D20mcg
Vitamin E12mg
Tiamin(B1)1,1mg
Riboflavin(B2)1,4mg
Niacin16mg
Pantotenacid
6mg
Vitamin B61,4mg
Folacid
200mcg
Vitamin B122,5mcg
Vitamin C80mg
Magnesium85mg
Iron
14mg
Copper
1000mcg
Jod150mcg
Zink10mg
Mangan2mg
Selen55mcg
Chrome
40mcg
Molybden50mcg
(swedish names sorry i just translated a little of it, some names might sound weird)

Vitamine D3 (special prescription) containing 400 IE
Bio-Marin Plus fish oil capsule containing 500mg fishoil, 190mg EPA, 110mg DHA, 1ug B12 100 ug Folacid (folic acid maybe, not sure about translation)
Vyvanse 60mg
All of these things are just semi-random vitamines that i take but overall has given me much smoother days in terms of well being and not feeling as exhausted when vyvanse runs out (i had no clue magnesium was so important to take with vyvanse, no wonder i completely collapsed at 2 or 3 pm every single day when taking vyvanse before when i didnt add any magnesium because i metabolize super fast, i had a fast metabolization before vyvanse and with it, it¨'s just ridicilous.)

My "breakfast" i drink together with these pills is a bottle of Joylent that contains, eh im not sure if i can post links looking at my first link got removed, but this is a PDF file from Joylents homepage containing what's in a serving of soylent, it adds another 200mg of magnesium for example: http://tinyurl.com/zxvfvvt

I basically want someone more cunning to maybe tell me if i'm taking too much or too little of something or if it looks good in general.

So to sum this whole post up, what do you guys feel about that i do the following:

Talk to doctor and ask if I can taper down Vyvanse (i'm at a crucial turning point in my life so I _cant_ go through any sort of episode of no energy / feeling shit, so i can't stop vyvanse cold turkey)
to maybe 30 or 40mg only in the mornings, and then completely replace it with Moldafinil
Once i start taking moldafinil, start taking noopept (30mg capsule)+ ashwaganda + alpha GPC, in the morning with the rest of my cocktail, do it for a week and then add Coluracetam (20mg)
to be able to pinpoint if Coluracetam adds anything positive to my overall feeling during the day. Although coluracetam is something i'd take maybe every third day at most

Again I really appreciate the time you both took to read my initial post and then giving me your input.

Polymath, I will write up those things (thyroid hormone and endocrine functions.. and after this post i'm going to look them up and see what they even are) and bring it up with my doctor too. I'm really disappointed in him for not mentioning the importance of magnesium and/or vitamins with vyvanse though, i feel like that is something every single doctor should be obligated to tell anyone they prescribe stimulants to. Heck, it shouldn't even be possible to get a pill bottle of vyvanse alone without at the same time buying magnesium supplements.