• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Basic diet for practicing addict.

legalizeall

Bluelighter
Wondering what a basic healthty diet would look like for the practicing addict of heroin and meth. Whats really good and what maybe to avoid. This is from a skinny dude that cant gain weight to begin with. Think it might be helpful to people. Thanks

When you're forcing yourself to eat and it's a chore, the prospect of weight gain is maybe a distant one.

However, I'd suggest carb-heavy stuff. Bread, pasta. PB&J sandwiches might be the simplest and most direct thing.

Or you may decide on beast-mode and just spoon lard straight from a 5 pound can. Hell yes.

Maybe this would be suitable in another sub-forum, but we're not about recommending diets and stuff to people. I understand how you could say proper diet and Harm Reduction are connected, but this sort of thing is just not what we do. If you would like to figure out a good diet, there are plenty of resources online that will give you guidance. Like others have noted, a good diet is going to be pretty much the same for anyone. If you're using Alcohol frequently, you will most likely be deficient in Vitamin B1 (Thiamin) and of course, hydration.

The lack of Thiamin in the body is, I think, what ultimately leads to the condition known as Wernicke-Korsakoff Syndrome, otherwise known as wet brain.

I'd counter that an addict may need more of a few things than the average healthy adult. Perhaps a little extra magnesium for the calming effects, stuff like that. Drug use wreaks havoc on your brain chemistry and there are a few vitamins/minerals/supplements that can support your system when it's under stress. I'd call this harm reduction. ☺ To the OP, if you're going heavy on carbs to gain weight, do brown/wild rice or sprouted grain bread rather than their white counterparts. You need all the vitamins and trace minerals you can get. I'd also recommend protein shakes. Really easy to get down when your appetite isn't there. As far as the basic diet part, lean protein, a variety of fruits/veg, and whole grains, along with healthy fats like olive oil, nuts, and avocado. And if you do one supplement, I'd recommend high quality omegas by a brand like nordic naturals. It functions as an anti-inflammatory and has been shown to help with depression, among many other things. The good quality supplements are pretty much only at health food stores. Good luck. ☺

If a mod finds a better place for this thread please move it but I think it's a valid question

Last edited: