Bad Batch of Dope In San Diego?

mcRiggs

Greenlighter
Hey there, I heard a rumor about this but can't find anything about it online or in the paper. Apparently there is a big batch of heroin contaminated with botulisim going through right now and people are being advised to wait for it to 'cycle through'. Has anyone heard anything about this recently?

It's just a rumor.

Black tar heroin leads to quicker vein death and skin necrosis if you re-use needles and the like, extremely unsanitary practices. If one of these wounds is infected with C. Botulinin (sic?), a common bacteria, you can develop botulism.

Heroin is not infected with botulism...

Just a rumor dude.

Also note that bacteria is usually killed when IV'd - however when IM'd the same immune system defenses are not in play.

Tar has been discovered with bacteria in it before. I have seen a picture with of a sign posted at a 'done clinic, about 'TAR CONTAINS FLESH EATING BACTERIA'. Warning users to make damn sure to not miss their shot.

No, heating does not kill any bacteria.

To kill anytihng you need to boil it in a pressurized environment for at least 15 minutes. If you don't even know how that's done or what an autoclave is, just rest assured that you wouldn't know how to kill the bacteria.

Just flashing the spoon with a lighter isn't going to kill any bacteria at all, even if you keep it there for 10 minutes, 20, 30 minutes. Common misconception that heating will somehow kill the bacteria or make it safer. It won't.

Don't miss and you won't really have a problem is all you can do. Your bloodstream is pretty resilient, but the same antibacterial defenses don't exist in the muscle and transdermal layers of skin.

TheodoreRoosevelt said:

To kill anytihng you need to boil it in a pressurized environment for at least 15 minutes. If you don't even know how that's done or what an autoclave is, just rest assured that you wouldn't know how to kill the bacteria.

Just flashing the spoon with a lighter isn't going to kill any bacteria at all, even if you keep it there for 10 minutes, 20, 30 minutes. Common misconception that heating will somehow kill the bacteria or make it safer. It won't.

Don't miss and you won't really have a problem is all you can do. Your bloodstream is pretty resilient, but the same antibacterial defenses don't exist in the muscle and transdermal layers of skin.

That should pretty much answer it all and kill the thread. When dealing with tar in general, bacteria or not, for fuck's sake do NOT miss. It is not exactly the cleanest substance to be putting into your veins, much less in your skin or muscle tissue.

when dealing with anything that isn't meant to go in your veins: Don't miss

but that's really something that should be common knowledge =D

^ thanks, luv :)

sounds like this has been cleared up so i'm gonna close. if anyone is aware of a contaminated batch of tar heroin in the San Diego area, please PM me and i'll re-open the thread.

I should have been more specific... I do know that you can get wound botulism from tar and that skin popping it is always a bad idea, as well as IM. I know it is always a possibility with tar. But this is something I heard announced in an NA meeting. Some guy went back out to use recently and ended up with an instant abscess. Its supposed to be in the media recently but I can't find anything. They were warning us to be really careful if we did pick up.
(and I pm'ed the mod who closed this:)
"I would really appreciate if you would re-open the tread because if someone can attest to hearing this as well it may help some of us out. I heard there was actually botulism IN the heroin, not that if you miss it may develop."

I think it is possible for heroin to be contaminated with botulism rather than it developing in your body because of the flora left behind in tar.

TheodoreRoosevelt said:

Biggest load of crap ive heard all day. Simply boiling water for a minute or so kills MOST bacteria. To kill absolutely ALL bacteria and keep it bacteria free, you need to do what you said and keep it pressurized and do it for a longer period. For the most part, heat kills MOST bacteria and long amounts of time or pressurization is not needed.