View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Ayahuasca retreats

DarthMom said:
yeah, i am so not looking forward to "purging" 8o

You might change your mind after you have experienced "la purga". In my experience, the purging aspects of ayahuasca cleanse me in a way that extends beyond just a physical cleansing, but that I feel spritually and emotionally lighter and better. This feeling usually extends at least 3 days to 2 weeks afterwards for me. I have found myself sick the gills, head full of fever thoughts, all my regrest and inhibitions, and bad thoughts in general, all mounting as I felt my body preparing to purge, and then once all the purging is done, I felt emptied of all that garbage. This has been true with all other psychedelics that have made me puke btw...

I'm going on BlueMorpho on October 30...its my gift to myself for my birthday. I've researched it quite a bit and I'm really looking forward to it...I am in need of a lot of healing so I think it would be good for me...tripping with a Shaman is the way it needs to be done...One needs guidance from a man or woman who knows the regions where you are going and can help you through it...I have left parts of my soul all around the country here and would like to get them back so I seek the help of a curandero.

Thats not my only reason for going...though psychedelics play a role in the other reasons...the AYA tour is just first on my to-do list while there...after that I'm going to explore a good deal of South America visiting the ancient indian ruins. I'm coming back up thru Mexico and seek out the Mazatec indians and maybe stay for a while...Thats what I've wanted to do for a long time now...eat Salvia with the Mazatecs and learn the customs and live among the people...I am overjoyed at the chance....

I am in need of much healing as I previously stated and think getting away from America for a while will help me greatly (as I am constantly growing resentful of the US government and the entertainment industry and just everything. I want humanity at its most basic level to let me find peace with myself and to forgive myself for my past troubles and mistakes and regrets....I need to be at peace and this is the only way I know of...

thank you so much for that detailed post julian, it will be tremendously helpful. i will be pming you soon, if you don't mind. i have a lot of questions.

thanks again.

catfish, i understand what you mean, and have experienced the same....but from the reports i have heard, the purging can last hours and that is what scares me. i am a heavy drinker, and there is plenty of spiritual garbage too that needs to go bye bye.

frog, congratulations on your self given gift, i am sure it will be the best one you ever received

great post julian. posts like these are what makes bluelight so great. much appreciated!

dm, i don't think ska is a chinese word :(

well, there has to be SOME variation of it to find :D

and agreed, posts like julians are what makes this forum worth being a part of <3

i haven't given my opinion in this thread because i haven't had the time

but last week i saw a "lecture" with Guillermo Arevalo, the shaman that folias mentions
that was actually more of a serie of questions/answers
and although he seemed quite nice, it only fueled my scepticism about shamanism

so, maybe in a ceremony context he has useful advice to give to people, but this lecture was absolutely ridiculous

i'd like to be respectful of him because i liked that he didn't pretend that ayahuasca should only stay in the context of shamanism, but yet i couldn't help but laugh quietly at every vague and empty answer he was giving
i really don't think you need 30 years of experience to be able to tell us "maybe yes, maybe no", "for some people yes, for other no", "if you feel like trying, try it; he you don't feel like trying, don't try", and so on

there was just no substance at all in anything he said

i couldn't believe that people kept asking questions as if he had actually been answering anything of value
actually, since most of the audience where new age hippies, i suppose they couldn't see past "oh my god, he's a holy shaman from peru!" and would have also found it of great wisdom if he had sneezed

that said, i don't want to discourage people who want to try ayahuasca in a shamanic context
it will give a lot of colour to the experience
but don't believe that the experience will be more true, rich, intense, easy, whatever... in a shamanic context than in your apartment
the setting will just be more colourful. and maybe that will placebo you in a more receptive state, but that only depends on your personal expectations towards shamanism, not on the "power" of shamanism itself

darthmom, you're right not to look forward to purging, as it can simply abort the experience if you vomit before the dmt has enough time to be absorbed (once you've vomitted, you really don't feel like drinking some more)

^^ i now only take the extractions because i have a gag reflex that prevents me from drinking the brew

but before that, i had drunk it 6 times
3 times i didn't throw up and had a full experience
3 times i threw up and barely felt anything at all

The Best Ayahuasca Retreat.

I am incredibly interested in going to an ayahuasca retreat.
My friend Ed, and i are interested in saving up.

We were really curious, as to, if anyone on here, has every gone to one of these functions, or if there is a particular one that is better than others.

You see, Ed and i both agree, that we want it to be done in thee most physically shamanistic setting possible.

We have read certain things about ayahuasca initiations being done, during moments of extreme weather, like a thunder storm or something like that, in a very remote location, with the concept of little shelter actually being part of the whole experience....

This is something that has been rolling around inside of our heads for like the past 2 years. So we might as well make this shit happen..... eventually...

So if anyone has ever gone to one of these ayahuasca retreats, please give me some information lol.

My brother just sat down with Pablo Amaringo the other day. The concept of shamanism seems to be vastly oversimplified in Western minds. Even where it is practiced today, it is undergoing major changes due to the influence of development and growing interest from Westerners. I don't intend to idealize the past, but according to Pablo Amaringo, the ayahuasca retreat brand of shamanism is, for the most part, a rather shallow representation of shamanism. Much of the tradition surrounding the ceremony is being lost, and many of today's "shamans" are thoroughly integrated into modern society for better or for worse. According to Amaringo, they just drink the ayahuasca and fail to dedicate their lives to shamanism. Perhaps meeting Western society on a middle ground makes the retreat experience more accessible. I'd imagine that the elaborate mythologies of most traditional variations of shamanism would be quite confusing to an outsider.

Amaringo's artwork:

07_LenguadeArcoIris.jpg

03_CosomologiaEspiritual.jpg

Another good resource:

http://www.ayahuasca-healing.net/ingles.htm

Great article on Amaringo: http://shamanism.wordpress.com/2009/05/12/pablo-amaringo-interview-and-foreword/

You see...

we're only want to do this, if western society can be FAR removed from the ayahuasca experience. We want something pure and something tribal and really of the earth...

So... i hope your not saying. the only way im going to find an "true" ayahuasca camp, would be if i went into the jungle trekking and asking people along the way if they knew any

Iscaros.

I mean... really, this is like a lives dream of mine.

My friend Ed has been up North, and he lived with the inuit for something like... fuckin... 6 years. Eating Seals, and making sure every part of the animal is used.
He is an excellent survivalist. I know my own limits and there really isnt anything that i couldn't handle that would be attached to going "all out" with this.

A Primodial return to the womb of mother earth.
^.^

So... i hope your not saying. the only way im going to find an "true" ayahuasca camp, would be if i went into the jungle trekking and asking people along the way

That is essentially what I'm saying, but I think some of the westernized versions would make for very good experiences as well. Amaringo is not doing ceremonies at the moment, but he recommended an elder shaman in the area for my brother. What's really telling is that Amaringo's son does retreats for foreigners, but he was not recommended due to being one of the half-way shamans. My brother said of Amaringo, "I just saw him like a stone and all of this madness, noise, distraction like a whirlpool around him." His family stood in contrast to his calm, peaceful demeanor.

On one hand I think it's a type of touristwhoring and it could easily be that the guides are not really committed to you which makes it all your nice little expensive spectacular jungle trip and they share their precious sacred rituals in exchange for your money, on the other hand ayahuasca remains a very powerful thing that can implicitly transform you - should be the perfect setting for it...
I'm very sceptical about the willingness of indigenous people to share their magic to be paid in wealth. If it were me I'd attend a proximate Santo Daime gathering (i.e. in this country), taste their atmosphere... maybe take up the rituals. It's a romantic idea to go do such a thing with Amazonians but given the exploitation it's hard not to fulfill a consuming role as a tourist these days. If you could pull it off and just journey on by or something that sounds cool but a complete arrangement feels like a tricky thing...

lol, wealth?

I would just start helping out around the indigenous tribes village.

I would try to help them out and do as many small jobs, until either, they through me off of a water fall into a Crocodiles mouth.

Or accepted me as one of their own.

Yeah sorry wealth... I was blabbering there, just money of course.

Even so it might be a complex situation in South America I don't know enough about but I'd be glad if the ayahuascueros would just keep it tribal. It's not that I don't want them to have any means of living but I'm afraid much money from tourists wouldn't do them any good.

Can anyone help ?

Long time reader, first time member.
I have very much enjoyed this thread. Thanks all. I have been on 3 Aya journeys in Perth, Western Australia, all about 2,3 years ago and found them extremely powerful and transformative. I haven't been the same since. =D

I now live in Shanghai and feel this would be a perfect time for another journey. I have heard there are Aya retreats here somewhere in China, but have not been able to track any down. Can anyone help me? Is there a resource list somewhere ? Maybe the word, "ayahuasca" is one of those key search words the authorities here use to block websites. It happens a lot here. For whatever reason, google is no help.

Thanks.

with joy beyond all understanding,

Mamahoohoo