Find Tagged Reports by Substance
    Substance Category
    Specific Substance
    Find Reports
  • Trip Reports Moderator: Xorkoth

Ayahuasca - New Experience - Disappointed in the Amazon

delsymfan

Bluelighter
So to round out my Iquitos Peruvian Amazon festivities, I decided to seek out a shaman for an ayahuasca night. I found one through the people I was staying with.

Normally they have many people but they informed me I would be their only guest, something they hadn't done in a long time.

I ate nothing but a small lunch that day, and by the time I went to meet the two shamans I was dying of hunger.

Firstly there were two people, because one was studying to become an independent shaman. His name was Alfredo. A man in his late 50's, stocky, and interesting. Spoke English, Spanish, and bits of Aymara which is a local tongue. My spanish is fluent so we mainly spoke in it the whole time.

And the master shaman, Froylan. A most interesting person. I expected shamans to be a bit more, shamanish. Rather, I met him on his property half an hour outside the city of Iquitos, laying in a hammock, in jeans and a windbreaker. An aged man, at least 70. He spoke few words, and what he did speak was mumbled so quietly to Alfredo I barely understood him.

He also had a seemingly endless supply of cigarettes. He rolled his own it was clear. And he had a new one every 15 minutes. And I never once saw where they came from. You just suddenly saw his lighter flick and there it was.

We began by taking a short walk to the back of his property. It was quiet there. We arrived to a small circular house constructed from the nature nearby. Inside were chairs, hammocks, and mattresses. I was seated and told to mentally prepare myself.

Out was pulled a plastic bottle, nearly filled with a brilliant ruby red liquid. And it was extremely gaseous. I was offered a smell before I tasted it. It smelled tart, very strong, but not gross.

A small serving cup was brought out and poured about 3/4ths of the way was my dose. I was supposed to concentrate my desires on it, and what I wanted to see. And then, I would drink it, first saying "salud hermanos" which is kinda like cheers brothers.

I downed it in two large sips, it really wasnt that bad tasting. It was just very sour and tart and bitter.

The others drank their doses. Just the 3 of us. It was quiet. At this point Froylan blew out the candle lighting the area and we were enveloped in silent darkness.

I sat back, waiting for things to begin. Within 10 minutes I felt a tingle. By 20 my vision started to blur and warp ever so slightly. I started to feel the purge creeping up on me. I estimate 30 minutes had passed when I actually did throw up. I threw up just twice on the night, and it was a pleasant feeling. As though I had removed something from my body that shouldnt have been there.

I continued waiting for more effects. Within an hour I had extremely faint CEVs. They picked up for about 20 minutes, but were still very light. No more than some dancing lights and colors.

Alfredo and Froylan began to sing for positive spirits and energy. The songs surprisingly were christian in nature. They had rattles made from bound palm leaves, and shook them while whistling and singing. The sound was enjoyable, and soothing. At times they spoke in general and in one case they put my name in a specific song and requested that my body be cleansed and spirit restored.

At this point though, perhaps 2 hours had passed. My body felt cleansed internally but I was feeling tired. There was simply no increase in effect. And it wasnt keeping me awake. And i was hungry, and being eaten by mosquitos. So I found my mood diminishing somewhat.

After about another hour, Alfredo proposed that perhaps I threw up the first dose too quickly. He offered me a second. I passed, as it was 3 AM. At that they decided to conclude the ceremony with a personal spirit cleansing from the shaman.

Froylan had me sit directly in front of him, no more than a few inches away. He lit another cigarette and puffed smoke onto my body. He had me place my hands in prayer form and, pressing his lips to the tips, blew smoke in between them. He then shook his palm leaves on my body, tapping and patting me head to toe. It was quite relaxing, almost therapeutic. He then proceeded to grab some mint liquor they make, and he sprayed it out of his mouth into my hair, back, chest, hands, and face. It was refreshing in fact.

After this they thanked me for their time, and I went to rest in a hammock. I slept only a little bit, and then proceeded to wake up to go back to my room in the city.

Overall i must say the ceremony was very pleasant and I enjoyed it. Unfortunately I really would have liked a stronger trip. Perhaps i threw up too early. I never exceeded a + status and that was a bit disappointing considering I paid $50 for this experience as well. However perhaps another time. Also regrettably I dont really have much more time in Iquitos. I leave monday. So I think I may attempt to buy some to take back. I also have a bunch of san pedro purchased from the market that will give me something to do in Lima.

Spanish version also available upon request :)

you definitely should have drunk the second brew! How do you mean the songs they sang were Christian? Sounds interesting though. Did you find you pulled anything back from the experience?

i ate aya recently and it was the first time i didnt have a purge, new preperation. anyway, i tripped for an hour and a half and came down quickly. ate a bit and the trip rocketed back up and lasted another 1.5 hours at the same intensity. im not sure about the whole not eating thing concerning aya. ive also heard that eating a bit of carbs will spur the trip into action. however there have been several times where i was unable to hold the vile tasting liquid down long enough to trip. i think if i was already there i would have tried that second batch. hope you got something out of it at least.

Yeah i thought about that second opportunity a lot but honestly i was tired, stomach hurt, been eaten alive, and just wanted to relax. Oh well. thats life.

And the songs were christian in that literally they were singing bout jesus mary and the lord. Its quite interesting to see a mix of what is essentially shamanism and christianity. It was still decidedly enjoyable.

Unfortunately there really is nothing in the way of a revelation or gift from the drug in this trip. However I can say honestly it was relaxing, I felt better the next day, and overall I enjoyed the ceremony and the company.

I reckon some wiser Shamans don't like to give a really heavy dose to you when you first meet them. It's like if someone you don't know very well asks you to drop acid with them. You would want to get to know them a bit before you would even consider it. My Aya session near Iquitos was not as far out as I could have handled, say in comparrison with some of the places I've been to courtesy of synthed DMT, and it was what I would consider a mellow experience. The Shaman innvited me to stay a few days at his lodge but the restraints of my holiday itinery sadly could not accomodate it.
I did not purge for a couple of hours after ingestion. Ernesto (the Shaman) proffered his pipe to me, holding it to my mouth for what felt like a few minutes. All I breathed was the rich dry jungle tobacco during that time. After a short while I noticed the tell tale twitch deep down in my intestines, which led to a moderate purge of some satisfaction. After that I had a brief visual phase, but I felt like I was only dipping my toe in the water so to speak.
Great report Del. Sorry to hear you have to leave Iquitos without working again with your friend. I was surprised to meet Ernesto, whose appearance and attitude was down to earth regular and without pretence of costume or style. I came to Peru with many misconceptions even though I'd done a lot of reading beforehand. I can't wait to return again some time.
Peace - Pipp

Sounds like you found a good one much like mine. I certainly would have enjoyed a more proper experience...

Got my Sandy P sittin under some alcohol now though, surely within a month when I have more time off work I´ll have a good mescaline report for you all.

interesting to say the least. reminds me of Carlos Castaneanada and Don Juan...

the part about spraying a menthol liquid from his mouth onto you...not sure i would have like that part :)

I had an ayahuasca experience with a shaman in Peru as well, I believe it was near Puno but not sure (could look it up from my travel log but too lazy right now, let me know if anyone is particularly interested). I was a bit disappointed as well; the family, shaman, and experience altogether was great and very mind-opening, but the trip itself was less than I'd expected.

Before my companions and I drank the brew, we all snorted a palmful of tobacco juice (fresh tobacco had sat in water for hours during the day to make the stuff), which, let me tell you, is an interesting way to get a nicotine buzz haha. Not entirely sure if was meant to be cleansing or what (definitely cleared out my sinuses), I think it was mostly to jumpstart our digestive systems as we hadn't eaten all day in preparation.

Might get a report up of the full 2-day experience with ayahuasca trip one of these days

Yeah sounds interesting... And they do seem to promote tobacco use although we had our own cigarrettes, no snorting...

I did love how froylan always had a home rolled cig in hand and i honestly never saw where they were coming from. Like he teleported them to his hand every ten minutes.

But yeah its something id be willing to do again. Interesting that yours was near puno, thats not a very common area for that stuff.

Correction - it was outside of Puyo not Puno. We went about an hour north of Puyo by truck into the jungle. Beautiful area.

Ok that makes a bit more sense. Very cool. Perus quite a big country for not being that huge. Its amazing how each town has something unique. I love it here.