Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Ayahuasca Discussion - HACK Triple J

Montay

Bluelighter
They're currently doing a HACK report on ayahuasca on triple j at the moment discussing different stories etc, somewhat interesting. If you guys miss it you can hear it on the hack section of the triple j website

I can't find it on the website. I despise these types of 'news' shows (like the Project) because they never do any research into the topic. They use media stories to perpetuate the misinformation going around.

Hack is generally pretty different, i've found anyway, they do a fair bit a of research into the topic. If its not up ill post a link to it as soon as it is

Hack is very different. They always do go work. It is where Steve Cannane started and got his Walkley award.

Check out some of their other podcasts if you get the chance Re-Distributed. They recently did one on Synthetic Cannabis in Australia and one of the well known Aussie "Backyard" manufacturers called up and tried to get on the air but they cut him off as he was just yelling jibberish and swearing. It is pretty funny to listen to :)

I can't find it on the website. I despise these types of 'news' shows (like the Project) because they never do any research into the topic. They use media stories to perpetuate the misinformation going around.

Have you ever listened to hack? I wouldn't jump to conclusions if not, they're usually pretty good.

I was listening on and off to the hack show tonight, Ben Lee sounded a bit silly to me. It was a bit interesting, though not as in depth as some of their other shows have been.

Thanks for the link Montay. I'll listen to it a bit later. I'm looking forward to it after everyone's comments

Not bad, I enjoyed that. Though it's a sad phenomenon that as soon as a drug user brings spirituality or anything else extra-terrestrial up, their opinion (at least on the drug being discussed) is nullified under the accusation of 'madman' or 'drug fucked'. Not that there were such accusations present in the show, but I found that if I were to be listening to it with a mind less open than my own I too would've dismissed many of the brew 'takers' as crazy.

Wow ive never heard of this shit anyone here tried it? I did hear some of the segment on hack, did they get rid of the girl host?

I have to admit it turns me off a bit when I hear people talking about spirituality and life changing experiences when on psychedelics it seems a bit religeony to me.

Hm, I should've clarified what I meant. Whenever people talk about having a life changing experience or even a thought-changing experience on drugs, skeptics seem to become the most curious people in the world. In itself that is not a bad thing but there are some things that cannot be explained without being experienced, some profound feelings and visions that can't be described without being felt. I have not done an aya brew and I don't plan to in the immediate future, but from my experiences with DMT and most of the other powerful psychedelics I can add that some trips will change your life, for better or worse. You might become more questioning, more open minded, more invested in priorities that weren't as important before the drugs changed your perspective. Or you might unearth an underlying psychosis and obviously, that will change your life. On a spiritual level I won't comment too much because I haven't had any extremely spiritual/religious moments, but talking about spirituality usually sets peoples craze-o-meter off even more without proper or thorough insight into the topic.

There is an idea in most skeptics mind that if it cannot be explained in language then it doesn't exist, or it isn't anything but crazy-talk. I imagine that if you talked to the majority of middle aged, working class Australians about an awe-inspiring, life changing trip you had, most would judge you on the spot and continue to form thoughts of resentment and disbelief after the conversation. They would find it perfectly acceptable if the life-changing moment was something more physical but because they themselves cannot see it or imagine it vividly, they disregard it.

I am making a lot of generalisations here but this is what I've found and it's a social stigma I would love to see reversed in my lifetime.

gimpman said:
I did hear some of the segment on hack, did they get rid of the girl host?

She's on leave to have a baby, I'm not sure if she's coming back. To be honest Sophie McNeill used to frustrate me a bit, she was always so hesitant and nervous sounding that sometimes it got hard to listen to.

I can't remember the exact comment Ben Lee made, but it was in response to something like 'what warnings would you give' or 'what could go wrong' and he replied something along the lines of, he didn't believe ayahausca could cause damage. I think that was a pretty irresponsible statement, because I think particularly in concerns to mental health, psychedelics need to be treated with respect, not with a cavalier attitude of 'they're harmless'.

She's on leave to have a baby, I'm not sure if she's coming back. To be honest Sophie McNeill used to frustrate me a bit, she was always so hesitant and nervous sounding that sometimes it got hard to listen to.

I can't remember the exact comment Ben Lee made, but it was in response to something like 'what warnings would you give' or 'what could go wrong' and he replied something along the lines of, he didn't believe ayahausca could cause damage. I think that was a pretty irresponsible statement, because I think particularly in concerns to mental health, psychedelics need to be treated with respect, not with a cavalier attitude of 'they're harmless'.

Yeah I didn't really enjoy Sophie's presenting or interviewing for the same reason.

I think Bernard Fanning from Powderfinger put it best when he called Ben Lee a "precocious little cunt." That statement of Ben's (about ayahuasca being harmless) frustrated me a lot as here is someone that is, to some degree, a "celebrity" (or at least someone in the public eye) that has come out and openly spoken about recent and continuing drug use and instead of presenting a responsible attitude he comes out with something idiotic like that to give the anti-drug crusaders more ammunition for their "all drug users are irresponsible" cannon.

The story was pretty good promo for his new album too, I wonder who he had to blow for that?

Has anyone in here done ayahuasca before? I don't like psychedelics but they intrigue me.

I found some of the listeners ayahuasca experiences quite frightening.

I think Ben Lee frank admission of experimenting with ayahuasca and the fact his new album contains references to ayahuasca was a major factor in JJJ's decision to run the story.

I love Ben Lee and his music.

If it wasn't for Bernard Fanning and his ways we would still be listening to Powderfinger. Most people in Australian music know this as fact.

"I wish I was him"
Noise Addict.

At least they didn't mention the cult that performed a ritual sacrifice recently whilst they were under the influence of Aya.

That story is being used to demonise Aya at the moment. And quite rightly so.

At least they didn't mention the cult that performed a ritual sacrifice recently whilst they were under the influence of Aya.

That story is being used to demonise Aya at the moment. And quite rightly so.

Chile newborn 'dies in sect ritual'

Police are hunting Ramon Gustavo Castillo Gaete
Police in Chile have arrested four people accused of burning a newborn baby to death in a "healing ritual".

Those arrested include the mother of the child, and the suspects are said to be members of a religious sect.

The three-day old baby was thrown into a bonfire in November in the town of Colliguay because the group reportedly considered it an antichrist.

Their alleged leader, Ramon Gustavo Castillo Gaete, has been on the run since February.

Mr Castillo Gaete, who was known as "Antares from the Light", considered himself a god and believed the world was about to end on 21 December 2012, authorities say.

He is thought to be the father of the murdered baby.

He is accused of convincing the mother, Natalia Guerra, to hand over the newborn for the "sacrifice".

Hallucinogenic drugs
The baby was born in a clinic of Vina del Mar, Miguel Ampuero, vice-chief of the Chilean Investigative Police (PDI), told reporters.

But the authorities soon found out the newborn had never been officially registered.

The police examined a house to find the charred remains of the baby
"`The baby was naked. They strapped tape around her mouth to keep her from screaming. Then they strapped her to a board. After summoning the spirits, they threw her on the bonfire alive,'' the investigator said.

The fire had been previously prepared in a two-metre deep hole in the ground.

The sect is thought to have been founded in 2005.

Members apparently consumed ayahuasca, a potent hallucinogenic plant used for centuries by South American indigenous peoples, during their rituals.

Investigators say Mr Castillo Gaete had sexual relations with all the women in the sect.

He was last seen before travelling to Peru to buy ayahuasca, authorities say.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-22304694