• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

News Axsome's depression drug enters competitive market after U.S. approval

Late to the party but I think it’s ridiculous that they’re marketing this as some new fast acting antidepressant. I know it’s been said already, but jesus man they just combined two old and well known drugs. It’s sad when you really understand just how strong the use of marketing is in pharmaceuticals sales. With esketamine’s approval what is the point? I’ve yet to see any large percentage of people actually be prescribed ket as a take home daily ofc.

I would however like to try this newly approved medicine for those with disruptive sleep apnea. I can’t recall the name but it’s C-IV in the US. Some sort of NDRI I assume but I’ll go check

Update Solriamfetol, a dopamine/norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor (DNRI) (brand name SUNOSI)

Auvelity helped me tremendously with MDD. Having abused DXM and stimulants in the past, I certainly don't think this drug has any abuse potential. Bupropion as a recreational drug is absurdly dangerous as it decreases one's seizure threshold; people in prison will do just about anything to get high.

On the flipside, big pharma may use this as an opportunity to reschedule DXM and make profits off old drugs. However, despite this DXM is an excellent antidepressent. If you don't want to give big pharma your money just get a buproprion script and buy some robotablets, that's what my girlfriend does. You can also use niacin or quinidine as a CYP2D6 liver enzyme inhibitor.

It's not a new class of drug in any literal way. This is pharma performing one of their most well-known schemes. Tale two drugs that are available as generics, repackage them and charge the premium prices people are will to pay for "exciting, new options".

It's pretty grimey. This drug is marketed toward people who don't know any better.

My grandmother has Parkinsons and one of her medications is a combination product that costs over 500$ per month. These two drugs separately would cost less than 20 a piece for a 3 month supply.

I brought this up with my family and naturally they didn't want to go against the doctor, who looked at me like I was insane for suggesting we attempt this. Not only is it cheaper, but with both drugs separate, it is easier to make dosage changes.

I really think those who do not do their research in today's medicine are opening themselves up to be taken advantage of.

It's not a new class of drug in any literal way. This is pharma performing one of their most well-known schemes. Tale two drugs that are available as generics, repackage them and charge the premium prices people are will to pay for "exciting, new options".

It's pretty grimey. This drug is marketed toward people who don't know any better.

My grandmother has Parkinsons and one of her medications is a combination product that costs over 500$ per month. These two drugs separately would cost less than 20 a piece for a 3 month supply.

I brought this up with my family and naturally they didn't want to go against the doctor, who looked at me like I was insane for suggesting we attempt this. Not only is it cheaper, but with both drugs separate, it is easier to make dosage changes.

I really think those who do not do their research in today's medicine are opening themselves up to be taken advantage of.
It truly is ridiculous what people don't know. A good example is the new "drug" Epidiolex, which is literally just CBD, cannabidiol... and costs $1900 for 100ml which is a month's supply.

I tried Wellbutrin for my depression/anxiety and after 3 or 4 days, I called my Dr. I became unbelievably horny on about the second or third day…and not in an enjoyable way. It was extremely uncomfortable. I had to stop taking it. I can’t imagine how it would affect me if a snorted a similar or larger dose.

I think I read somewhere that bupropion has the nickname ‘prison crack’ due to the prevalence of its recreational use among that community. Apparently it’s only good when insufflated…

I tried it as an antidepressant for about a month but had to stop as it was making my suicidality much worse. I felt kind of manic tbh

I enjoyed the DXM the one time I tried it. I made the mistake of thinking it’d be much more uplifting like a psychedelic and decided I’d go for a bike ride. Took one puff of weed at the endpoint of the rail trail, and somehow made it back as it was all hitting my system. Idk how I didn’t crash tbh

I got home, crawled into bed and listened to Miles Davis on some nice headphones. Overall a very positive experience. And the week after was a nice afterglow free of nearly all depressive symptoms. I can definitely understand why they chose it

Ya i once sold wellbutrin to a ex prisoner and he procedded to snort the stuff right in my driveway lol. Ive also heard of some guys shooting it up

If i was depressed id just get a script for generic wellbutrin and buy some robotussin or something rather then pay for this shit

Up to when my wife died, I was conducting a literature search for peer reviewed papers concerning NMDA antagonist antidepressants (well actually, I was just concentrating on one, mxe - surprise, surprise!). As well as the peer reviewed papers, I have quite a few emails thanking me for mxe, as it had worked where no other antidepressant had (my motivation for creating mxe was for something to help treat my phantom limb pain, without suffering ketamine's big drawbacks - it can result in excruciating bladder pain and scares the shit out of a reasonable number of recipients. That it turned out to be a wonderful antidepressant is pure serendipity). MXE is both an NMDA antagonist and a SSRI. A double whammy antidepressant, but I have this awful feeling that I'm pissing into the wind, because it became illegal before any data about it's impressive antidepressant effects: a sort of Deja vu about what happened to psychedelics. If it has as long a wait, I will be 'the late fastandbulbous' (No fucking hope, I'll get past a century, like Albert Hoffman, who did get to see his creation being reassessed as a therapeutic drug. I'm amazed I got past a half century!)

It truly is ridiculous what people don't know. A good example is the new "drug" Epidiolex, which is literally just CBD, cannabidiol... and costs $1900 for 100ml which is a month's supply.

Oh don't get me started. I won't turn this into a thread about my relationship with my grandmother, but she takes CBD products as well.

The extended family love to share their opinions and butt in. I have an Aunt who is wicked into supplements, wellness, yoga... she's involved in MLM and was pretty close to running off with a cult at one point. To paint a picture, she's incredibly arrogant and ignorant, but she knows "all that secret stuff that nobody else knows".

She would only buy this certain, branded CBD product that was costing +150 a month, plus shipping. I told them I could get enough hemp oil to keep her in stock for the rest of her life. Fuck, if I were in Vermont, I could get that quantity for 50 bucks at most. It would be quality. I would know exactly where it came from etc.

That was not acceptable though. It had to be this expensive, branded shit (that was basically underdosed for many conditions if taken as directed). The conversation was like "of course Ryan is suggesting the solution is to go buy drugs". People make a lot of money off of this ignorance and all of this "new" medication is pretty indicative of this.

Only since this is now a conversation, I have IV and insufflated Wellbutrin.

Think what you may, but Wellbutrin was almost my first stim overdose.

It has abuse potential. And I think others may agree.
Wellbutrin can only have abuse potential if you´re into panic attacks and unwelcome stimulation .
Just take those pills orally, they can work wonders when taken as prescribed (personally owe them the fact that I haven´t touched a fag in years, it also sorted my depressive mood out close to instantly -it motivated me to again do things I had lost interest in for a while there .
After 1 year I had my life back. Always comes to that point where you ask yourself why you´re STILL on this or that med ,and so it did -quit it without any tapering and was expecting some type of withdrawal ...what did I get ? Nothing. Zero . If there´s a med with such benefits that doesn´t cause addiction I can´t come up with one (if you see Molly and acid etc as meds, sure ,they´re not addictive per se either ).
Try not to close that door by abusing it , sth which may just render its original purpose ineffective in case you ever need to be put on an AD.