• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Average Bluelighter loans outstanding

captainballs

Bluelighter
I was just looking for a reason to justify taking out a loan, because I really want to go overseas, and I don't want the money to come out of my little brothers' college funds. So far I'm debt free, not counting like a million dollars worth of credit card debt, and I want to take out about $15,000 for a semester abroad. Is it worth it I wonder? I think it will be a valuable experience, and I know that most people have at least that much out in student loans. How much do you guys have out?

12,000 in student loans here.

but I work with International Programs and I do think studying abroad would be very beneficial to your resume' and worth the investment. You can pay back those student loans at minimum payments for the rest of your life.

Are there any disadvantages to just paying the minimum payments? I mean, like, are there things you're not allowed to get into if you have student loans out?

Personally, I've got 22k in student "loans" the system is a bit different here in Australia...

But then I've also got like 12k in credit card debt...

Personally, I'd be wanting to destroy the credit card debt before going overboard with student loans... but then, studying overseas is an opportunity that I wished that I had, so weigh it up and come up with something that works for you :)

Also ifyou go somewhere cheaper, maybe you won't need 15k for a semester?

CB :)

captain: no, in fact I've had a credit counselor visit my university, and he advised us to make the minimum payments religiously, as they help build solid credit. I guess maybe it could be considered an outstanding debt, and hinder you from being approved of massive car loans and mortages from the bank.

Well, hopefully I'll be able to pay off whatever I owe in like a year. I've got a lot to think about, for sure. If I keep my mind right I'll be a big baller one day, so I've already got the ball rolling for the overseas thing. Thnx!

I left uni almost 6 years ago and still have £2200 (about $4000) outstanding. I was paying it off at £125/month but recently deferred the payments because I'm still earning less than the threshold at which you have to pay them, and can't really afford it at the moment.

I've got you all beat! 28, owe about 70k in student loans, no other debt whatsoever. I've also been in college for about 10 years, although all of my tuition was covered through scholarships and government programs. I worked part time or full time through most of my education, and simply did not make enough to cover living expenses and emergency situations that came up. I also had no college fund or contributions from anyone else.

15k seems like a bit much for a semester abroad...does your school happen to have any programs that sponsor study abroad? Those tend to make it quite a bit more affordable and are probably seen in a more favorable light than if you just took a semester and went over there by yourself.

Well, it seems that that's how much it will cost only because I will have to get my own apartment and buy my own food. Tuition itself doesn't even cost 5 grand. :\

Are there not arrangements made to stay in dorms or a shared flat overseas? Most programs will arrange this as well.

Hey it's a good thing you guys were skeptical. You had me wondering also, why the 15 grand...

SO I asked my friend who works for the program, and he said it's more like 9 or 10 grand, everything included. As far as the dorms, I'm sure it's possible, but I just don't think I can let it go down like that. Unless the dorms have private bathrooms and shared kitchens, then it might be an option. But I'd rather experience Finland more in a citizen/student sense than in a purely student sense. I want to shop at the local grocery stores, deal with nasty neighbors, all that good stuff...

^
man why finland that place is soooo boring

come to the netherlands

Ugh. I want to. My roomate is going next semester. Believe me, I tried and tried. But there's only certain programs that comply with my MBA requirements, as well as the time frame I'm looking at. Helsinki, FInland, and Nottingham, England are my only two options. But I want to move to the netherlands permanently one day, and I think that studying abroad anywhere in Europe is at least a step in that direction. Ugh. I know.

Why is Finland so boring? I'm just going there because I think the word "Helisinki" will look good on my resume.

Last edited:
Holy SHIT! No joke, this thread made me remember my loans are due to be paid back next month! Fuck i had forgotten all about that until i saw this thread.
Holy fuck. No way!! No! No!

After my undergraduate work, only $3000 in student loans (God bless scholarships). After my graduate degree, about an additional $16,000.

Though Fizzy is correct. Fifteen thousand does sound quite a bit much when it comes to studying abroad. But personally, I think it would be entirely worth accumulating the debt. I wish I would've thought a little harder about doing it myself. Everyone I know that has tells me that it was more than worth everything they had to sacrafice to get there.