• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Automotive advice on a totaled HONDA ACCORD

Solitude_within

Bluelighter
Thanks for clicking my thread!

I recently totaled my 2001 Accord and I'm going to be posting it on Craigslist to sell. There's extensive damage to the front right side of the body, and some of the internal components shifted during the collision (but are otherwise intact). The car is in otherwise good shape. I humbly ask, dear auto experts and enthusiasts: what would be a sensible asking price for this car?

Thank you in advance for any help.

How did the engine fare? As a parts car, there's not much demand for an Accord but the engines in them are fairly valuable as they can be swapped into other Honda chassis. If the engine's in good shape, then I think your best bet would be finding out first exactly what model your car has and what it typically sells for. Then you could ask a junkyard what they'd pay for it and negotiate the price up by pointing out you know what the engine in it is worth. That may be the most hassle-free way of doing it, but then again a lot of junkyards are staffed by total cretins. The other option is having a mechanic cherrypick the engine and trans, sell the shell to the junkyard at scrap value and sell the drivetrain alone for the going price. You'd need to have some space to store it meanwhile, but there's always a great chance someone will come by to pick up a Honda engine :)

The engine was mostly unharmed, so I'm going to take your advice and see what I can get for different parts of that.

thank you so much, this gives me some direction!

yeah if you have the right engine in that accord, there are more than enough people out there who would be willing to swap it in if it's unharmed, if it's fucked in any way though, your best off getting a friend who is a mechanic to assess it. No one is going to want to swap in an engine that has possible issues.

If you had the v6 in there, you may be in luck. I don't think there's much demand for the 4 cylinder engines as they have incredibly low HP and tuners want that 200hp v6. The tranny on the accords back then sucked, not a whole lot you can do other than to have a mechanic friend take a look and part it out IMO. That's a huge pain in the ass though, if you can ensure the engine is fine, i'm sure some ricer kid will take the whole thing for parts if it's the v6.

The engine was mostly unharmed, so I'm going to take your advice and see what I can get for different parts of that.

thank you so much, this gives me some direction!

Np, hope it works out for ya. FWIW, I know there's a good number of die-hard SOHC enthusiasts in the PNW so even if you've got a 4-cyl F motor there's a good chance someone will claim it locally