• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Australian navy makes $700m heroin bust off Tanzania

Anyone know what happened to the crew of the ship or the masterminds behind the shipment? No mention of arrests but they kept a sample which I presume would be used for evidence in court.

^ The part in BlueHues post I was wondering about is where he said 700 million for 350 something 'million' kilos….?

Anyway maybe they 'accidentally' aded another 0 and it should have been $70 mill.

They always inflate prices to the bullshit.
Oh okay, yeah not "350 million kilos"....

Better use of naval resources than turning back boatloads of desperate refugees and torturing people for needing to use the toilet - which is how a considerable contingent of RAN personnel are currently spending their time to the south of Indonesia :(

Both are quite upsetting, and I don't even use heroin.
This will be known in years to come as the "heroin overboard saga" or someshit and government ministers will swear til blue in the face that "it was all destroyed by throwing it into the ocean".

I bet you 353 kilos of smack that a lot of that stuff will mysteriously find its way to users...not that I'd dare suggest the Royal Australian Navy are capable of doing anything shifty.
Butter wouldn't melt in their mouths, just good little sailors! No perverts or sadists in the Navy!
I'm sure all that smack went straight in the drink and nobody is funding black-ops or keeping government ministers in free dope to help soothe their tortured souls and get them through another term of plunder and abuse.

oh australia.

throw a lit cigarette from a moving vehicle, receive an EPA fine for $577.44. dump 353kgs of heroin into the ocean, no worries. 8(

...kytnism...:|

^ chuck another bag of smack in the briny, mate
Curious about the lack of details in this story.
Not to make (any more) wild conspiracy theories, but I wonder how this story, and the massive PR disaster/censorship of the mistreatment of refugees relate to one another. Just a happy coincidence, yeah?
Just as that story breaks out of the "national security" smokescreen of bullshit and into the world press - making the Navy and the Government look bad, this little tale of copping dope on the high seas emerges.
I like their little photo with props and oddly laid out bags of plundered loot - er, I mean seized contraband.

Australian conservative governments never lie, and never stage or exaggerate incidents they can exploit politically (especially not with the Royal Australian Navy) so I take comfort in believing all of this without question.
The military is always above criticism, being so squeaky clean and all.

oh australia.

throw a lit cigarette from a moving vehicle, receive an EPA fine for $577.44. dump 353kgs of heroin into the ocean, no worries. 8(

WTF? How could you possibly even begin to draw your bow that far?

300kg of smack is going to dilute very, very quickly out in the middle of the ocean - a lit cigarette in Australia could start the kind of raging inferno of the kind that regularly consumes both live and property.

The two don't even begin to be comparable.

I wonder what you propose the HMAS Melbourne was *supposed* to do with 300kgs of illegal and dangerous contraband - just leave it in storage for 6 months while it remains on active duty?

^ Oh so in your mind polluting the ocean is warranted if it needs to be done in order to enforce a government's authority to tell us what we can and can not do with our bodies?

You must think that Fukushima was handled properly too.....

^ Oh so in your mind polluting the ocean is warranted if it needs to be done in order to enforce a government's authority to tell us what we can and can not do with our bodies?

You must think that Fukushima was handled properly too.....

You too draw an impressively long bow. I'm saying it's just not comparable to throwing a lit cigarette from your car window in a place as fire-prone as Australia. I had a bushfire within 5 kms of my house on the weekend, it was 41°C with wind gusting at up to 100 km/h - I'm kind of particular about people who throw lit cigarettes from moving cars.

In contrast to that, dumping a few hundred kgs of smack into the deep ocean, several nautical miles off-shore, is essentially harmless. That's a LOT of water, it would dilute VERY quickly, a vessel like the HMAS Melbourne probably does more ecological damage just by turning its engines on than those 300kgs of smack would have caused.

Any idea where this was actually headed?

If I had to guess, Europe via Africa. A ship coming from Pakistan, sell the drugs on into the African smuggling routes so that it eventually finds its way to Europe. That's a wild guess based solely from looking at the map.

You too draw an impressively long bow. I'm saying it's just not comparable to throwing a lit cigarette from your car window in a place as fire-prone as Australia. I had a bushfire within 5 kms of my house on the weekend, it was 41°C with wind gusting at up to 100 km/h - I'm kind of particular about people who throw lit cigarettes from moving cars.

In contrast to that, dumping a few hundred kgs of smack into the deep ocean, several nautical miles off-shore, is essentially harmless. That's a LOT of water, it would dilute VERY quickly, a vessel like the HMAS Melbourne probably does more ecological damage just by turning its engines on than those 300kgs of smack would have caused.

I understand the fire thing. I wasn't saying anything about that at all.

But if they did it with this seizure, its likely not the first, nor the last. And given the negative press going on with Australia right now, its probably not the biggest seizure that they've ever had either its just something that came at an opportune time for them to try to get positive press. Over time, the effects on the environment will stack and that's when the problems really start. You know the phrase "if you give them an inch, they'll take a mile?" It very much applies here where something that seems small can add up to something really big if people don't say anything about it.

I understand the fire thing. I wasn't saying anything about that at all.

But if they did it with this seizure, its likely not the first, nor the last. And given the negative press going on with Australia right now, its probably not the biggest seizure that they've ever had either its just something that came at an opportune time for them to try to get positive press. Over time, the effects on the environment will stack and that's when the problems really start. You know the phrase "if you give them an inch, they'll take a mile?" It very much applies here where something that seems small can add up to something really big if people don't say anything about it.

Yeah but nah, navies across the world have been dumping far more toxic shit into our oceans than a few hundred keys of smack

http://www.tampabay.com/news/military/veterans/the-atomic-sailors/2157927

And, can I just point out that all of those pretty phones you like to upgrade every 6 months are doing an immense amount of ecological damage all along the supply chain; from digging up rare earth minerals in the Congo, to them being assembled by virtual slave labor in Vietnam, then being "recycled" back in Africa where the only thing standing between the dirt poor of Ghana and total starvation is to strip old phones down and melt out all of the toxic heavy metals used to manufacture it without any sort of environmental or safety consideration.

So, please, don't ever deign to question my commitment to protecting the environment - your farts stink as much as anyone else's.

You're reaching now. That phone sitting on the shelf at the store is going to be there whether I buy it or somebody else does. I don't dispute that they cause ecological damage but my footprint is pretty damn low compared to most people (I don't drive (nor do I take public transportation and I only get rides to doctor's appointments or other necessary evils), I don't smoke anymore, I don't read paper books, I don't print things, I don't leave lights on unnecessarily (hell I don't even use lights half the time, drives my roommate mad), I try not to waste as much as possible, I don't buy Apple products, etc) and by the time it is made, its destined to go to someone anyway. My phones all get recycled or go to someone else.

As to the heroin, its in the ocean. It originally wasn't going to be. And it wouldn't surprise me if some bags went along with it. It doesn't get more wasteful than that.

WTF? How could you possibly even begin to draw your bow that far?

300kg of smack is going to dilute very, very quickly out in the middle of the ocean - a lit cigarette in Australia could start the kind of raging inferno of the kind that regularly consumes both live and property.

The two don't even begin to be comparable.

I wonder what you propose the HMAS Melbourne was *supposed* to do with 300kgs of illegal and dangerous contraband - just leave it in storage for 6 months while it remains on active duty?

are you suggesting there arent better ways to dispose of said contraband, other than to dump it in the ocean?

bit, please. youre clutching at straws.

Clearly you DO think there are better ways of disposing of contraband at sea while deployed on a mission set to last months. So, what is it? What should have RAN done differently?

You're reaching now. That phone sitting on the shelf at the store is going to be there whether I buy it or somebody else does. I don't dispute that they cause ecological damage but my footprint is pretty damn low compared to most people (I don't drive (nor do I take public transportation and I only get rides to doctor's appointments or other necessary evils), I don't smoke anymore, I don't read paper books, I don't print things, I don't leave lights on unnecessarily (hell I don't even use lights half the time, drives my roommate mad), I try not to waste as much as possible, I don't buy Apple products, etc) and by the time it is made, its destined to go to someone anyway. My phones all get recycled or go to someone else.

As to the heroin, its in the ocean. It originally wasn't going to be. And it wouldn't surprise me if some bags went along with it. It doesn't get more wasteful than that.

Pretty sure phone manufacturers base their

Pretty sure phone manufacturers base their projections on demand, people like you are driving demand by upgrading every six months. Pretty sure that's infinitely worse than throwing a few hundred kilos into thousand of square kilometres of open ocean.

But, hey, why bother facing up to your impact on the planet when you can howl with outrage over minor matters and feeling smug about it?

Oh BTW you might want to do some research on where all those "recycled" phones end up, you might not feel quite so warm and fuzzy about your embrace of rampant consumerism.

Clearly you DO think there are better ways of disposing of contraband at sea while deployed on a mission set to last months. So, what is it? What should have RAN done differently?

similar methods in which LE deal with disposal of contraband substance in any given situation.

in one breath youre slamming those who throw cigarettes out their windows (due to being recently affected by bush fires and harm to your local environment); then suggesting that its perfectly fine for the australian navy to dispose of 353kgs of heroin into the ocean and it having no potential harm environmentally nor to its eco system?

biased much?