• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Australian Ice Thread

9114912-3x2-700x467.jpg

So big you could create jewellery out of them ;)

My favourite methamphetamine photo is from a National Geographic Drugs Inc. episode:

images

Last edited:
Yeah that's a pretty cool pic SJB. I dont know about handling it like that though, unless you are a frequent user, otherwise surely it's going to go into your pores and get you wasted? What do you think? A friend was telling me he handled I think he said 50 acid trips and later on he felt like he was tripping. I was sceptical but maybe some of it soaked into him via touch an effected him?

The other thing is it could well not even be meth. I've seen crystals that looked very similar to shard before that wasn't meth. It was some chemical for lowering the chlorine level in large pools. Like council pools. I might try find a pic of it.

Yeah that's a pretty cool pic SJB. I dont know about handling it like that though, unless you are a frequent user, otherwise surely it's going to go into your pores and get you wasted? What do you think? A friend was telling me he handled I think he said 50 acid trips and later on he felt like he was tripping. I was sceptical but maybe some of it soaked into him via touch an effected him?

The other thing is it could well not even be meth. I've seen crystals that looked very similar to shard before that wasn't meth. It was some chemical for lowering the chlorine level in large pools. Like council pools. I might try find a pic of it.

Even with LSD and things like super-potent fentanyl analogues, the general consensus is that it would be very unlikely that you could get intoxicated by absorption through your skin. If you had a cut on your skin, it might be possible, or maybe if you rubbed your eyes or picked your nose or something like that. Methamphetamine, however, is approximately two orders of magnitude less potent than LSD, so I don't think you would get intoxicated unless you were deliberately licking your fingers. However, you would probably get moisture and skin oils on the meth, so gloves would still be a good idea!

In the episode, they go to Mexico and talk with alleged traffickers, and that's where they got this photo from. Of course, there's no guarantee it wasn't someone pretending to be a Mexican meth dealer just to get on TV, but I think the most likely possibility is that it is in fact methamphetamine. Considering the scale they make the stuff on in Mexican labs, it wouldn't surprise me that they get crystals that large.

Yeah I agree with all of that.

Why can't they make crystals that are the size of say, our arm? Fat and long like that. Is there a size limit on meth crystals lol?

I think I've seen the episode before.

My first thought was that they were isopropylbenzylamine crystals but since it's NatGeo I doubt they'd be lying.

But he must have several grams just in dust on his hands after handling that :D

And you could make a massive crown jewel from one of those shards!

Why can't they make crystals that are the size of say, our arm? Fat and long like that. Is there a size limit on meth crystals lol?

It's probably possible. You would just need a big enough vessel, an extremely slow crystallization, and an atrocious amount of meth, haha.

Man accused of contaminating baby’s dummy with ice

A man is facing court today accused of contaminating a baby’s dummy with the drug ice.

A 24-year-old man was arrested in Albury, New South Wales, following a chase just before 9am yesterday after a four-month-old girl was found with the drug in her system.

“Police will allege that the ice was administered to the baby via a contaminated dummy,” Detective Acting Inspector Peter Owen told reporters today.

NSW Health referred the matter to police last week after the baby was admitted to Albury Base Hospital late last month suffering from the effects of the illicit drug.

Pathology tests later revealed amphetamines and methylamphetamine (ice) in her system.

“The baby was in a critical condition for a number of days,” Det. Insp Owen said.

“Following the baby’s release, the State Crime Command’s Child Abuse commenced investigations which yesterday led to the arrest.

“Unfortunately we have seen cases like this before. We have seen cases where children have been malnourished, have had encrypted drugs admitted to them – either recklessly or intentionally.”

The man was taken to Albury police station and charged with using poison to endanger life or inflict grievous harm.

He was refused bail to appear at Albury Local Court today.

https://www.9news.com.au/national/2...d-baby-dummy-with-drug-ice?ocid=Social-9NewsS

'Drug taxis' busted delivering ice to the front door of users

A 9NEWS investigation has busted a slew of drivers delivering ice and other illegal substances to the front door of customers in Queensland’s south-east.

Just 40 minutes after ordering an methamphetamine or “ice” through an online website, a silver ute arrived and offered an undercover 9NEWS crew the illicit substance.

“Yeah, I’m the ice-man,” the dealer boasts to the camera, before asking “cash bro?”

While the dealer waited for money, 9NEWS phoned the police. By the time authorities arrived at the scene in Brisbane, the man had fled.

In a separate incident, another ice dealer promised a drop-off in the CBD. However, once he had arrived he admitted there were no more drugs left.

“I was just going to re-load and you wanted some,” the dealer told 9NEWS’ Tim Arvier, offering to take the journalist to a nearby hotel.

Criminologist Terry Goldsworthy said modern apps make it hard for police to detect offences; with illicit substances easily available, more people may be tempted by the drug trade.

“I think it presents a real challenge to law enforcement due to the sheer scale of the activities taking place,” Mr Goldsworthy said.

Many dealers advertise illicit substances on popular shopping websites, before using encrypted mobile apps to communicate with customers.

Mr Goldsworthy said that authorities must work with the creators of the sites to combat crime.

“You go back to the owners of the app or the creators of the technology… and see if they're prepared to work with you,” he said.

Watch the full news bulletin on 9Now

https://www.9news.com.au/national/2...-to-the-front-door-of-users?ocid=social-9News

Mum, dad, son spend $55,000 on drugs in five monthsMum, dad, son spend $55,000 on drugs in five months

A KYOGLE mother and her 23-year-old son have told a Lismore court how their spiralling ice addiction saw them and a third person blow an estimated $55,000 on the destructive drug in five months.

Nicola New, 44, and son Richard John Matthews are facing sentencing in Lismore District Court for supply of more than 140g of methamphetamine, and other charges.

Between May and September last year police intercepted phone calls and texts implicating the mother and son alongside Matthews' father Thomas John Kedwell, aka John Matthews, in the purchase of shipments of the drug from Queensland.

Both have pleaded guilty: New to the supply of 141g and Matthews to the supply of 176g.

But during the sentencing hearing yesterday the pair gave evidence that most of the drugs were for personal use.

New, a mother of three, told the court how she had tried the drug occasionally "at parties" but her habit ramped up following a personal tragedy.

By early 2016 the trio were arranging cross-border purchases of between 1.5g and 28g at a time to satiate the habit. Most was used "between the three of us", New told the court.

Matthews said he first tried ice when he was 18 and within a year was using daily. His father condoned and even made drugs "available" once Matthews started down the path.

"Looking back on it, just looking at what it's done to my family, it's been (incredibly) destructive," he said.

The trio were arrested in early September and New and Matthews spent some two months in prison before being released on bail.

Both mother and son had ceased their drug use entirely since their spell in custody and had good prospects for rehabilitation, the court heard.

Matthews, who has a newborn daughter, told Judge Wells he "simply didn't have time to relapse".

Judge Wells has adjourned the final sentencing until today.

https://www.northernstar.com.au/new...ion-cost-trio-55000-in-five-m/3265310/?ref=hs

Police ‘found 1kg of meth’ after BMW rammed cars

11292c02a514e1ca612a9f33c452880d

TWO men have been charged with drug offences after interstate raids allegedly uncovered a cache of methylamphetamine and police cars were rammed by a luxury car in Sydney’s northwest.

The BMW rammed cars with detectives from the NSW Police Middle Eastern Organised Crime Squad (MEOCS) when they tried to pull it over in Dundas on Monday afternoon, police said.

6c6bac84ab1c2a57a800a7c7432948f3

A 49-year-old Queensland man was charged with a large commercial drug supply after officers allegedly found one kilogram of meth in the car. Shortly after MEOCS raided a home in Greenacre and charged a 34-year-old man who is alleged to have had supplied the Queensland man with the meth earlier in day. Both men will face court today.

The cross-state investigation by MEOCS detectives and Queensland’s organised crime squad also led to the arrest of two men in Queensland.

52d0ab4baf44bff8c668e3bc7f19b6b0

At the same time in Queensland, Major and Organised Crime Squad investigators executed search warrants at a home at Acacia Ridge and an automotive repair business at Sunnybank Hills, where they seized 285g of ice, and documentation.

Two further people were arrested by investigators during the Queensland warrants.

MEOCS Commander, Detective Superintendent Peter McErlain, said collaborative law enforcement investigations are key to targeting organised criminal activity in Australia.

“NSW Police Force has strong relationships with our law enforcement partners both here in Australia and abroad, which allows us to track criminal networks across borders,” Det Supt McErlain said.

“By sharing information and working together, we can better understand how illicit businesses are connected, and ensure we intercept their illegal trades and cut deep into their profits.”

Source:https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/n...s/news-story/301221558b721813066275ac5b1d3792

Sydney drug bust: Police, DEA smash transnational syndicate

THREE men have been charged following a joint-agency investigation into alleged conspiracies to import more than $250 million of illicit drugs into Australia.

Strike force detectives, with the assistance of the Tactical Operation Unit, arrested two men at a warehouse at Alexandria, just before 11am yesterday.

A short time later, a third man was arrested outside a home at Coogee.

8c2d8a5e80005f9283e0bd24879e62b7

A 37-year-old Coogee man was charged with two counts of import a commercial quantity of a border controlled drug, and direct activities of criminal organisation.

The 60-year-old Strathfield man and a 64-year-old Lilyfield man were also charged with conspiracy to import a commercial quantity of a border controlled drug.

dcbb1ee361b2557ba065dda1ac37a010

All men have been refused bail to appear at Waverley, Central, and Newtown Local Courts respectively later today.

The maximum penalty for import a commercial quantity of border controlled drugs is life imprisonment.

Following the arrests, strike force investigators executed five search warrants at Coogee, Lilyfield, Regents Park, Strathfield, and Zetland, where they seized more than $500,000 cash, ice, mobile phones, and items relevant to the investigation.

A 24-year-old woman was arrested at the Zetland property and charged with deal with property proceeds of crime.

She was granted strict conditional bail to appear at Downing Centre Local Court in January 2018.

ed3c2f5818729bdd20065fbb4671017f

Investigators working closely with the Australian Criminal Intelligence Commission (ACIC) and the Australian Federal Police, intercepted 313kg of methylamphetamine (ice) in Panama on 26 October 2017.

This was the largest single-seizure of ‘ice’ in Panamanian history.

Police will allege in court the drugs, which have an estimated potential street value of $133 million, were destined for Australia.

Further investigation revealed an alleged conspiracy to import 300kg of cocaine, which has an estimated potential street value of $120 million, from South America to Sydney.

1cac847fb340a59daa4485e9541bb5dd

“Over the past 12 months, NSW Police Force — in partnership and co-operation with local and international law enforcement and intelligence agencies — has uncovered some sophisticated attempts to bring narcotics through our borders and onto the streets of Sydney,” Det Ch Supt Smith said.

“Our joint investigations have ensured these attempts were only attempts; tonnes of these harmful substances have been seized and countless members of criminal syndicates arrested and put before the courts.

“International co-operation in law enforcement and intelligence is not new, but our relationships are stronger than ever, allowing us to reach across the globe to target any crime that may impact on the people of NSW,” Det Ch Supt Smith said.

Source: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/n...e/news-story/cc04fae453cc7f76af43d45dc72bd337

Joshua Johnson stole $65,000 worth of diamonds, traded them for ice and $1500 cash

A man who stole $65,000 worth of diamond rings from a Newcastle jeweller, and then traded it in for methylamphetamine and $1500 cash has been jailed for a maximum of two years.

Joshua Johnson, 25, pleaded guilty to nine charges at Newcastle Local Court, including larceny greater than $15,000, disposing of stolen property, intimidation, armed with intent, stealing and contravening an apprehended violence order.

1512439089993.jpg

Johnson walked into the Michael Hill store at Charlestown Square about 1.25pm on September 24 and started looking in a display cabinet near the entry that contained diamond rings valued at $5000 each, according to a statement of police facts.

Police said that while the three sales staff members were busy, Johnson reached over the display counter into the cabinet and removed two trays containing 32 diamond rings.

Johnson then ran out of the store and through a car park, according to a statement of police facts.

The entire incident was captured on CCTV footage and several witnesses saw a man running through the shopping centre, police say.

Police were called and lifted fingerprints from the counter that matched Johnson.

Staff at Michael Hill performed a stock take and found that the rings stolen were valued at $65,270.

But when he was arrested, Johnson would tell police that he traded the rings in for only a quantity of methylamphetamine and $1500 in cash.

He said he was in the store for about 15 minutes and wasn't being served when he noticed the cabinet containing the rings was unlocked.

He reached over the counter and removed the trays, which he said contained diamond rings valued at a total of more than $100,000.

He then sold the rings for methylamphetamine and $1500 in cash, the transaction brokered by a friend, who he refused to tell police any details about.

"[Johnson] advised he had been informed that the rings were going to be melted down and, as such, police would not be able to recover any of them," according to a statement of police facts.

Johnson, who was refused bail after his arrest in October, was jailed for a maximum of two years, with a non-parole period of 16 months on Monday.

Magistrate Ian Cheetham ordered he be eligible for release from custody on February 12, 2019.

Source: http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/joshua-jo...em-for-ice-and-1500-cash-20171205-gzyxjy.html

Two men jailed for 24 and 26 years for beating and shooting a mother of two and disposing of body in mineshaft

Brendan Neil subjected his girlfriend Simone Quinlan to a deadly beating in front of friends to punish her for "snitching", after she made a family violence report to police.

The mother of two was viciously kicked, punched and tormented at Neil's Melton home in Melbourne, in August 2015.

The killer and his friends all took ice, and Wayne Marmo sawed off the barrel of a point 22 rifle as the group watched Neil unleash the savage bashing.

http%3A%2F%2Fprod.static9.net.au%2F_%2Fmedia%2FNetwork%2FHome%2FStreams%2F2016%2F08%2F15%2F18%2F06%2F1508_quinlan_env_sp.jpg

Once it appeared Quinlan was dead or dying she was wrapped in a sheet and placed in the tray of Marmo's utility.

Wayne Marmo said to Brendan Neil "he's got to get rid of her, if she's snitched before imagine what she'd do now if he took her to hospital" Justice Jane Dixon recounted in sentencing.

Marmo was described as a "loyal friend" who fired five shots into Quinlan's head as she lay lifeless in the back of his ute.

The 26-year-old dumped Simone's body down a mineshaft in Kangaroo Flat and set it alight.

The judge was critical, telling Marmo: "You were prepared to involve yourself in a murder because of this loyalty."

Marmo washed and torched the vehicle, while Neil sanded his floorboards to remove any blood stains.

Neil contacted Quinlan's family to say the couple had split, in an attempt to avoid any suspicion over the 33-year-old's disappearance.

The court heard in the days leading up to the killing Neil had hit his girlfriend of four months over the head with a baseball bat.

He later convinced Quinlan to withdraw her family violence complaint with police.

http%3A%2F%2Fprod.static9.net.au%2F_%2Fmedia%2FNetwork%2FHome%2FStreams%2F2017%2F12%2F14%2F13%2F48%2F141217_quinlan_env_a%2FMarmo.PNG

Both Neil and Marmo were undergoing community corrections orders at the time of the murder and both men have a history of family violence offending.

Neil pleaded guilty to murder and was sentenced to 26 years behind bars, while Marmo was jailed for 24.

Quinlan's family and friends all wore red in court today to show their support for her.

Mother Lynda said while the sentences would "never be enough", it was what the pair deserved.

"It is better than some of the outcomes I've seen in recent times," Dad Wayne told reporters.

"At the end of the day we've now got a result, something we can look back on and we move forward from that.

"I don't think I or my wife will ever lose the hatred of what they've done because we now have to live with that and our families have to live with that."

The couple said Quinlan's children were still struggling, but had the support of family and friends and were doing the best they could.

Quinlan's brother Troy said it was nice to see justice done against repeat offenders.

"Hopefully this will put a lot more people in the future on notice," he said.

Source: https://www.9news.com.au/national/2...ed-girlfriend-for-reporting-domestic-violence

Skaf gang rapist Mohamed Ghanem charged in drug sting despite being on parole

ONE of the men involved in the notorious Skaf gang rapists was out on parole when he was allegedly caught trying to sell one kilogram of ice this week.

And now serious questions are being asked as to why he was out on parole — and why the authorities had removed his electronic monitoring bracelet.

When Mohamed Ghanem was 17 years old, he acted as the “enthusiastic lieutenant” to the abhorrent rapist gang’s ringleader Bilal Skaf in 2000.

After spending 14 years behind bars for the sexual assault of two women in a Greenacre park, Ghanem, now 34, was released in December 2015.

93762b16e48f6712549865d936ca3210

His release was delayed because parole authorities formed the view Ghanem, who only knew adult life behind bars, should be slowly reintegrated into the community through prison release programs.

He also posed a medium-to-high risk of reoffending, the Court of Criminal Appeal heard in 2014.

Despite parole conditions banning him from having contact with “organised crime networks”, police allege Ghanem managed to get his hands on one kilogram of ice to sell in a lucrative drug deal in Greenacre.

The Middle Eastern Organised Crime Squad allegedly caught him selling the drugs to a man at the Bankstown Motel 10 on the Hume Highway on Monday afternoon.

When police caught up with Ghanem’s alleged buyer — Queensland businessman Hussein Sarhan — he tried to flee but ended up smashing into several unmarked police cars in Dundas.

Both Sarhan and Ghanem are facing charges of large commercial drug supply.

Corrective Services NSW confirmed Ghanem’s parole for the gang rapes had since been revoked.

Shadow Minister for Corrections Guy Zangari said the revelations raised serious questions about the level of monitoring on Ghanem.

“This is of major concern that someone who is a high risk sex offender is let out on parole and able to allegedly commit this offence,” he said.

“Who is monitoring this guy? Is the system really working?”

Almost two decades ago, Ghanem, who had his electronic monitoring bracelet removed last year, was one of several men involved in the brutal sexual assault of two young women in Greenacre.

One women was crash-tackled, thrown in a bush, held against her will and raped.

The other was dragged to a toilet block and forced to perform oral sex.

Several men were eventually convicted for the assaults of at least seven young women over four weeks in 2000, a series of crimes that terrified Sydney women.

Ghanem was sentenced to 17 years behind bars, with a non-parole period of 12 years, for his role in the Greenacre attacks.

His electronic monitoring was removed last year due to “due to compliance with his case management, reporting obligations and low risk of sexual reoffending”, a Corrective Services NSW spokeswoman said.

Source: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/n...e/news-story/0f0c4abd1b6b1453016abb21a99873dd

Australia’s biggest drug bust: Billion dollar meth haul

A BOAT in Western Australia has played host to Australia’s biggest drug haul.

Eight men have been charged over the $1.04 billion drug bust involving a boat in Geraldton on Thursday and face life in jail if they convicted of drug importation.

The massive drug bust tops a 903kg seizure in Melbourne earlier this year in which the drug was found packed inside the hollowed out floorboards of a sea container.

The joint Western Australian and Federal police operation culminated in a pre-dawn raid on the 16m vessel early yesterday, and the arrest of at least six people. All have all faced the Geraldton Magistrate’s Court charged with possessing a commercial quantity of a border controlled drug.

14904cacc46cee1057d3cae566276beb

5e3fec8ecac20df258e77620e0e38f66

It is understood the drug haul could have fetched more than $1 billion if it had been allowed to hit Australian streets.

Police allege a vessel called Valkoista arrived in Geraldton, in WA’s Mid West region, about 2am on Thursday and the drugs were then offloaded into a white van just before 4am.

Officers intercepted the van as it reversed from the dock, allegedly finding 59 bags containing about 20kg of methamphetamine.

36b5fae2caa26117ec51a80f6d931fc2

0c964316be053ef31a429bf6a3036d5c

Police arrested the three people inside, including a 33-year-old man from southern Sydney and two other men from NSW, aged 38 and 52.

Officers also boarded Valkoista and arrested three crewmen including a 45-year- old man from the NSW Central Coast and two men from South Australia, aged 48 and 44.

A bag containing about 20kg of methamphetamine was found on the vessel. Police believe the drugs originated from China and were destined for the east coast.

A further 20 search warrants were conducted at residential properties in Sydney, the NSW Central Coast and Adelaide.

Two men from South Australia, both aged 37, were later arrested at a Perth hotel.

Charges include importing a commercial quantity of a border controlled drug, and possessing a commercial quantity of a border controlled drug reasonably suspected of having been unlawfully imported.

Details of the case were only revealed today after a suppression order which prevented publication of any details surrounding the case was lifted.

The order allowed police to conduct further raids and arrests, including today’s in Perth.

The bust was the culmination of a six-month, multi-agency investigation.

Source: http://www.news.com.au/national/cri...l/news-story/0e0ea75ef788908c4a88223fd33046a0

I know I’m not from Australia but I was born to a woman who did all sorts of drugs and alcohol while she was pregnant with me and I may not be very smart and I sometimes act like a child I am glad she had me because if she didn’t I wouldn’t have the awesome family that I do