• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Australian Ice Thread

Victoria pledges another $57.6m to tackle ice problem

The Victorian Government has announced the second stage of its multi-million dollar ice package, which will see the drug court system expanded and training rolled out to frontline workers.

Key points:

Attorney-General says current system "isn't working"
Mental health facility to be set up in the Grampians for Ballarat community
Announcement follows $45 million pledged last year
The centrepiece of the $57.6 million package is a new drug court, based at the Melbourne Magistrates' Court, which will allow an additional 170 drug offenders to receive targeted support for their drug use.

It follows the success of a drug court in Dandenong and will provide extra rehabilitation beds and better services for Aboriginal Victorians.

The new funding follows $45 million pledged by the Government to tackle the drug last year.

Attorney-General Martin Pakula said the current system for dealing with drug users and offences is not working.

"The lack of effective sentencing options for serious drug-related offences has resulted in increased imprisonment rates, increased re-offending and a failure to address the underlying causes of addiction," he said.

"The drug court model is a sound and effective solution that gives offenders a better opportunity to turn their lives around."

Drug courts showing 'positive results'

Mental Health Minister Martin Foley said the new drug court system had shown positive results.

"What it does is place the interest of recovery above the interests of punishment," he said.

"It's had remarkable success and we intend to roll that model out around Victoria.

Ice action plan:

$32 million to expand the Drug Court of Victoria
$5.5 million for training and support for frontline workers
$6 million for Grampians mental health facility
$10 million to improve mental health, alcohol and other drug facilities
$4 million over four years to respond to ice in Aboriginal communities
"The support then leads to better outcomes as people both get their lives back together, get off the drugs and end their crime careers."

The package also includes $5.5 million for further training and support for frontline workers, and $10 million to improve mental health, alcohol and other drug facilities to improve patient outcomes.

An 18-20 bed mental health facility will also be established in the Grampians to serve the Ballarat community, at a cost of $6 million.

Health Minister Jill Hennessy said the training package will give skills and support to those working with ice users.

"If frontline workers are safer at work, they can do their job and save more lives," she said.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-04-16/victoria-announces-another-57.6-million-to-tackle-ice/7332032

Bags of methylamphetamine

Police found more than a million dollars worth of the drug ice in the bonnet of the car, next to the engine.

7376722-3x2-940x627.jpg

^^

Man caught with $1m worth of ice in car bonnet refused bail

A 53-year-old Sydney man caught driving to Brisbane with more than $1 million worth of the drug ice has been refused bail in the Coffs Harbour Local Court.

Hoang Son Nguyen, from the south-western suburb of Cabramatta, and his 43-year-old male passenger came to the attention of police while stopped on the Pacific Highway just south of the Coffs Harbour CBD at about 3am on Sunday.

Police have not revealed why they stopped the car.

They say the men told them they were on their way to a wedding in Brisbane.

Coffs-Clarence crime manager Darren Jamieson said the bulk of the drugs were discovered in the car's engine space.

"Detectives located a meth pipe, cash and a small quantity of methylamphetamine in the car," Mr Jamieson said.

"They conducted a search and located the kilo of crystal ice secreted in the engine bay.

"That ice has a street value of well over $1 million."

The car was seized for forensic testing and Nguyen was charged with drug supply, possession of a large commercial quantity of a prohibited drug, and carrying suspected proceeds of crime.

The man he was travelling with has been questioned by police but has not been charged.

Magistrate Jeffrey Linden refused Nguyen bail and adjourned the case to June.

Mr Jamieson said a new crime prevention strategy had seen police target vehicles travelling along the Pacific Highway.

"It's part of a wider strategy, looking at the transporting and carrying of illegal items or involving criminal offences," he said.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-05-02/man-caught-with-more-than-1m-worth-of-ice-refused-bail/7376716

Townsville drug kingpin appeals against 11 year jail sentence for trafficking

Lawyers for a Townsville man convicted of heading a north Queensland drug syndicate have lodged an appeal against his sentence.

Peter Andrew Heilbronn, 41, was jailed for 11 years after being found guilty of several charges, including drug trafficking and possessing dangerous drugs.

His trial in the Supreme Court earlier this year heard the former restaurateur was involved in at least seven cannabis supply deals between the Gold and Sunshine coasts and Townsville in 2011.

During the trial, police said Heilbronn had one man take $1 million worth of methamphetamine from Brisbane to Townsville in a plastic bucket.

Heilbronn's lawyers are appealing against the conviction and sentence.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-05-06/townsville-man-appeals-against-drug-ring-jail-sentence/7389664

It's pretty rediculous how often they mention a kilo of "Ice" is worth a million dollars. It may cost that much if you buy point for point from a dude who's up charging your ass dirty ( I'm in USA but I understand the higher prices in Australia) . Idk it seems like a tactic used by police to make it seem like they are doing something. And the media to continue the ice scare frenzy , a frenzy they are struggling to keep going on with.

Yeah they do it with weed too, insane price marks ups. They probably do it with coke and heroin as well.

I guess it makes the average idiot who knows jack shit about drugs think they are making huge busts and getting somewhere.. But of course they arent. There's never a shortage of drugs here if you know the right people.

actually, taken that "$1m worth of ice" of the street only increases the value of the remaining ice by fractions of a percent.

Three men charged after 42kg of drug ice found in steel rollers

NSFW:
7409370-3x2-940x627.jpg

7409404-3x2-940x627.jpg

Two Taiwanese nationals and a Brisbane man have been charged with importing approximately 42 kilograms of the drug ice, which was found inside two large steel rollers on a sea consignment.

The three men were arrested after raids in Sydney and Brisbane on Wednesday afternoon, a statement from the Australian Federal Police (AFP) said.

Wei Lun Lu, 28, and Chun Yuan Huang, 38, were arrested in Hurstville and charged with importing a commercial quantity of methamphetamine.

Both made a brief appearance at Sydney Central Local Court. They did not apply for bail and it was formally refused.

Prosecutors asked for an adjournment to allow for further forensic investigations and for telephone intercepts to be translated. The matter will return to the court on August 3.

A 37-year-old man from Sunnybank, in Brisbane, was arrested and charged with importing a commercial quantity of methamphetamine and is due to appear in court later.

Satisfying to know 420,000 street deals disrupted: AFP

The AFP statement said the Australian Border Force (ABF) were also involved in the operation.

AFP Commander Paul Osborne said the interception of the drug and the charging of the men was a clear win in the fight against illicit drugs.

"It is particularly satisfying to know that at least 420,000 street deals of methamphetamine won't be available in our communities as a result of this hard work."

NSW ABF Regional Commander Tim Fitzgerald said this detection demonstrated the value in using intelligence to identify and target high-risk sea cargo.

"The ABF works closely with our domestic and international law enforcement partners, including the AFP, to share intelligence and target criminal activity at the border," Commander Fitzgerald said.

The maximum penalty for these offences is life imprisonment.

Investigations into the matter are continuing.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-05-12/three-charged-over-42-kilograms-of-drug-ice/7409210

Major drug ring responsible for dealing ice in northern Victoria cracked, police say

A major drug ring responsible for dealing ice in northern Victoria has been cracked, police say.

Eight people were arrested on Wednesday morning after police seized drugs, including 230 grams of ice, along with cash, and stolen goods from homes across the region.

Officers searched 13 homes in Shepparton, Mooroopna, Echuca, Kyabram, Tatura, and at South Morang in Melbourne's outer north-east.

A quantity of stolen goods was also uncovered, including 13 motorbikes, computers, a tandem trailer, and tools.

Five men and one woman from Shepparton between the ages of 22 and 47 were arrested and are assisting police.

Another two men, from Mooroopna and Kyabram, were also arrested.

Police said the drug ring had links to illegal trafficking in New South Wales and the arrests came after an eight-month investigation.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-05-...acked-in-northern-victoria-police-say/7406156

Two men charged and 2kg of crystal meth seized

Two men have been charged following a joint investigation into the importation of two kilograms of crystal methamphetamine (ice) through the international air cargo stream.

Joint Taskforce Icarus officers – including the Australian Federal Police (AFP), Australian Border Force (ABF) and Victoria Police – concluded the investigation after the initial detection by ABF air cargo operations at Melbourne Airport on Thursday, 28 April 2016.

On Friday 6 May, AFP and Victoria Police arrested a 23-year-old Taiwanese national and a 22-year-old Chinese national.
Both have been charged with:

• one count of importing a commercial quantity of border controlled drug, namely crystal methamphetamine, contrary to section 307.1 of the Criminal Code Act 1995 (Cth), and
• one count of attempt to possess a commercial quantity of methamphetamine, contrary to section 307.5 and 11.1 of the Criminal Code Act 1995 (Cth).

The maximum penalty for those convicted of importing a commercial quantity of border controlled drug is life imprisonment.

Both men are due to appear before the Melbourne Magistrates’ Court today (Wednesday, 11 May).

Joint Taskforce Icarus targets those who seek to use the international mail stream and air cargo systems for criminal activity.

http://newsroom.border.gov.au/releases/two-men-charged-and-2kg-of-crystal-meth-seized

It's pretty rediculous how often they mention a kilo of "Ice" is worth a million dollars. It may cost that much if you buy point for point from a dude who's up charging your ass dirty ( I'm in USA but I understand the higher prices in Australia) . Idk it seems like a tactic used by police to make it seem like they are doing something. And the media to continue the ice scare frenzy , a frenzy they are struggling to keep going on with.

The cops and their LE sycophants always exaggerate to the max in Australian busts .... guess it sounds good in court , and makes them look good . And yes , they calculate the value on a $ per point basis , which gives totally unrealistic values .
One cannot take these numbers at all seriously....

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/he...s|1|link|homepage|homepage&itmt=1463284986335

Into the vortex: Luke Williams’ spiral into ice-induced psychosis

LUKE Williams is a freelance journalist and former drug addict who was researching addiction to crystal meth, when the worst possible thing happened — he became addicted to it himself.

This is an edited extract from his book The Ice Age, published with permission, about his descent into psychosis.

A FEW years back, I met a 60-year-old guy named Bernard; he was smoking crystal meth in a public area in a gay sauna. I was between addictions, and so I didn’t join in — I just listened.

Bernard was a very skinny, extremely well spoken, former private-school teacher. He was, first and foremost, polite and dignified. He talked in a kind of pure poetry, with just the right amount of detail, poise, and rhythm. He was old-fashioned, genteel; it was almost as if I had met the ghost of Patrick White.

As he smoked more meth, though, he began to resemble Mr Burns from The Simpsons, especially the episode in which Mr Burns is found in the woods and mistaken for an alien.

His voice became higher-pitched as he told me: “I had a good job, I was on a very good salary, I had a nice house, and I was very well-respected in the community. Then I met Crystal, and she wrapped her sweet, toxic tentacles around my heart and never let go.”

As the night wore on, he explained to me that when he smoked crystal meth, he could sit for hours on end with his eyes shut, imagining himself climbing mountains and surviving snow avalanches, or going on heroic journeys through deep tropical jungles.

“Once, I sat there for three straight days and explored these caves until I found the ruins of an ancient underground kingdom with huge castles and pyramids. When Crystal ran out of her love, I went and got more so I could continue with the adventure.”

This would often continue for up to 18 hours at a time. After years of going on these adventures, Bernard woke up to find he no longer had his job, or his salary, or his house — all of which, in turn, led him to smoke more meth.

Jack Nagle was a tall blond basketball-mad 19-year-old living in Melbourne’s southeast suburbs when he decided it was time to broaden his horizons.

“I wanted to get out in the world, start mixing with people who weren’t from my high school,” he told me. “I guess there wasn’t really anything missing in my life, I just wanted to try new stuff, meet new girls, that kind of thing.”

Along the way, Jack stumbled across crystal meth. Curious — having already dabbled in other amphetamines — he smoked a bit, and then a little bit more, and then the next weekend, and the one after that, and then during the week, until he was lost in a fog of thoughts, ideas, and theories.

At one stage, he went on a 10-day binge, where he smoked more than $7500 worth of meth and was consumed by fantasies, starting with the recurring belief that he was at the airport waiting to get on a plane to Thailand, when he was, in fact, in his bedroom.

He told me that after a while, “I became convinced it was all part of a TV show plot, and that my life was a TV show, and I was being filmed all the time.

“Like The Truman Show?” I asked.

“Yes” Jack replied “exactly like The Truman Show,” and he went on to relate how he had once confronted a girl (who had rejected him) about her role on this TV show — she, quite naturally, freaked out.

“Eventually I started kind of performing for the camera,” he explained. “So one day I got home after a day of smoking, believing that the cameras were on me, and I thought to myself what a boring day it had been, and that the viewers probably would have been really annoyed with me. So I stood up in my lounge room and broke out in this mad dance for 15 minutes just so the audience would be entertained.”

One winter evening in Perth, in 2014, Cassy McDonald took an intravenous shot of crystal meth in her suburban home and, almost immediately afterwards, heard her phone ringing.

“For some reason, I felt really desperate to answer it, like it was some kind of emergency,” she said.

“I had this feeling it was my mum calling to tell me something really important.”

Having decided that the phone must be somewhere in her car, she went out to the car, which was sitting unlocked in her driveway, and began to search.

“All I remember was fear; I was terrified, I locked all the doors and refused to get out, and ripped open all my dashboard and seats looking for the phone. It seemed like I was only in there a few hours, but I was in there for two whole days. I only came out when my partner’s sister pulled up with my son.”

After a long conversation with her sister-in-law, Cassy realised that not only had she been in the car for almost 48 hours, but also that she didn’t even own a mobile phone. Cassy had been experiencing a drug-induced psychosis, and in fact, as a former dealer, she has seen more than her fair share of people having psychotic episodes.

“There was one girl who came over and started plucking out all her eyebrow hairs. At first her eyebrows looked pretty good, but she just couldn’t stop. When she had not a single eyebrow hair left, she started on her hairline.”

I put these three stories together to begin to illustrate the link between crystal meth and what we might call, at its simplest, imagination. In broad terms, this refers to the ability to form new images and sensations in the mind that are not perceived through the five senses.

What Bernard, Jack, and Cassy describe is neither a daydream, nor mild paranoia — instead, these experiences are all encompassing and self-generating, and produce complicated narratives and/or visions within a state that often blends, and then sometimes confuses, metaphor for reality.

I call this state the Vortex: powerful, self-perpetuating, highly graphic, highly detailed, highly imaginative, rolling-stream images and ideas that flow in your mind whether you like it or not.

They can be used for creative purposes; alternatively, one can get stuck in the “movie”, or fall into error, thereby taking them literally and entering what modern medicine would describe as a psychotic break.

The Vortex can be an irresistible force, often offering a visual narrative that is far more exciting than the here and now, and sometimes far more exciting than what some users will otherwise do in their entire lives. When I met Bernard, I hadn’t experienced the Vortex but I had experienced psychosis in the form of delusion.

In my experience, the Vortex — at least in the early days of my crystal meth use and abuse — followed the “up” of crystal meth use, the “Fantasia”; it usually occurred when I was alone. The images and ideas are far more vivid than Fantasia, so vivid that you almost can’t do anything other than experience them. They don’t just float in the background like they do in Fantasia, and they are often hard to articulate, especially during the experience.

The Vortex is a highly individualised and usually compulsive experience; fantasies rage through your head without the slightest bit of effort — but often these fantasies are not about yourself, your fears, or your desires, although they can be.

There is often a waking, lucid-dream-like feeling to the Vortex, and not long after moving into my mate Smithy’s house, I entered this strange new world.

On one of the first nights at Smithy’s during which I took crystal meth, I remember he was entertaining three guests in his bedroom. He had music playing loudly, and I could hear them talking over the top of it.

I had the lamp on, and I was typing away at old notes from my rehab days, trying to pull together an article. I was typing away effortlessly, rhythmically, quickly, and without judgment. Soon there were 1000 words on the screen, then 2000, and then, as two hours passed in a few heartbeats, I had 4000 words written.

I had a break to make a cup of tea. As I was standing in the kitchen, leaning against the bench, I started seeing very vivid images of people I had once met at mardi gras. They were living in an alternate dimension that looked like rural Queensland centuries ago.

A few minutes later and I had written up these images as best as I could, but I was struggling to keep up with them as they joined together, becoming more like a movie.

As the night passed, I would either be trying to write these images down, though often struggling to articulate the detail, or I would become so enraptured with them that I would just stop and sit on the couch to enjoy the show.

People would appear in elaborate, original costumes; the valley and surrounds created themselves, conversations began, and plots thickened.

This was my first experience of the Vortex, and I loved it. When I started to become conscious of what was happening, though, I got into a bit of a panic. I began to see this process as a kind of creative ecstasy that could yield very positive results; but then it seemed that the more I willed it, the more I wanted it, the more I brought my ego into it, the less vivid and self-generating it became.

To return to the night in question, though — at around four in the morning, I became aware that Smithy’s guests had left. This occurred to me because Smithy was hovering around me, pinching his crotch. He was hovering like ... let’s say, a cat that had just swallowed a bird, or a kid about to ask their parents for money.

Smithy had a tendency to mumble when he was on crystal meth, though it was nonetheless clear to me that he, too, was having wildly vivid fantasies of his own.

At this early stage of me living in the house, though, he seemed hesitant to give away the detail of his visions; it was almost as if he were giving me bits and pieces of what he was thinking to either get me to fill in the gaps or to get me interested.

Eventually, these hyper-sexed images of his broke into my already dwindling creative stream, and in turn started another self-perpetuating, perhaps even clearer, image stream that I struggled to switch off — a rolling movie of crazy, hot, sex.

The Vortex, it seemed, had grown a libido, and the images even had a Fantasia-like quality, featuring me performing as a sexual champion with various lost and unrequited lovers.

After a short time, I moved into my bedroom and started masturbating to this self-generating porn that seemed as if it had been made just for me, with all the people I liked best, performing the most erotic acts I could imagine.

I found these images totally captivating, “even better than the real thing”. In the “real thing”, people weren’t at my beck and call; the actual world, with its limited opportunities, rules, and actual other human beings was always going to run a distant second place to a magical alternate reality where I was the star and nearly anything — and everything — was possible.

So there I was under the blanket; the light was on, and I was pulling and pulling, and I didn’t want these movies to stop, and I kept pulling, but I couldn’t seem to ejaculate. So I kept going, and then I saw, from under the plastic blind in my tiny bedroom with nothing in it but my bed, that it was starting to get light outside.

I remember thinking that it must have been at least an hour that I had been masturbating because it had become day. No matter how hard I tried, though, I couldn’t ejaculate. The “movies” just kept getting better, and I couldn’t stop watching them: for one thing, it felt as if I wasn’t actually in control of them or of anything I was doing. And, naturally, I was also enjoying being there.

I think it’s fairly well recognised that sexual fantasy can express more than just sexual desire, and that the things we fantasise about are not necessarily those we want to do in real life. But I found the sexual fantasies I experienced in the Vortex to be especially morally complicated; they presented me simultaneously as who I wanted to be, and who I would never, ever want to be.

And yet the more unpleasant and unclean the fantasies became, the more exciting they seemed. When I finally finished, I pulled the blanket off myself; my hair and face were as wet as if I’d just got out of the shower, and it seemed as if the daylight had been part of the Vortex: it was clearly still dark outside.

So I got up and walked into the kitchen, where Smithy looked at me in surprise.

“Where have you been?” he said. “What time is it?” I asked.

“It’s about 8.45.”

“8.45 at night?”

“Yep — where you have been all day?”

“All day?”

“Yep, you were gone for ages,” Smithy said.

“What day is it?”

“It’s Sunday night. Have you been in that bedroom all day?” Smithy asked.

Yes, I had. I had been masturbating for sixteen hours non-stop, and it felt as if I had been in there for less than an hour.

Twenty years ago, Rebecca McKetin did a PhD on whether repeated amphetamine use could cause psychosis in lab rats.

At the time, this was considered a fringe topic in Australia. Today, McKetin is an internationally renowned expert on the links between crystal meth use and psychotic meltdowns.

In her long-term study, McKetin found that methamphetamine users are five times more likely to show symptoms of psychosis than non-users.

The study also showed that the greater the dose, the greater the risk of psychosis. The risk of psychosis also increased with the severity of dependence, and dependent methamphetamine users were a particularly high-risk group for psychosis even after adjusting for a history of schizophrenia and other psychotic disorders.

The study also found that other factors often associated with regular meth use, such as lack of sleep, a history of trauma, and the concurrent use of alcohol and cannabis, also increased the odds of psychosis.

After that first weekend in the Vortex at Smithy’s, I was determined to make the most of these self-generating images. I thought the best way to handle this was to use in low doses, sit myself down at a computer as soon as I had a dose, and concentrate on putting energy into creative ideas.

Poetry, songs, more ideas for novels followed.

Songs? Yes — while my dad is a musician, and I used to sing as a young teenager, I have never played an instrument, played in a band, or done anything remotely musical as an adult. Yet here I was, writing and performing songs — even if they weren’t exactly worth listening to.

What happened next is evidence of my increasingly delusional state.

One of the reasons I began writing music was that I had met some professional musicians when I was in Sydney who were exceptionally kind and who had invited me to a few events. During a conversation with one of them — a well-known performer from London — at an after-party, he told me that I had a made a “boring choice” to become a lawyer when I obviously enjoyed doing creative things, and he asked me if I ever felt like writing music.

When I was high on crystal meth, I would daydream about these events, and eventually decided that these musicians had deliberately sought me out because they believed me to be an extraordinary talent who could be a professional musician, and that they had started me on something called “The Journey”.

I even believed that, at times, the performer from London was sending me lyrics for songs via telepathy.

At other times, these delusions would darken, and I believed that they had invited me to the events in order to pretend that they wanted me to become a professional musician, so I would make a fool of myself on stage, and they would get revenge on me for a long list of other nasty things I had, in turn, done to other people throughout my life.

One day I started having invasive thoughts about things people had said on Facebook that I didn’t understand. The more I thought about these references, the more it seemed like everyone, collectively, was making fun of me.

At the time I was also freelance writing, so I thought I would go over to a friend’s and check the computer to see if my article had been published. I googled my name, and some key words from the article, and nothing came up — instead, one of the first hits to come up was a blog written by an American musician of the same name. When I clicked on this blog, which was showcasing this other Luke Williams’ new music, it struck me how poorly written and self-absorbed it was.

I immediately thought that everyone was making fun of me and had invented this satirical blog to send me up.

Because I found it so incredibly clichéd and poorly expressed, I decided that it must be a parody. A parody of me! And, for some reason, I linked this back to my failed attempt at doing a show at Triple J — that somehow the people behind this were people who I used to work with at the station, who were making fun of me.

And when I went back to my Facebook feed, it looked like all my triple j ex-colleagues were making coded allusions to me, and how lame I was, in their status updates.

I contacted a trusted friend, who was able to talk me down from my delusion, and soothe me, at least momentarily.

I dunno what to make of this, it's from a news site yet clearly an ad. But now I'm wondering what kinda crystal meth have they been doing... Causes while i wouldn't call meth my drug of choice and i haven't done nearly as much meth as i have opioids or benzos etc, but i sure haven't experienced any adventures on meth like they're talking about, unless you consider annoying your boyfriend by endlessly talking about some subject on my mind at 50 words a second constantly branching off topic into hour long subtopics before getting back to where I started making the whole thing take hours in an almost entirely one sided conversation until he just shuts me up by kissing me and.... giving me another outlet for my energy that he'll find much less boring, an adventure.

Last edited:
Senior judge declares war on drugs has been lost in WA

http%3a%2f%2fprod.static9.net.au%2f_%2fmedia%2f2016%2f05%2f18%2f17%2f45%2f1805_icesb.ashx

A meth epidemic fuelled by mine workers rolling with cash and Chinese drug cartels has led to Western Australia becoming a "world leader" in ice use.

A senior WA judge warned the war on drugs has been lost due to the inability of authorities to stem the supply of ice.

While handing down a sentence to a crystal meth dealer Beau Darran Udell on Tuesday, District Court Judge Philip McCann labelled the state's ice epidemic a "national and international disgrace".

He said Chinese drug cartels targeted the booming WA economy and imported ice "by the tonne", according to The West Australian.

"We are the world leaders. It is a national disgrace. It’s an international disgrace," he said.

"That horse bolted years ago when WA’s rich, booming economy allowed it to become the preferred market of the international drug gangs."

http%3a%2f%2fprod.static9.net.au%2f_%2fmedia%2f2016%2f05%2f18%2f17%2f45%2f1805_icedrawer.ashx%3fw%3d603

Judge McCann's comments were based on figures featured in the 2013 national drug strategy household survey.

The survey found 3.8 percent of people aged over 13 in WA had used methamphetamine during the previous year, with the percentage of people using it in the form of crystal meth or ice rising from 43.9 to 78.2 percent - well above national comparisons.

However, WA Health Department data suggests the problem has worsened since the 2013 survey.

" We can no longer do anything to stop the predatory importing of the drug by Chinese criminal gangs and their Australian affiliates," Judge McCann said.

"The damage now seems to have almost irreparably been done."

Judge McCann sentenced Udell to four years in jail.

The court heard Udell's ice habit began to spiral out of control in about 2013.

He had been dealing ice out of Mandurah's Atrium Hotel when caught.

http://www.9news.com.au/national/20...drugs-has-been-lost-in-wa#FRmGLj7QhO17fwio.99

Gold Coast men charged after cross-border 'ice' raids

wo men from the Gold Coast are among seven people arrested after a series of coordinated drug raids across Queensland and New South Wales.

Detectives seized drugs and more than $100,000 after raiding 18 properties across central and northern NSW and the Gold Coast yesterday as part of Strike Force Yellowbox.

The two Queensland men arrested, aged 29 and 45, are due to be extradited from the Gold Coast to NSW.

They have been charged with supply prohibited drug of a large commercial quantity and knowingly direct activities of a criminal group.

Police said the arrests were the result of long-running investigations targeting a large-scale drug supply syndicate distributing methamphetamines.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-05-18/gold-coast-men-charged-in-cross-border-'ice'-raids/7424084

'Ice' scourge: Regional drug courts touted as possible answer in Warrnambool drug fight

One of south-west Victoria's top policemen says regional drug courts could be the key to breaking the cycle of drug use and incarceration.

Delegates from Victoria Police, the Australian Drug Foundation and drug practitioners descended on Warrnambool last week, to forge a new approach to tackling the 'ice' epidemic.

Data from Victoria's Police Association has revealed 80 per cent of criminal cases in the Warrnambool Magistrates Court are related to ice use.

The project manager of the Great South Coast Ice Action Plan and Warrnambool Senior Sergeant, Steve Thompson, said users needed to be diverted away from the criminal justice system.

"There's a lot of issues around that, around funding, the model we take, the infrastructure that is required but certainly speaking on behalf of police across the Great South Coast, we would welcome any opportunity to be involved in any sort of front-running, proactive programs like drug courts," he said.

Senior Sergeant Thompson conceded the region's approach to ice was not working.

He said enforcement alone was not the answer.

"The reality is that, with other agencies and organisations, we haven't made great in-roads into the problem," he said.

"The problem is still there, it's as real for us now as it ever was and with ice, in a lot of ways, it's probably worse and more in the spotlight than it's ever been."
- Senior Sergeant Steve Thompson

"So what I think our focus should be going forward is diverting people away from the criminal justice system."

As part of the initiative, six local government areas from across the south-west will have 100 days to develop their own ice prevention plans.

The facilitator of the Great South Coast Ice Action Plan, David Stewart, said he hoped it would lead to a more coordinated, regional approach.

"Part of the screening is to make sure there's a difference between what's well intended and what's effective, so we're informing them as much as they can so they can go and test that," he said.

More focus urged on socio-economic conditions

Former ice addict Michael said any approach must put a greater focus on the socio-economic conditions that led to drug use.

"In terms of preventing it now, it would be going back and looking at it, personally for me, when I was 12 years old and I had all of this anxiety and disconnection and 'uncomfortability' in the world," he said.

"If there was more of an open forum for me to talk about it and less of a stigma around young kids in mental health, it could of worked out differently for me and I think that's where we need to look at."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-05-...-looks-for-new-approach-to-fight-drug/7437336

Ice users turning to GHB fuels resurgence on Gold Coast: Police

There has been a resurgence in the use of the date rape drug GHB on the Gold Coast, Queensland police say.

Officers from Taskforce Maxima have recently made a number of significant seizures of the drug gamma hydroxybutyrate - also known as liquid fantasy.

In April a raid at Southport netted 16 litres, along with counterfeit money and loaded guns.

The raid took an estimated 5,300 hits of the drug, worth $100,000, off the street.

Taskforce Maxima Detective Superintendent Mick Niland said ice users were turning to the downer to help them come down and sleep.

"Ice users are using GHB to come down off ice where they haven't slept for three or four days," he said.

Hits of fantasy, sold in fish-shaped soy sauce containers, sell for about $20.

"Some of the suppliers and traffickers are utilising the little soy sauce containers that they call 'fishies'," Superintendent Niland said.

"A user would probably only use one to three millimetres and it's a fine line between experiencing what they call a euphoric experience to going into unconsciousness."

'We haven't been good at holding perpetrators accountable'

GHB is a colourless, odourless drug that looks like water and is commonly used in sexual assaults.

Dealers are using soy sauce squeeze packs or 'fishies' to traffic GHB on the Gold Coast.

PHOTO: Queensland police say dealers are using 'fishies' to traffic GHB on the Gold Coast. (ABC News: Ashleigh Stevenson)
7405648-3x2-940x627.jpg

Gold Coast Centre Against Sexual Violence director Di McLeod said the recent resurgence was concerning.

"GHB has been a problem that's waxed and waned over the years, certainly in the 14 years that we've been involved in looking at drink spiking and sexual assault," she said.

"The more drugs that are available the more likely they are to be used in these kinds of ways."

Ms McLeod said it was important that perpetrators of sexual assault were held accountable.

"I think women have been very vigilant in watching their drinks and looking out for each other," Ms McLeod said.

"But what we haven't been good at is holding the perpetrators accountable.

"We need to be saying very clearly if you use drugs and alcohol to get sex then there's a name for you and that's rapist.

"You're committing a crime because you're taking away a person's right to consent."

Man who killed a 22-year-old woman and stuffed her body in a wheelie bin knew how to 'play the system' and was high on ice when he murdered her despite being on parole for other serious crimes

Sarah Cafferkey, 22, was stabbed to death in a Melbourne unit in 2012
Double murderer Steven James Hunter was high on ice when he killed her
Hunter served 13 years for murdering another woman in 1986
He killed Ms Cafferkey just 11 days after parole ended for other offences
A Victorian coroner said on Wednesday Hunter had 'played the system'

Double murderer Steven James Hunter 'played the system' and was under the influence of ice when he killed a 22-year-old and stuffed her body in a wheelie bin, according to a Victorian coroner.
Law student Sarah Cafferkey and Hunter would often meet up to use drugs and drink alcohol, but after an argument in 2012, the convicted killer stabbed and bashed the young woman to death at his Bacchus Marsh unit in Melbourne.
Hunter, who previously served 13 years for killing another woman in 1986, killed Ms Cafferkey just 11 days after his parole ended for assault and kidnapping offences.

349A306300000578-3608712-image-a-5_1464179650570.jpg

'Because of his unchanged attitude towards violence, in particular violence against women, Hunter posed a real risk to the community, both when he commenced his parole and at the end of his parole period,' Victorian coroner Judge Ian Gray said on Wednesday.
'In the interests of community safety, this fact should have been drawn to the attention of the [Adult Parole Board].'

The APB was not made aware of a report, written while Hunter was on parole, that made it clear he needed substantial further intervention.
There was little time between the May 2012 report, after Hunter failed to complete a group program, and the end of his parole on October 30. But no attempt was made to intervene.
'It was only a brief window of opportunity but should have been taken,' Judge Gray said.
'Hunter was able to play the system'.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ce-murdered-Bacchus-Marsh-Melbourne-unit.html

Experts Agree that the War on Ice is Lost, But Will Governments Shift Focus?

A Western Australian Judge has declared the State has lost its war on drugs, as suppliers are undeterred by heavy penalties and increased enforcement measures.

During a District Court sentencing hearing, Judge Philip McCann called the ‘ice epidemic’ “a national and international disgrace,” blaming the continuing flow of the drug on Chinese drug cartels.

He conceded that drug experts are correct to say it is impossible to stop supply into the State by “criminal gangs in Asia”, who he believes targeted the growing drug market created by the WA mining boom.

Drug Use in Western Australia

The 2013 national drug survey found that 3.8% of Western Australians aged over 13 had used methamphetamine during the previous year, significantly higher than the national average of 2.1%. The percentage using the crystalised version, or ice, rose from 43.9 to 78.2% between 2012 to 2013 – also well-above the rise in other jurisdictions.

The Judge added that WA Health Department data suggests the problem has worsened since the 2013 survey.

“We can no longer do anything to stop the predatory importing of the drug by Chinese criminal gangs and their Australian affiliates,” he said, suggesting that increased penalties and the targeting of offenders has done little to stem the problem.

“The damage now seems to have almost irreparably been done. The opportunities to do something about this were lost some years ago.”

State Response

Last year, the WA government established dedicated methamphetamine taskforces, conducting the biggest drug operation in the State’s history. Police Minister Liza Harvey said “Meth Transport Teams” were aiming to stop the flow of the drug from Asia.

The expensive initiative appears to achieved little, other than wasting taxpayer money and further demonising and alienating low-level users.

Government Initiatives

In last week’s State Budget, WA Treasurer Mike Nahan took the positive step of unveiling a $15 million boost to the Mental Health Commission, designed to target methamphetamine use. But at the same time, he set aside an additional $5.5 million for roadside drug testing.

Late last year, the Federal government committed to a $300 million strategy aimed at implementing recommendations by the National Ice Taskforce. Much of the money will be going to ‘primary health networks’ such as hospitals and medical centres, in order to treat users and assist them to overcome addiction.

And while Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull has conceded that “we cannot arrest our way to success,” the Federal Government’s continues invest the lion’s share of resources into punitive measures rather than prevention and diversion.

Prevention is Better than a ‘Cure’

Justice Minister Michael Keenan has acknowledged that police are struggling to control supply, suggesting more should be done to educate and reduce demand. “If we are going to break the drug dealer’s model, we need to smash demand,” he said.

Reducing demand requires adequate funding to services which address the factors leading to addiction in the first place, including those which help improve socio-economic status and mental health. Spending on housing, employment support and mental health services has been shown by initiatives like justice reinvestment to decrease demand, reduce crime and enhance social cohesion and economic productivity.

The UN Office 2013 World Drug Report says that for every dollar spent on prevention, there is a benefit of four to seven dollars to the economy overall. Such investments can reduce healthcare and enforcement costs, while enhancing productivity.

Professor Nick Crofts of The Nossal Institute for Global Health was recently commissioned to report on the problem of methamphetamine use. “We interviewed something like 50 senior police, senior magistrates, senior politicians, senior public servants,” he said. “Every one of them, unanimously, said, ‘You are absolutely right and we totally agree with you, we need to move away from prohibition, we need more social policy, and you will never catch me saying that in public’.”

It is hoped State and Federal governments act upon that “unanimous” view, and move away from the current punitive model.

https://sydneydruglawyers.com.au/bl...ice-is-lost-but-will-governments-shift-focus/

Last edited by a moderator:
Up to 200kg of meth seized after foreign boat intercepted off WA's Mid West coast

A number of people are facing charges over what is alleged to be one of Western Australia's biggest drug seizures, linked to a suspicious boat that was intercepted off Geraldton in the Mid West.

Deputy commissioner Gary Dreibergs said 200kg of methamphetamine had been seized, the equivalent of 2 million individual hits on the streets, valued at $200 million.

He said 14 people would be charged over "the biggest methamphetamine seizure in WA this year".

"It is evident that this seizure is part of a well-funded, highly-organised, sophisticated overseas criminal organisation," he said.

"Without the outstanding joint work of all Australian law enforcement agencies, this result would not have been achieved."

The details of the case and those charged had been the subject of strict suppression orders issued by the Perth Magistrates Court in closed hearings over the past few days.

The investigation into the alleged drug smuggling operation started when the foreign boat was intercepted earlier this month and escorted to the Geraldton Fishermen's Wharf, 400 kilometres north of Perth.

The vessel was inspected for several days as firefighters wearing protective gear removed containers suspected to have been used to hold chemicals.

The operation involved officers from WA Police, the Australian Federal Police (AFP), and Australian Border Force.

Eight Chinese crew were later taken into immigration detention by the AFP as they "did not have valid visas to enter Australia".

Police then raided homes across Perth and arrested a number of people.

All three agencies have refused to make any comment until the planned media conference.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-05-27/meth-seized-after-arrest-of-geraldton-boat-crew/7450716