Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Australian etiquette

stimutant

Bluelight Crew
how to behave in australia?
special things to do / not to do as a tourist?
tipping - how much, when?
any topics to avoid when talking to / interacting with australians?

(...and so on....)

thx in advance,
brbg

Tipping in Australia isn't expected or necessary. Some people do like to tip at restaurants though.

Most importantly:

The rounds at the pub

"In tribal societies in which gift giving is economically important, there may be exchange of gift giving of identical (or useless) gifts which serve to maintain the relationship between donors. In Australia, the ritual of the round, known virtually to all adult members of society, has some parrallel functions. It symbolise entry to a group (and, for that matter, makes pointed an exclusion). It binds a group together." National Times January 1978

The social rules of the round or shout are perhaps the most important of all social rules that need to be mastered. A round is where one individual will pay for the drinks of the other members of the drinking party. Once the drinks have been drunk, another member of the drinking party will get the next round. Every member of the drinking party must buy the same number of rounds.

Like splitting the bill at a restaurant, there is no consideration given to each member's financial status, background or to their gender.

Even generous acts of appreciation, such as buying a drink for an old Digger on ANZAC Day, are likely to be rejected by the intended recipient of the generosity.

The round is one of the principle reasons why Australia has avoided the racial ghettos and race riots that are common in America and Britain. The custom allows an outsider to be inducted into the social group and treated as if they are of equal status. It also allows individuals to demonstrate that are trustworthy characters who are not bludgers and who do not consider themselves to be superior. The round is central to affirming Australia's egalitarian sensibilities. In a way, it creates a kind of psychological round table that would have made King Arthur proud.

The round is also a reason why non-sexual relationships between men and women are very common in Australia. A lone woman can go out drinking with men and provided she buys her round, she will be treated as one of the boys. In other cultures around the world, if a woman goes out drinking with men, she will generally be seen as a slut. Men are always thinking of her gender because they know they have to pay for her.

The rounds are not always followed in night-clubs. This can be attributed to the diverse drinks bought, different motivations, interference of drugs, and the different character of person who frequents such establishments.

http://www.convictcreations.com/culture/socialrules.htm (Click this link for a good general Australian etiquette guide)

Your turn.

What is my turn?

Your turn to shout

Why should I shout?

Because I shouted you

I did not hear you shout at me

He thought for a while and said, I get ut. When you buy a bloke a beer, it's called a shout, see?

Why is that?

I haven't a clue, but that's what it's called. I shouted for you, now it's your turn to shout for me.

I was only a little thirsty. I do not think I wish another drink.

He looked quite stern, In this country, if you want to keep out of trouble, you always return a shout, see?

Is this the custom?

Bloody oath, it's the custom. Your turn.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Round_of_drinks

* No dragging the chain- It is a well understood obligation that slower drinkers in a shout must attempt to keep pace with the faster members of a shout.

* Immediacy - Never accept a beer if you do not intend to shout on that evening. Shouting "next time" is not acceptable no matter how much interest is involved.

* Reciprocal - Even worse than the previous rule is accepting beers from the drinking party and then just buying one for yourself when it is your turn.

* Consistency - Changing drinks on people during a shout is considered poor form. I.e., shouting everyone VBs then asking for a "boutique" beer on the return leg.

* Accountability - Knocking over someone else's beer will only be tolerated if there is a full replacement on the table. In some mining communities, the spilling of ones beer requires the guilty party to receive a punch in the arm from all other members of the party which could be up to 60 people.

* Egalitarian - No matter how much money is earned by each of the party members, or where their money came from, the same shouting rules apply.

* Free will - The order of the round is determined by each individual volunteering that it is his/her shout. Fellow members should not never have to remind an individual of their obligations to the group. They will only do so in the event of a breach.

* Abstaining - From time to time an individual may wish to stop getting drunk. Ideally, they should wait till the completion of every group member's rounds before abstaining from future rounds. If it is essential that they abstain mid-round, they should request a non-alcoholic beverage. This ensures that the first volunteer is not punished for putting their hand up first. It ensures group equality and it also ensures that the person buying the next round does not feel like a bludger by being remiss in their obligations.

* Gender neutral- Should a women be given a drink that has been purchased in the course of buying a round, she is subsequently part of the round. All the previous rules thus apply. A round can consist of only two people.

http://www.convictcreations.com/culture/drinking.htm

Last edited:
yeah tipping isnt requisite, becareful of the taxis in perth - drivers are fucking psycho foreigners who are driving under someone elses *a relative or friend's name* . Dont ask people for cigarettes that you dont know its becoming tiresome giving out smokes, dont talk too loudly and bring attention to yourself, one american on the bus was disciplining her kid in extremely loud tones and everyone else just stared at her. Just dont be a dickhead.

Australian Etiquette & Customs

Meeting Etiquette

. Australians are not very formal so greetings are casual and relaxed.
. A handshake and smile suffices.
. While an Australian may say, 'G'day' or 'G'day, mate', this may sound patronizing from a foreigner. Visitors should simply say, 'Hello' or 'Hello, how are you?'
. Aussies prefer to use first names, even at the initial meeting

Gift Giving Etiquette

. Small gifts are commonly exchanged with family members, close friends, and neighbours on birthdays and Christmas.
. Trades people such as sanitation workers may be given a small amount of cash, or more likely, a bottle of wine or a six-pack of beer!
. If invited to someone's home for dinner, it is polite to bring a box of chocolates or flowers to the hostess. A good quality bottle of wine is always appreciated.
. Gifts are opened when received.

Dining Etiquette

. Many invitations to an Aussies home will be for a 'barbie' (BBQ).
. Guests to a barbeque typically bring wine or beer for their personal consumption. In some cases, very informal barbecues may suggest that you bring your own meat!
. Arrive on time if invited to dinner; no more than 15 minutes late if invited to a barbeque or a large party.
. Contact the hostess ahead of time to see if she would like you to bring a dish.
. Offer to help the hostess with the preparation or clearing up after a meal is served.

Watch your table manners!

. Table manners are Continental -- hold the fork in the left hand and the knife in the right while eating.
. Indicate you have finished eating by laying your knife and fork parallel on your plate with the handles facing to the right.
. Keep your elbows off the table and your hands above the table when eating.

Australian Society & Culture

. Australians are very down to earth and always mindful of not giving the impression that they think they are better than anyone else.
. They value authenticity, sincerity, and loathe pretentiousness.
. Australians prefer people who are modest, humble, self- deprecating and with a sense of humour.
. They do not draw attention to their academic or other achievements and tend to distrust people who do.
. They often downplay their own success, which may make them appear not to be achievement-oriented.

Mates

. Australians place a high value on relationships.
. With a relatively small population, it is important to get along with everyone, since you never know when your paths may cross again.
. This leads to a win-win negotiating style, since having everyone come away with positive feelings helps facilitate future business dealings.

More here

Australian Society & Culture

. Australians are very down to earth and always mindful of not giving the impression that they think they are better than anyone else.
. They value authenticity, sincerity, and loathe pretentiousness.
. Australians prefer people who are modest, humble, self- deprecating and with a sense of humour.
. They do not draw attention to their academic or other achievements and tend to distrust people who do.
. They often downplay their own success, which may make them appear not to be achievement-oriented.

Not sure I agree with all of that :p

Basically you get your arseholes and your gems in all cultures and countries. Just be yourself, be respectful and don't take any shit.

o

The word bastard is a term of endearment.

Listen to this cunt, he knows his shit.

A number of other things to remember

-Bad driving can often be forgiven by throwing up a courtesy wave
-Pretty girls appreciate random guys yelling out "Show us ya tits" from across the room. In fact it may even get you laid
-Despite what they may say, most guys have not fucked your mum
-Each state has it's own local beer, Qld-XXX, NSW-Tooheys, Vic-Some kind of piss trough. Despite home towners refusing to drink another type of beer, they are actual fact all made from the same bitter lager recipe and have very little taste difference. Except Victoria where they seem to not wash the glass or something when bottling.

A tip is the end you place the chalk when playing pool.

"-Each state has it's own local beer, Qld-XXX, NSW-Tooheys, Vic-Some kind of piss trough. Despite home towners refusing to drink another type of beer, they are actual fact all made from the same bitter lager recipe and have very little taste difference. Except Victoria where they seem to not wash the glass or something when bottling."

There are also more than three states in Australia.

We also have a disputed land to the North
called 'The Territory'.

It's sort of like a state, but has an orange flag
+ you can't buy takeaway beers on Sundays.

Lostpunk...........re shouting and its reasons.

I just thought it was common sense and means you only have to get up once every round instead of every bloody drink. I think the writer of that has read far to much into it.

You've gone your whole life and never encountered a round cheater?

Oh and shouting is not ubiquitous to all cultures, Maz. It can throw some people.

i have a new australian housemate. whenever i say 'hi' when i see him, he doesn't respond, i've modified this to 'how are you?' to actively solicit a response and still nothing. is it standard in australia to not greet people when you walk into a room? its been like this ever since he moved in so its nothing to do with me in particular. i find being actively ignored extremely rude but if its cultural differences i'll let it slide.

does this give me license not to respond when he starts talking about football??

does this give me license not to respond when he starts talking about football??

in this case a license isnt required. you need one to be allowed to talk about football & theyre not easy to get.

edit: thanx to all posters. sounds like the australians are the germans of the southern hemisphere :)