[AUS] New Ecstasy Cultures Study

findcameron

Bluelighter
Hi All,
I know some of you must feel that we researchers have nothing better to do than sit around stroking our chins contemplating the deep meaning of club cultures...so I'm sorry to have to confirm this suspicion with this posting!
The Centre for Youth Drug Studies in collaboration with Turning Point is about to start a new qualitative research project on ecstasy and related drug cultures in Victoria. This research promises to be a little mroe interesting than most existing ecstasy research projects in that we are really interested in the cultural meanings generated in and through ecstasy and dance cultures in Victoria.
Jenn and I are interested in how ecstasy and dance cultures interact to produce new cultural forms, new cultural relationships and new possibilities for creative change in youth cultures. Again I'm sorry if this all sounds like Introduction to Cultural Studies 101 but I think we have some interesting research questions to explore. As follows:
•describe patterns of ecstasy and related drug use, including settings of use, with whom use occurs, time and frequency of use, the profile and social networks of people who use ecstasy, and how this changes over time and varies according to age and gender;

•identify the social and cultural contexts of ecstasy use including the role and function ecstasy play in their lives and how this changes over time and according to age and gender;

•identify the benefits and harms that users associate with ecstasy use and the strategies they employ to reduce or manage those harms;

•describe users’ perceived future patterns of ecstasy use including alcohol and other drug use; and

•make recommendations about prevention approaches relevant to consumers of ecstasy, including when and where these approaches would be most appropriate.

Anyway, we're really excited about this project, and we're keen for as many people to get involved as possible. I think this is finally a chance to talk about the cultural benefits associated with ecstasy use, as well as how to minimise harms etc.

If you're interested please email me at [email protected]
or call on 03 9278 8118. We're paying $30 for a 45 min or so interview. We're also interested in running small focus groups so if you have a group of 2 or 3 friends who might like to get involved then contact me as well.

Thanks!

Dr Cameron Duff
Centre for Youth Drug Studies

Last edited by a moderator:
Is that the same Jenn that was involved in the NDARC thing in melbourne?? Jenn johnston i think? Anyways, I'll do it when someone else does...Just dont wanna be the first....Anyone??

Yeah, i was wondering the same thing SIM... i've done that one, i'd be interested in another

SIM-1 said:
Is that the same Jenn that was involved in the NDARC thing in melbourne?? Jenn johnston i think?
Yes, it would be the same Jenn.
Anyways, I'll do it when someone else does...Just dont wanna be the first....Anyone??
There is nothing to be concerned about, Cameron isn't a scary guy and is a valuable ally to Enlighten and HR. Help out if you can! :)

I always wondered this...

Whats to stop the police from looking at your study after youve finished/published it, and co-ordinating their war on drugs accordingly?

lok1 said:

Whats to stop the police from looking at your study after youve finished/published it, and co-ordinating their war on drugs accordingly?
Nothing. However the benefit of this kind of research far outweighs the potential for the police to learn how to better structure their own approach.

lok1 said:

Good point. I agree with Cowboy Mac, but would like to add that a key point we make clear in research interviews is that people should only answer questions they feel comfortable with. That is, assess the topic and decide whether you think you want to have that sort of information in a report.

Cowboy Mac said:
There is nothing to be concerned about, Cameron isn't a scary guy and is a valuable ally to Enlighten and HR. Help out if you can! :)

I will vouch for this! This study is very important!

I'm guessing on gertrude street again...Have already sent an e-mail for me & my guy. We're now setting a date & time.

Am booked in for friday ... Am i the only bloody one whose actually gone for it?? Or have any others ??

Heh... actually I did this with Cameron back in 2005. I hope he still has my session on tape =D

^^ I had a quick flick through that, thanks for the thread bump hoptis/tronica. :) I wonder how much the trends have changed since then? That was published two years ago and a lot of the literary references were several years old at the time.

Surely it's even more accepted by youth now though the massive decline in quality of your average pill here must be having some effect on usage patterns too?