• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

AUS: Dangerous new drug 'flakka' could be behind mass Gold Coast overdose

Superintendent Michelle Stenner said confusion over its make-up was almost irrelevant after it was originally thought to be flakka, a substance which had caused recent damage overseas.

“Regardless of whether it’s LSD, MDMA, N-Bomb, marijuana, whatever you want to call it — these are dangerous drugs and they are called dangerous for a reason,” she said.

In the aftermath of a drug misidentification which cost a man his life and put several others in hospital, the police actually downplay the importance of properly identifying and distinguishing between these compounds. I can't get my head around that.. I don't want to either.

Do they not consider that listing marijuana along with n-bomes may give the impression that a relatively dangerous hallucinogen is possibly in the same ballpark as cannabis (a comparatively harmless material) in terms of its' safety profile? Probably the opposite message that they are attempting to send, but it is becoming increasingly apparent that they don't really know what they are talking about.

The media are no better, wildly speculating that the compound in question was a-pvp, a stimulant with a vastly different profile of effects that had no relation to the matter at all. They continue on to label n-bome as 'synthetic lsd' without considering that perhaps an inability to distinguish between LSD and far more dangerous compounds like n-bomes may precipitate the kind of confusion that can and has led to mix-ups which have had tragic outcomes.

Last edited:
5846020118adaaeb871c8ae9c371012c

Superintendent Michelle Stenner

‘Zombie drug’ mass outbreak sparks immediate police response for Castrol Gold Coast 600

A man feared to have taken the mystery drug that struck down 16 Gold Coasters over the weekend has taken to Facebook to warn others.

“Saturday night I was given drugs from someone in SinCity — two days later I’ve woken up from a coma in hospital,” he wrote.

“Two — three seizures, kidney acute failure and not being able to stomach even water.

“I almost died. Please, if not for yourself, for me, don’t take drugs.”

It comes after police revealed all officers rostered to work at this weekend’s GC600 would be briefed on how to respond to users of the “zombie drug” flakka.

Inspector Des Hearn, who is in charge of safety at the event, confirmed yesterday the 300-plus police working across the three-day festival will be briefed on the dangers of the synthetic drug.

It comes as 16 people at the weekend overdosed on what is understood to be flakka, a designer drug which is a massive issue in the US.

The drug is often referred to as the “zombie drug” due to the side-effects it has on users, including wild hallucinations and aggressive behaviour.

NSW police said flakka had been sold in Newcastle and Wollongong for as little as $15 for a hit. It is usually snorted.

It is believed that in Queensland the drug is imported from Mexico and distributed by Asian crime gangs before being sold on the streets of Surfers Paradise.

Users are reportedly told the pills are MDMA.

It is expected about 200,000 revellers will attend GC600.

“Certainly I’ll be getting our intelligence section to research the symptoms and signs and include this in our briefings for GC600, 100 per cent,” Insp Hearn said.

“This will include educating officers on how to deal with people who are showing signs of being on this zombie drug. We’ll tell them what they need to do in the event that people are overdosing and will be prepared if it becomes an issue.”

A man running into oncoming traffic was seized by police in Surfers Paradise in the early hours of yesterday morning.

Another victim was caught having seizures in Melbas yesterday morning, while police and paramedics were also forced to tackle other users due to their erratic behaviour.

Toxicology reports are still being conducted on the 16 people who were taken to hospital. However, those under the influence all showed similar symptoms of “wild hallucinations”.

“We are concerned, we have the V8s coming up and people will be here with their families, so we want to get the message out there about the risks of these dangerous drugs,” senior operations supervisor of the QAS Stephen Burns said.

Superintendent Gold Coast District Michelle Stenner said police would be on guard at Schoolies.

“These are dangerous drugs,” she said.

A Schoolies spokesman said: “Organisers are committed to the safety of young people.”

Flakka — a foul drug

What is it?

A foul-smelling white or pink crystal, flakka is made from a compound called alpha-PVP, a chemical cousin of the amphetamine-like drug in bath salts. The active ingredient in bath salts was banned in 2011. Alpha-PVP was not. Also known as “gravel”.

How can it be taken?

It can be smoked, snorted, injected or vaporised.

Where is it from?

Flakka is a street drug with origins in Florida and has already spread across the US and Europe.

How powerful is it?

Drug experts estimate it’s about 10 times more powerful than cocaine.

What are some of the effects of flakka?

Those who have flakka in their system can display signs of bizarre, aggressive and uncontrollable behaviour and are said to suffer severe hallucinations. It is particularly dangerous because it can also have a stimulant effect, like ice, so a combination of the two can be a terrifying mix.

Is it addictive?

Research suggests it’s as potent as methamphetamine but bears a higher propensity for addiction.

How much does it cost?

Flakka has been reported to cost up to $40 a pop in WA but as little as $15 in Newcastle.

http://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au...0/news-story/5c107113733907e01b7c48da1863062a