• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

AUS: ‘Drop dead’ drug linked to deaths of 10 people in Melbourne

Jabberwocky

Frumious Bandersnatch
A deadly drug responsible for killing thousands in the United States is now being linked to the deaths of 10 people in Melbourne with more cases expected to emerge.

Known as the “drop dead” drug, fentanyl is a synthetic painkiller which is so powerful, only a few milligrams can kill.

The 10 overdoses reported in 2015, believed to be involving a suspected mix of heroin and fentanyl, are thought to be the first deaths attributed to the concoction outside of North America, where more than 60,000 people were killed by drugs last year.

http%3A%2F%2Fprod.static9.net.au%2F_%2Fmedia%2F2017%2F12%2F11%2F10%2F04%2F171211_NEWS_DRUG_1.jpg

“It’s very, very strong. We use it in hospitals for anaesthetics and also for chronic pain,” TODAY medical expert Dr Ric Gordon said.

“But there’s a very fine line between the dose you need for good pain relief and something that will suppress, which is what the drug does, respiration.

“If you have it mixed with your heroin or you use it in overdose, the fine line between useful drug and killing drug is very small.”

The dangerous drug could be linked to a large number of overdoses reported in Melbourne last night.

There are fears more cases will occur in Australia with about 30 international fentanyl shipments entering the country in the past 18 months.

Source: https://www.9news.com.au/national/2...ug-linked-to-deaths-of-10-people-in-melbourne

9News said:
The 10 overdoses reported in 2015, believed to be involving a suspected mix of heroin and fentanyl, are thought to be the first deaths attributed to the concoction outside of North America, where more than 60,000 people were killed by drugs last year.

I feel like this is incorrect.

it is incorrect, i saw this article earlier today and that sentence stood out like dog's balls. what a load of bullshit.
there has been a massively fatal fent epidemic in estonia foryears, and there have definitely been reports of fent-heroin deaths in the UK and europe.

this ‘Drop dead’ drug linked to deaths of 10 people in Melbourne banner headline was on newspapers and news stands all over melbourne today - but it happened over 2 years ago!
so much for victoria police concern about public safety. the cops don't give a flying fuck about the welfare of drug users - if we live or we die.
to them,addicts are second-calss citizens, they don't fucking care.
this whole story is so depressing - from the hype and scaremongering to the way this scary information wasn't made public at the time. appalling.

major props to BL's very own Director of Research (Monica) of getting a quote in there. <3

this situation is untenable - we need to make some radical changes to drug policy; the situation at the moment is killing so many people, and that should not be acceptable to anyone - the public, the police or whoever.
the apathy of the police in particular is deeply troubling.

Though I live in Sydney not Melbourne, I've never experienced a problem with fentanyl. And I would hate to see this bullshit starting here too.

so much for victoria police concern about public safety. the cops don't give a flying fuck about the welfare of drug users - if we live or we die.
to them,addicts are second-calss citizens, they don't fucking care.
this whole story is so depressing - from the hype and scaremongering to the way this scary information wasn't made public at the time. appalling.

major props to BL's very own Director of Research (Monica) of getting a quote in there. <3

Agreed and WOOT! :)