• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

Atheist's good or bad reputation

I was born into a Christian home, raised by two self-proclaimed born again Christians. Church was twice a week and often we spent all weekend at church when I was little because my father was helping build a new sanctuary and administrative wing onto the church. Not only did my father pay for most the materials, he did much of the work himself since before he went big time in finance, he was a carpenter. In my teens, youth group was held in my basement every Wednesday evening and I was a devoted youth group leader appointed by my pastor to the board of high school ministries. The truth was I'd been horribly depressed my whole life and I was hoping that through hard work in my position at church I would be blessed and freed from the shackles of my mental illness. I never got better until I started smoking pot at 16 and the long deep conversations with my ex both helped me get better temporarily. The so called Christian God basically had forsaken me or he never existed, on or the other. Either way religion has done nothing for me.

I'm ok as an atheist, especially if death is really the end. That's peaceful and well peace can be hard to come by these days no matter where you live. I'm also pro-religion for those who want to partake. I think religion does really good things for people in some cases. I also think parts of religion have been the biggest most cruel lies in the history of man kind. Religion as an opiate for the masses is a good explanation for it.

I think atheism is the status quo where I live. I run with a smarter crowd so that might be why I see atheism as the only local philosophy outside of my family environment which has remained Christian. I will say the my younger brother who is studying chemical engineering at Northwestern in Chicago is leaning towards being an agnostic, he said that to me, it's not my own observation.

I think some atheists can be cruel in the way they treat people who believe in any religion. I think some religious people can say the wildest things, for example telling people they will go to hell if they do this or that or don't make a blood pact with the church. It's creepy stuff that people would say those things to other people, why would they want to believe in something that did damn people to hell for close to no reason.

On every side of the religion argument there are cruel people who want to convince others that their entire belief system is a farce. On every side there are wonderful people who give back to the community regardless of affiliation.

Atheism is the status Quo. Religion is dying, also the religious are growing more devout by the moon cycle.