• ✍️ WORDS ✍️

Welcome Guest!

• Words Moderators: Mysterier

Ashes...

ForEverAfter

Ex-Bluelighter
You slipped through the cracks,
and I didn't even think about trying to save you.

Now, your memory stains the future.

When you enter my thoughts,
I burn you at the stake.

When I see you in my dreams,
we make love... as if nothing ever happened.

When I wake up,
I am alone.

Last edited:
He gets up, makes coffee. Wants to kill someone on the subway. Wants to kill himself. Decides to have fish for lunch. Doesn't like it. Eats it anyway. Goes home. Massages his temples with a revolver. Accidentally pulls the trigger. His brain releases a cocktail of drugs, instantly making him delirious and high beyond anything he could ever imagine. He returns, from consciousness to the everything. Like being born backwards. He sees his life flash before his eyes.

He gets up, makes coffee. Wants to kill someone on the subway. Wants to kill himself. Decides to have fish for lunch. Doesn't like it. Eats it anyway. Goes home. Massages his temples with a revolver. Accidentally pulls the trigger. The gun isn't loaded. Checks his head. There is a hole in it. Sticks his finger in the hole. There is a lump of exposed inner brain flesh that is highly sensitive. As soon as he touches it, pleasure spreads throughout his body. This is his brain clitoris.

He gets up. No coffee. There's no point in coffee. Now that he knows that everything is meaningless and that the universe is infinite and he is, therefore, nothing. Can't even fantasize about killing himself. Fucking immortality. Someone on the subway is staring at him, as he fiddles with his brain clitoris. He feels like some kind of freak. Like, maybe, he's not human any more. He decides to have pasta for lunch. Doesn't like it. Leaves without paying. Lies down on the train tracks. His brain releases a cocktail of drugs, instantly making him delirious. He is born backwards. He sees his life flash before his eyes.

He gets up. No coffee. There's no point in coffee. Now that he knows that everything is meaningless and that the universe is infinite and he is, therefore, nothing. Can't even fantasize about killing himself. Fucking immortality. Someone on the subway is staring at him, as he fiddles with his brain clitoris. He feels like some kind of freak. Like, maybe, he's not human any more. He decides to have pasta for lunch. Doesn't like it. Leaves without paying. Lies down on the train tracks. The train stops, inches from his face. He gets back up again, which is difficult due to his incomplete torso. There are limp useless appendages dragging along the ground as he walks. His organs, hanging out between his ribs. The train driver calls him a fucking idiot. He falls down, by the tracks.

He wakes up. A bird is eating his spleen. Furiously, he fiddles with his brain clitoris. But the pleasure is mixed with a screeching pain. He crawls back onto the tracks, piling himself strategically to ensure maximum damage. His brain releases a cocktail of drugs, instantly making him delirious. He is born backwards. He sees his life flash before his eyes.

He is eating himself. Digging his beak in, and taking big hungry bites. He stops. He looks at his body, what remains of it. And he knows, that life as a bird is just as meaningless. He takes flight, soaring through the air, and swooping down – straight into a double-glazed window. His brain releases a cocktail of drugs, instantly making him delirious. He is born backwards. He sees his life flash before his eyes.

He is eating himself.

There was a puddle on his doorstep, and Turner didn't have much of a short term memory on account of the drugs and the booze. He liked to peer out of a slight gap in the curtains. Watch the post man. Watch the garbo. You never can tell, his father always said. You never can tell what kind of sick fuck you're likely to run into one day. You just better be ready. That's all.

The water splashed up, above his ankles, soaking his soaks. Turner, with an overwhelming sense of deja vu, cursed God Almighty and continued walking - shaking his leg like a dog that has stepped in it's own shit. Melbourne had betrayed him again. The promise of blue skies, exhausted by trickling rain and grey clouds.

The cigarette means nothing. It burns. Feeds the tumors, wherever they are. Turner takes some satisfaction from his suicide. His last, his only, good deed. He breathes easy; coughs up blood into his handkerchief, and smiles. If only. They're so lucky, the cancerous. The HIV positive. The dying. Turner looked at the sputum in his embroidered velvet handkerchief. No blood. Nothing. He sighed, shoving it quickly into his pocket.

"If trams have their own personalities, the 243 should be institutionalized."

Same old bullshit conversation. Same fucking jokes. Craig, or Peter. Something like that. Fucking suits. Turner fixed his gaze indiscriminantly through the window, instantly fantasizing about cutting his throat. Craig, or Peter. Whatever the fuck his name was.

He was right though, of course. The 243 was a fucking nightmare. Junkies are a given with any metro line. No; the problem with the forty-three, is the drag queens.

"Here comes a bunch of them now," Craig-Peter said. "Faggots."

An asian guy, wearing skin-tight leather pants, with bright red lipstick; a person if indeterminable gender, the poster child for androgyny; two transexual cheerleaders; and an Elton John impersonator. They sat down, metres away from our protagonist.

"Frank?"

Turner shifted.

"He's talking to you," said Peter-Craig.

Elton leaned forward and lowered his glasses. "Frank Turner?" His leg turned back against itself and extended, by the joint, until it had reached twice it's initial length.

Turner smiled.

"Are you," Peter, or Craig; he said, "Are you one of them?"

Meanwhile, Elton had transformed into a spider. They watched, as it spread eggs across the metal floor. The arachnid anus retracted, loose and swollen, to the ground. Translucent shells, displaying fierce fetuses like baby sharks. Elton made some sort of sound. If it was a language, it was unrecognizable. Sounded more like a screech. Like a cat.

The smile on Turner's face had begun to hurt, sometime before the evolution of Elton spider. He no longer remembered why he was smiling, which terrified him - because, maybe there was no reason. Maybe he was a dribbling idiot, sitting alone and laughing about nothing. Senile, like his grandfather. Turner looked at the spiderman. Fuck, he thought. Maybe I am my grandfather. And, he reached into his pocket for some more mushrooms.

The Asian guy with the lipstick, he was floating approximately one foot from the ceiling of the tram. A bogan, who had repeatedly introduced himself as Mr. Fuck, was taunting the gravity-defying ass pirate. Turner, as always, was paying close attention.

"Hey," Craig, or Peter; he said, "We're here."

Turner, tucking his erection into the leg of his underwear and stuffing a handful of pocket lint and hallucinogenic mushrooms into his mouth, stepped out onto Collins Street. The fresh ulcers on his gums from that morning's coffee throbbed in protest as his body detected the drugs. As they walked, the ground changed from flat to peaked. The sidewalk became narrower and narrower, until they had to walk on tip toes, one foot after the other.

"You're fucking losing it, Turner," somebody said. Craig. Or Peter.

Turner mouthed, "Fuck you." He was smiling weakly, and waving.

* * * * * * *​

Focus groups attract a certain kind of scumbag. They don't tell you this during training. You go in thinking your going to be conducting serious market research. In the end, you get the same group of people. Professional samplers. They go from job to job, for thirty-five dollars a pop, eating free food and saying sweet nothing. Turner hated them. He hated them more than he hated his golfdish, Fool. He hate them more than he hated himself.

There are two kinds of samplers. Small teeth protruded from their limbs. The lizard people. The other ones, the sheep, they didn't have any visible teeth. Or limbs. Just big balls of wool. Wool, Turner mused. Weird word. Wool. One of the lizard people was excreting something onto the table, from a gland in her face. The urge to vomit was instant. Turner stared, horrified, as it dribbled across the woodgrain and started splattering on the floor - near his shoe. Four seconds later he was outside, running down the street.

The remaining population had, at some point, become completely transperant. Turner could see directly through them, like looking through water. They were everywhere. This liquid nation. He collapsed, against the gutter, and began to cry down the drain.

The spider, and his floating Asian gimp, appeared from nowhere. Turner looked up, past the giant arachnid's hairy legs, to his drooling fangs. "They're made of water."

"Frank," said the spider. "We're all made of water."

Turner screamed, and started running wildly down the street muttering to himself.

"Turner?" said a liquid man. Probably Craig, or Peter.

Without thinking, Turner punched Craig (or Peter) in the face, causing Peter (or Craig) to disintegrate into a shower of liquid nothingness. Soaked with what used to function as bones and blood, Frank Turner screamed once more - much louder this time - before continuing his rampage down Burke Street. He ran through seventy-eight people that day, before the dirty lizard people got to him.

They laid eggs in his brain.

Now Turner loves his job.

"May you live in interesting times."
Ancient Curse.

:\

To preface; I enjoy these darker works you've been penning as of late, though I'd much prefer trite and rainbow shit if it meant we could feel a little less shit about ourselves. Maybe a Middle Way is in order, I'll give the matter some consideration.

They come by virtue of (deliberate word there, virtuous, no casual turns of phrase in this old universe of ours) the doom striking the intimate chord.

Yes, not mere singular sounds, but fragmented Chords stacked one atop the other infinitum, a most peculiar chorus! Eternity echoes. Buried alive that love it is, the love-struck spirit, the self who still knows himself as self, still capable of that saint, buried alive a touch to late, a bit late as it turns out..

Under all that bitter exterior pressure. Far, far under. Too far under.

Resonating crescendos, the exponential culminating apexes climbing ever so languid, vicious and hind-brained towards that zenith we dare not cross. I dare not cross. Typically I'll wake in time, waging war, in vicious futile tyranny I strain to keep them closed. The snake oil quilt, a comforter gone astray. We'll eliminate the harsh reality of the sun in the morning hours. We wil we will jesus fuck we will. Though never do. Blood-shot cavernous swollen twitching eyes, clotted fleshbags full of stale saline; the cold sweat of a wearwolf bride. I know.

I can feel the blood-thirsty reverberations hit my midsection, interspersing their radiant loneliness on past nerve endings, fed-up fucking cells white and red alike, transmogrify peristalsis. Metallic taste almost causes one to lose footing after the sulfuric aftertaste concludes the vibratory response. When I smack at thine putrescent lips. Again, and another. Another and in vain hopes that I might but restore vibrant crimson to these ghastly chapped, beaten azure lips. Expedient stead replaces the typically loyal proud and strong. The lips burst like West Nile junkies in orgiastic rapture of registering the first vein of their parasitic night. What a fucking nanosecond that was!

What a parasitic night we're up against, what a parasitic night.

Now the language enters me again, I'm powerless in my stagnation. In the back of the throat seen synthetically . Resonating the crescendos, of a chord. A crescendo of a buildup of a feverishly languid, blood-shot cavernous swollen and twichting eye upon awakening, pleading incessantly for further sleep. No, not sleep proper, in the least bit. The most remote of a slight rats doublecross fuck in Washington. Of such terror somnolence brings the doomed, the anhedonic jellyfish mirage of a man who isn't you.

I repeat.

A MAN WHO ISN'T YOU.

_

End. Side note, why must we all rejoice in unity simultaneous, and suffer in the same fashion? I'm not saying it's psychic intervention. That's absurd, any rational person will tell you this.

I'm far from ruling it out.

These things, will pass.

(First thing I've written spontaneously since after my 9 day high dose tranquilizer withdrawal was finally, blissfully treated.)

-S.

The first time you tried to leave
I cashed in “right” and “wrong”
Didn't even think about it
Wasn't conflicted

The first time you tried to leave me
I did whatever I had to do
Because I knew
And I told you
I wouldn't be able to function without you

The second time you tried to leave
I'd had two days to think about it
And I realized, I almost lost you
Never again

The second time you tried to leave me
I didn't take any chances, whatsoever
It was then I knew
That second time
That I would do anything to keep you

Anything

You told me
On many occassions
That I never let you leave
But you had so man opportunities
Didn't you?

I used to think
That you were lucky
To have someone love you like that
Nobody ever obsessed over me like I did over you
Nobody ever will

I used to think
Maybe you faked break-ups
Like sometimes you needed a reminder
I figured that's why you stayed with me all those years
Because you knew you'd never be loved with such intensity

I figured that's why you married me
after years of us almost splitting
close to a decade of drug abuse
domestic violence
adultery and
insanity

The four hundred and eighty-seventh time you tried to leave
I'd grown tired of trying to convince you otherwise
I felt like, maybe, I was doing something wrong
But I kept doing it

The four hundred and eighty-seventh time you tried to leave me
I wasn't even sure if you liked me
I felt like some kind of maniac
Forcing a woman to stay

You had opportunities
Didn't you?
I don't understand
No, that's not true
I do understand

I am a maniac

Our relationship
Our marriage
Was unique

I didn't even know why I wanted you to stay that first time
I simply couldn't bear the idea of being without you
Now I know
That was my last relationship

Losing you
Meant losing my ability to love
It's been almost three years, now
And I haven't recovered at all

Digging digging digging.

I'll come up with a retort soon enough. Start work today!

Upon exhalation, he found himself surrounded by insects.

For the first time, through the fog of his breath, he could see.

They were ants, all of them.

Soldiers.

Workers.

Nothing more.

Zael smoked cautiously, never taking his eyes from the ants and their dripping mandibles.

�You're stoned, boy.�

Even his father, Goron the Bricklayer, had turned out to be a fool. The Obselette's jiggling neck-fat.

�He's a tree nymph,� said Lars, blowing rings of smoke into the ceiling.

�Yes,� replied Zael, �A-tree-nymph.� �And what are you?�

Lars stood up, causing the floor to tilt an extra ten or twenty degrees into the ground. Steam and mud rose from between the boards as they sank into the swamp. Craning his neck down from the immense ceiling, until his lips were inches from Zael's face, he said, �What?�

To which, Zael replied, �What makes you so special?�

Lars replied, �I, young Obselette, have built many houses.� As he spoke, the creators began muttering amongst themselves. Goron added, �It's true. We built the world you live in.�

Goron the Bricklayer did not defend his son. He defended civilization.

So began the horrible reign of Zael the Destroyer.

Righteous, passionate, he brought his hammer down against the walls of his village.

The skies, raining with mud and rock.

Where, underneath the architechtural avalanche, he built a shelter from the storm.

Where, upon exhalation, he found himself surrounded by insects.

The Ghost of David

“One plus two is three. No, hold on... Yeah. That's right. Had to think about that for a second. You know when you write a word down, sometimes it doesn't look right? That happens on account of rogue langoliers hopping randomly through time. They erase words from our brains. And smells.”

CheeseCake rotates twenty-seven degrees cuckoo clockwise, on his four-dimensonal axis.

“What I mean to say is, you never know. This, that, the other. Could be all three. Or none of them. Doesn't even matter what they are. You can't impose limits on the limitless. You can't assume we know what we do not know. So, one plus two is three. Wait... Yeah, three.”

The cuckoo clock strikes nine, ejecting a dead bird for every hour: three indian minors; a seagull; two baby emus; a parrot; four crows; and a raven. The cheesecake devours them, absorbing their wisdom. It is difficult to watch. My patience is running thin. I can't do this much longer.

“But, what if three doesn't exist? Or if there's a number in between one and two?”

An ectoplasmic reproduction of Michelangelo's David floats gently through the wall, hovering briefly in front of my face. CheeseCake, covered in blood and feathers, says “Dave.” To which the ghost nods, “CC”, before disappearing through the ceiling.

“How are we to know what is real, and what isn't?” I say, distracted by the fact that they have developed a first-name relationship. When did that happen? “For instance,” I continue. “The ghost, how do we know it even exists?” I might as well give up. My heart's not in it anymore.

“You're being silly.” CheeseCake rotates itself twenty-seven degrees, like a satellite dish. “If Dave doesn't exist, then maybe I don't either. Maybe you don't exist.”

“Maybe I don't.”

“Okay,” CheeseCake says, excreting an infant emu skeleton into a bowl of cornflakes. “But, where does the doubt come from? A man that doesn't exist can't question whether or not he does.”

Fuck. “I didn't think about that.”

“So you agree that you exist, then?”

I hate it when cakes outsmart me. Especially cheesecakes.

CC smiles. “Is that the only certainty? That you exist?”

After some thought I say, “Yes.”

“What about me? Am I a figment of your imagination?”

“Of course not.”

“Maybe I am.”

“I never meant to suggest that we don't exist, not seriously anyway. Just making a point.”

“But, take Dave,” CheeseCake says. “He's no less real than me or anyone else, is he?”

“I suppose it's possible that you don't exist.”

“So it's possible Dave does?”

“The ghost of a statue?” I laugh. “No.”

Meanwhile, in a parallel dimension, a travith – a humanesque creature that evolved from the three-toed sloth – says, “Flargan Pikochi.” Which translates too something like “Fuck you.”

David appears, floating through the wall. The travith nods, “Dave.”

The ghost replies, “Bristo,” hitch-hiking a ride on the dimensional super-highway.

Bristo's wife stabs him in the face with a salad fork.

“If you didn't exist,” I say. “Why would you be trying to convince me that you don't exist?”

“Try being a figment for a while,” CC replies. “It's pretty bleak.”

I don't know what to say, so I don't speak.

“If you stop believing in me, that's it.”

“So, what, you're trying to kill yourself?”

Samuel L. Jackson enters, stage-left, playing the role of Aldous the righteous black man. His role has three parts: the entry; a loud angry monologue; and the exit.

I share a joint with CheeseCake.

David descends from the ceiling. “CC,” he says. “Sam.”

Jackson breaks character, nodding “Dave.”

CheeseCake says, “Apparently you don't exist.”

Dave laughs.

Meanwhile, in Sri Lanka, a beached manatee is flirting with a middle-aged Spanish woman, sunbaking topless beside him. “You know,” he says. “When you write a word down, sometimes it doesn't look right?”

The woman, Juanita, rolls her eyes.

“It's langoliers,” says the manatee. There is an awkward silence.

The ghost of David emerges from the sand.

“Dave,” Juanita says.

“Juanita,” says Dave. “Jay.”

“Dave,” says the manatee. “I was just telling her about the langoliers.”

Michelangelo's translucent-green clay nudist is floating out to sea, about three foot above sea water. His voice is faint, already. He says, “What if there are no langoliers?”

The beached manatee, Professor Jay Dee Seawater, yells back, “Then there's no accounting for missing socks and deja vu, is there?”

David is nowhere to be seen. From the crashing waves, comes a voice. Hardly audible, something like, “What if there are no socks?”

CheeseCake is screaming as I cut a slice from the back of its head, shovelling it into my mouth.

“Don't worry,” I say. “You'll be fine.”

He laughs, hysterically. His voice is unsteady. “You want to have your cake,” he says, “and...” then he dies. I start bleeding from my eyeballs. Red tears. I am a penguin. I am the Eiffel Tower.

I am the Ghost of David.

I felt kind of terrorised after reading the two that ForEverAfter posted on 17/08 so I haven't read them all but holy shit, that is some awesome talent!