• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Need Help Arresting court is trying to cut me off Methadone! Trying to convince them otherwise...Help!

cabbagepatch31

Bluelighter
A little back story...I got arrested last may on my first felony charge: possession of a controlled substance >gram. I am addicted to heroin (IV), but I'm currently clean.

I started probation last September and have been on Methadone the entire time. I got arrested in a different county, but i report to the county I live in. The PO I report to is cool, and has known that I am on Methadone and supports it. Unfortunately, my arresting court isn't on board with me taking any kind of maintenance drug, apparently. Now, a year into probation, my PO says someone from my arresting county called her and told her I can't be on Methadone, or any other maintenance drug. I'm very concerned about this. I've tried to get off Methadone in the past and relapsed a little more than a month after. My PO feels the same way, but unfortunately she doesn't have much of a say in it.

I called the transfer officer last week to see if there was anything I could do to change their minds. She told me the court I'm out of doesn't allow anyone to be on any kind of medically assisted treatment. She said the only instance she has seen the court allow someone to be on methadone is if they have been prescribed it for years, or if they are prescribed it for pain. I asked her to staff my case anyway, and I have an appointment today with my original PO in that county. I have asked my counselor at the Methadone clinic to help me with some kind of print outs that I could bring that would help me with my case. She was no help at all. I went into her office a few days ago to see if she had done what I asked, of course, she had forgotten! I asked my teacher at the IOP class I take to give me any information, he didn't give me anything either. Everyone that I have approached about this tells me, "They can't do that! That's a violation of your rights! They can't tell you how to recover!" etc., but no one can give me any solid arguments on why I should be allowed to continue to take Methadone.

Methadone really does help me stay off heroin...It helps me with the cravings, depression, anxiety, I'm on just enough to where I couldn't really get high even if I tried (I have, and it's a waste on dope). If I really had to get off of it, I would of course do a long taper, like 1MG at a time. But the thing is...they urine test they give me doesn't even test for methadone! Obviously if they sent it off to a lab they would see I'm on it, and if they tell me I can't take it anymore, I could get into a lot of trouble for staying on it.
I just really don't know what to do here...Any information to help me plead my case would be extremely helpful, y'all! Also advice on how to tapper correctly, staying clean after the Methadone, things like that, if I end up having no other choice...Thanks y'all. I greatly appreciate any help!!!

You got over a years worth of probation just for a gram of heroin?
What country you live in?

That is so harsh, I'm in the UK & for a gram of heroin you would get a fine of a couple hundred dollars & maybe a short DTTO (Drug testing & Treatment Order) from the Court at worst.

I wish I could advice you what to do but I have no clue where to even begin. I will tell you though over here if you have a Court order to get clean off heroin & you go to the meth clinic they CAN tell if you have been taking methadone via a urine test without question.

I think you are going to have quite a brutal rattle (withdrawl) ahead of you sadly.

You need to call your lawyer in the arresting county. They will back down at that point. If your not on drug court or something "voluntary" like that then I don't think they can do that.

This is treading really close to legal discussion which isn't allowed. But this is an issue close to my heart so if anyone has any experience go for it.

The county I was arrested in let me stay on mmt but that was in Alabama