Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ⭐⭐⭐

• ⭐⭐⭐⭐

• ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

• Total voters
Just watched the first episode......IMO they definitely still got it! It might be me though, but the first episode was totally on point and was disappointing in no ways....feels exactly like it should! :)<3

I haven't started watching yet, but am sooo amped! I just finished the series again yesterday and can't wait to see more! I forgot just how funny that show was.

I've only seen the first new episode, but I laughed pretty damn hard at what I saw. This makes me very happy.

I've only seen the first new episode, but I laughed pretty damn hard at what I saw. This makes me very happy.
Glad everyone's on the same page.....figured it wouldn't just be me! I'll try not to spoil anything....but I absolutely love where they took the story...and all the characters..? They look exactly on point like you would have expected them to given a few years time...no one and no thing seemed out of place and the pace was right on point!

I've only watched the first 5 episodes and the first few minutes of the 6th, but it's better than I had expected and some of the episodes have been actually laugh out loud funny, just like the first few seasons. There's a bunch of references to the earlier seasons, which I'm sure any fan is going to appreciate. Since this isn't on TV I like how they were able to make episodes longer than normal and different lengths of time. It seems like they're mainly around 30 minutes long instead of the 21/22 that they were before.

My favorite episode so far was Tobias' Arrested Development, though it was funnier after watching Lindsay's. I'm probably just going to keep going in the order that they're in on Netflix, but does anyone know which episode is Gob's Arrested Development?

So far I'm really excited about this and have yet to feel any twinges of disappointment. Hopefully the rest of the episodes are just as good! :D

^
Mark Cherry's Getaway song inspired by Getaway (Gob) has been stuck in my head all day.

Damn, I thought there were 16 episodes, but there's only 15 and I'm almost done with episode 13! Nooooo! :(

Maeby and George Michaels episodes were funnier than I thought they would be. The only thing I've been disappointed with is that there has been hardly any Buster. I think Barry Zuckerkorn has been on more than him.

Does anyone know if they were still planning on doing a movie or if they plan on doing any more seasons?

I don't get why there's so many negative reviews. I feel like people had WAYYY too high of expectations.

I expected it to be bad, so it's probably why I've been so pleased with the episodes so far. Even the original seasons were funnier the second time around and with the structure being the way it is the new season is probably even funnier the second time around as well.

Edit:
Just finished. I'm assuming there must be either a movie or another season coming as they left things pretty open-ended. Overall was glad to have watched a new season of Arrested Development. It did feel a little off since all the characters weren't together. This is a show where every character offered something to the table one of the reasons why the first few seasons were so awesome. The way they interacted with each other was one of the funnier aspects of the show, but the newer episodes don't have nearly as much of that. I still really enjoyed the new season, but the separation of the characters was disappointing. I imagine it was partially done this way because they probably couldn't schedule everyone together at the same time. Anyhow, probably will start re-watching again tonight!

Last edited:
I’ve watched the fourth season "in order” through the second Michael episode and like it better than the original first three seasons so far. As I understand it, the biggest reason for separating the characters so much is to attempt to tell a new type of story that takes advantage of the all-at-once-binge-watching-and-re-watching habits of Netflix subscribers. The story was designed for a new format and viewing experience, so it was always going to be inherently different from what it was before.

Arrested Development was originally canceled largely because it was ahead of its time. Its highly intertextual style couldn’t be followed by enough people because there was a week between shows to lose track of what was being alluded to by all the backwards glancing nods the show made to itself every few seconds. The new season seems to take this approach to a new level. It’s like seasons 1 through 3 in a hall of mirrors, while also doing more meta-narrative stuff and tossing in a far higher level of non-linear storytelling. I’m amazed at how well it’s been handled so far, but I’m not surprised at all if fans of the older seasons feel alienated or intimidated by the juggling act. To me it's hilarious and I think they've outdone themselves, but I also can tell it’s the sort of thing scholars of media history are undoubtedly writing journal articles about as we speak.

only four eps in, and i'm not enjoying it as much as i had hoped. it's getting better with each, but i don't think i laughed at all in the first ep.

and portia de rossi looks so different it is quite distracting. i even had to look up to see if it was actually her. she looks like an olsen twin now. :(

^
You get used to her. George Michael and Maeby look quite a bit different too, and it takes a little while of watching them before you adjust to their newer look. If you think Portia de Rossi looks real different wait until you see Steve Holt. Steve Holt!

The first episode is funnier the second time around, as is the second episode. China Garden (one of Oscar's new friends, she first appears in the 2nd episode) is freaking hilarious. I definitely wouldn't watch with high expectations or you'll likely be disappointed.

only four eps in, and i'm not enjoying it as much as i had hoped. it's getting better with each, but i don't think i laughed at all in the first ep.

and portia de rossi looks so different it is quite distracting. i even had to look up to see if it was actually her. she looks like an olsen twin now. :(
They acknowledged the fact that she's had work done in a joke where George Senior adjusts the cartilage of her nose a little later so wait for that. I think they made that concession to viewers in a fairly graceful and self-deprecating way. I'm not finished yet but so far this is greatness.

Last edited:
Finished the new season a few days ago. LOVED IT! The separation of the characters was different, but I loved how every character had their own episode. Kudos to Netflix!!! And Carl..... Charlie (your icon) is my pretend husband. Love him sooooooo much!!!! Love that show. Soon to get a Charlie tattoo.

So far really enjoying it, bearing in mind we all had the highest of expectations I reckon they did well. Small issues would be the lack of buster and also because each episodes focuses on a certain character sometimes I feel the episode is too concentrated with said character, obviously that is perfectly fair but when it's an annoying or tedious person then you feel like you need some refreshing scenes with more input from others.

Loving Tobias and the anustart episode. Loving Lucille, she's gorgeous. Portia Dr Rossi looks strange but I'm getting used to it. Need more buster and Tobias!

I'm being really overtly critical though. Over all brilliant! So glad that Netflix gave them that opp. Power to the fans

Fackin' lovin' it.....only a few more left....:(
Yeah, that's too bad but I'm thinking something with so much self-reflexivity and subtle goofiness it will have a lot of replay value. Also, I heard they're trying to do a movie, which will likely be green lit if it hasn't already since so far as I can tell the new season has been very well received.

To anybody who hasn't started watching it: do not try watching the episodes out of order. Despite the fact that you "can" do this there is a very definite narrative logic to the default ordering that clearly has to inform viewing to get some of the humor in "later" episodes.

I thought it started off really wierd and looked even more low-budget and thrown together than it used to. First couple episodes were very strange, with some scenes looking like they cut&pasted recordings of the actors in different location but edited them together. Especially the scenes with Portia De Rossi and David Cross where they're driving and exploring their new huge house seemed very strange.

Portia De Rossi was my biggest reason for watching AD, I think she's hilarious and gorgeous. Didn't even recognize her in the beginning and was pretty shocked that anyone would do that to such a beautiful woman. Half her face doesn't move when she's talking and it freaks me out. I still think the surgeon who did it deserves a spanking, but I'm getting used to the new duckface. Too bad she now looks like every other plastic hag from Hollywood.
Most of the cast seem pretty tired and lacking the spark and enthusiasm they had in the first 3 seasons. Not without reason it was difficult to produce a fourth season I imagine.

Last edited: