• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Stimulants Are Z-drugs good for stim comedowns?

Jabberwocky

Frumious Bandersnatch
Are things like zoplicone and zolpidem as effective as benzos for stim comedowns?

Not quite as effective as benzos but more effective than say alcohol or diphenhydramine.

The problem with z-drugs for comedowns is that they are highly selective for the alpha 1 subunit of the GABA-A receptor, which makes them highly sedating but not so great in reducing anxiety (their hallucinogenic properties could even compound the problem). Most benzodiazepines have significantly greater affinity for the alpha 2 subunit which means they reduce anxiety more than z-drugs.

That said z-drugs still reduce anxiety. Only risk would be a high dose of z-drugs (say 30mg or more of zolpidem) combined with residual stimulants in one system, may result in some bizarre behavior, like driving intoxicated, black-outs while ambulatory, etc.

I used eszopiclone effectively to sleep after meth or amphetamines. It doesn't overpower the stims like benzos do, but it gets the job done. I usually had to take around 6-9mg, but it works.

Zolpidem makes a nice stoning, calming anxiolytic but it lasts only for 1-2h. But out of all the relatives, pagoclone might be the best one. Sad that it isn't on the market anymore (ok it maybe is but for an astronomic price).

Agree to negrogesic here.

Zopiclone works awesome for my meth comedowns, I can be on a mad binge and take one 7.5mg and be sleeping within the hour.

I'd say no as the amounts you need to do anything would just make you hallucinate.