• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

Are You Superstitious?

Last summer I had an experience with a wild crow that landed on my car. It walked around on the sunroof looking in at the two of us then hopped down onto the windshield wiper and stared directly at us both and made a lot of "talking" type sounds.

My buddy had his door open part way and was about to exit when he started to panic a bit saying that crows were an evil talisman and we needed to chase it away.

I said I think it wants a cookie. The crow had hopped on the frame of the partly open passenger door and was bobbing it's head down to look directly in at my slightly paniced friend, by this point I had expressed my disbelief in anything superstitious so I exited the vehicle walked to the back and opened the hatch where I had some cookies. The crow hopped across the roof of the car and jumped on the hatch as it was rising. When it stopped going up the crow hopped down onto my shoulder and watched intently while I was unwrapping a cookie.

I gave the crow the cookie and he flew off. I can't remember ever feeding a wild bird from my hand before so this was a new experience and my buddy did manage to video the last bit where I'm leaning away from a crow on my shoulder while trying not to panic it, his beak was maybe 20 cm from my eye.

Had I bought into the superstitious belief I would have missed a moment that is much more rare. Fear can rob us of great experiences and superstitious belief is always fears someone else put into our heads.

That's so cool! Crows are totally fascinating and very intelligent.