• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Are there any good SNDRIs yet?

wasn't there a big ol' chart of compounds with DAT/SERT/NET affinities listed on wiki?
also: "major antidepressants"? There are too many to count, off the top of my head: amitryptiline, (es)citalopram, (des)venlafaxine, sertraline, mirtazepine, selegiline, moclobemide, etc.

I was able to get:
SERT/NET/DAT

Sertraline
0.4 / 420 / 22

Fluvoxamine
2.5 / 1,427

Fluoxetine
1 / 660 / 4,180

Escitalopram
0.8 / 7,800 / 27,400

Duloxetine
0.8 / 7.5 / 240

Venlafaxine
82 / 24,280 / 7,647

Desvenlafaxine
40.2 / 558.4

Paroxetine
0.34 / 156 / 490

Desipramine
17.6-163 / 0.63-3.5 / 3,190

I wonder what DAT was for those missing it?

Metabolites can play a big role, too. For example, an active metabolite of zoloft is more highly an NDRI than the parent compound, and I think it highly affects the effect.

I'm amazed sertraline's DAT affinity is so high.
Its close relatives tametraline (dideschloro trans-sertraline) and indatraline (one carbon removed from the central cyclohexane ring & trans groups) are both NDRI drugs, I believe they are stimulants? But yeah, it's crazy - it's DAT affinity is higher than buproprion even.

Also trans sertraline seems to be a good SNDRI.

Last edited:
I finally found binding affinities for cocaine. At monoamine transporter receptors:

TransporterCocaine affinity (nanomolar) (human!)HDMP-28 affinity (nanomolar)Methylphenidate affinity (nanomolar)Ethylphenidate affinity (nanomolar)
DAT23033131[1]/163[2]230
NET480????82[1]/206[2]3700
SERT74076>10000>10000

As the chart indicates, HDMP-28 resembles cocaine in its DAT/SERT ratio, but methylphenidate analogues in general tend to have higher NET affinity than DAT affinity, whereas cocaine is the reverse. I suppose this probably helps explain why HDMP-28 has been an inferior replacement to cocaine. Ethylphenidate however shows higher DAT binding than NET binding but also has no serotonin affinity. (Note that the Ki ratio for methylphenidate from [2] is reversed from the IC50 ratio, which may indicate an artifact of data analysis. The DAT:NET inhibition ratio of both MPH and EPH is probably somewhat lower than suggested by [2].)

User reports indicate that ethylphenidate is boring and HDMP-28 is uncomfortable. It seems the pushout of the methyl->ethyl and phenyl->naphthyl morphisms would be the next step. From Davies et al it appears that adding a detoxifying 6-methoxy to naphthalene does not abolish binding, although it is hard to say about SERT affinity because it was only tried with the pyrrolidine analog of HDMP-28, which has ultra-high SERT affinity. So I await the appearance of 6'-methoxyethylnaphthidate, although the ring-unsubstituted compound is more likely to appear.

Also, based on these numbers, RR-sertraline is the most likely to be good.

Cocaine affinities from Han, D. D.; Gu, H. H. BMC Pharmacology, 2006, 6 (1), 6. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2210-6-6.

HDMP-28 affinities from Davies, H. M. L.; Hopper, D. W.; Hansen, T.; Liu, Q.; Childers, S. R. Synthesis of Methylphenidate Analogues and Their Binding Affinities at Dopamine and Serotonin Transport Sites. Bioorganic & Medicinal Chemistry Letters, 2004, 14 (7), 1799–1802. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bmcl.2003.12.097.

Methylphenidate [1] and 4-fluoromethylphenidate affinites from McLaughlin, G.; Morris, N.; Kavanagh, P. V.; Power, J. D.; Dowling, G.; Twamley, B.; O’Brien, J.; Hessman, G.; Murphy, B.; Walther, D.; et al. Analytical Characterization and Pharmacological Evaluation of the New Psychoactive Substance 4-Fluoromethylphenidate (4F-MPH) and Differentiation between the (±)-Threoand (±)-Erythrodiastereomers. Drug Testing and Analysis, 2017, 9 (3), 347–357. https://doi.org/10.1002/dta.2167.

Methylphenidate [2] and ethylphenidate affinities from Patrick, K. S.; Corbin, T. R.; Murphy, C. E. Ethylphenidate as a Selective Dopaminergic Agonist and Methylphenidate–Ethanol Transesterification Biomarker. Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, 2014, 103 (12), 3834–3842. https://doi.org/10.1002/jps.24202.

Last edited:
I knew cocaine's (the Wikipedia page "List of cocaine analogues" has them) but it's interesting to note the affinity at DAT is the same as ethylphenidate. I remember using that as an RC. Sure notice the lack of SERT affinity. Cocaine also has less entrophy of binding ratio than the 'phenidates.

Just want to know is Hexen the closest I’m going to get to my ethylphenidate - loved it. Tried every tv and nothing as good as ethyl. Ideas?

I fattened up the SNDRI page considerably. Please come and take a look.