• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Are shrooms good in any mental state or will I be psychologically destroyed?

falsifiedhypothesi

Bluelight Crew
Due to the recent expanding horizons of old friends I've got the chance to do shrooms with a trusted lifelong friend. I've always been weary of psychedelics as I've had terrible experiences on weed and synthetic cannabinoids. I would like to do shrooms, I've heard it can be a very positive experience.

For the past 5 or so years I've been heavily depressed, as a consequence I've had a predisposition to bad trips, high anxiety, and panic attacks. I've heard shrooms can aid with depression and I've also heard that bad trips can psychologically wreck some people. The last thing I need right now is ego death and/or a brutal mental reminder of how i am allowing life to pass me by. I've already had these kinds of experiences on high doses of synth noids and weed, they were far from beneficial or pleasant.

Since I would be using the shrooms in a very comfortable setting with a trusted childhood friend I feel it could be a positive experience. Has anyone else taken shrooms in a depressed mindset with positive results? I'd like some opinions before I dive right into this adventure.

Well being in a bad mental state is bad when using psychedelics technically but not the worst. Psychedelics have brought me personally out of bad mental states many times before, personally. Mushrooms can go either way for me, their either very euphoric or in your face. I can't speak for you personally, but just because you don't like weed does not mean you won't like shrooms.

I think you'll be okay as long as you do in it in secure, comfortable surrounding(it seems you have), on a day your in a good mental state your not terribly depressed. Also it would be the best if you could find a beznodiazepine so if anything does end going sideways or its to intense and your uncomfortable you can calm down just in case.

Since I would be using the shrooms in a very comfortable setting with a trusted childhood friend I feel it could be a positive experience. Has anyone else taken shrooms in a depressed mindset with positive results? I'd like some opinions before I dive right into this adventure.

Yes, but there are several caveats. First off, when I took mushrooms for the first time in my 'current' life (as opposed to once 26 years ago), I was very depressed. Mushrooms were like a gift that the Gods gave to me, I took a lot of precautions....

1) I grew my own, so I *knew* that they were the real deal.
2) A very small dose (0.67g) for my first trip while I assessed what they could do, recovery time, effect on my appetite, interactions with my antihypertensive meds and so on
3) I always do them in what *I* consider the perfect environment; at home and with my 3 dogs/2 cats.
4) Plenty of healthy snacks, light fruit juices and other goodies should my appetite and thirst occur.
5) Lots of distractions that I like (favourite movies, 2 favourite video games and a limited selection of music and OTR radio shows).

Now, that's just me, and if you are depressed (and I don't know how much, for what reasons and whether or not you take any meds for it), you'd want to tread very carefully. People get different things out of mushrooms; me, I am given a sense of wonder and amazement that there can still be beautiful things in the world. It also destroys the clinical sense of over analysis that my education and career has handed me, albeit briefly. And for 2-3 days after, I am left with an afterglow that positively affects how I interact with other people. The lowest dose I am inclined to take currently is 2 grams (preferred dose is 5+ grams).

Good luck, take care and hopefully it will be good if you choose to try them.

Tom

It only works well for me if I'm really okay, mentally speaking- not to mention 'safe'.

I was thinking about taking some oxycodone beforehand not so much to blunt the trip but just enough to put me into a very positive base state so the trip will have a good foundation. I keep hearing that psychedelics should be done purely on their own. I'm not sure why trips are so sacred that they shouldn't be contaminated but having a positive experience should be the priority here.

I was actually hoping to hear that just because I don't enjoy weed doesn't mean I won't enjoy shrooms. I know this doesn't guarantee I won't have a bad trip but it's good to know.

I think shrooms from a depressed mindset can really go either way. Just keep your dose low, I think somewhere around 2 g is a good place to start if you are using cubes. Trippy but not overwhelming. I have found them therapeutic on a number of occasions but sometimes they aren't very social. Sometimes I prefer to be by myself for that kind of experience but sometimes a close friend is good to have nearby.

I wouldn't over analyze the weed situation as help pointed out. Weed isn't at all similar to psychs, well, maybe mildly, but they work on different receptors. I've had some of the most uncomfortable trips of my life on the synth noids. For one reason or another though I kept using them lol. That shit was a strange addiction for sure, I think I was addicted to getting scared, I kind of liked it. I think for a lot of people noids can be pretty anxiogenic though so I really wouldn't sweat it too hard.

Definitely keep a benzo on hand or some phenibut maybe. Thing that sucks about phenibut is that it takes about two hours before it works so the trip might be over by the time it kicks in. If you have access to an AP you can abort that fucker entirely if things go south.

Hope it goes well for you, just try and let go, relax, and you should be all good. :)

Low dose.
That's another thing I was considering as well. I've been told to just take an eighter like everyone else but I don't think my friends realize the extent of my low tolerance to most drugs. I'm not even sure where to start since I don't know the potency of the shrooms nor how much would be a threshold dose.

That's another thing I was considering as well. I've been told to just take an eighter like everyone else but I don't think my friends realize the extent of my low tolerance to most drugs. I'm not even sure where to start since I don't know the potency of the shrooms nor how much would be a threshold dose.

Definitely don't do an eighth man. That is a pretty strong experience for most people.

Thanks for the quick responses everyone I really appreciate it.

I wasn't going to take an eighth, just explaining the situation. I also had that strange addiction to synth cannabinoids and weed so I'm glad to hear there's someone else out there that feels the same about them.

Opiates are very good anxiolytics for me, would they work well during a bad trip instead of benzos? I have access to Xanax but I've got a bad history with it and would like to avoid it if possible.

Yes, but benzos are more predictable in a sense.If you know though, that you can use opioids without chance for say, more recurring further use, then I would say that's fine to use before tripping. Opioids and psychedelics can be highly euphoric in the right mixture of dosages. If not I'd just have Xanax on hand but apporiate the dose because idk what you mean by "bad history"....

In my opinion- shrooms are nature's antidepressant. I have taken them within many different frames of mind but have never experienced a "bad trip" as I have on LSD and salvia. I think it depends more on what you do when you take them and what you're looking for from your trip rather than frame of mind.

Well that's the individual condrum of it. Mushrooms for me aren't my thing but I'll dose LSD anyday! At certain doses mushrooms aren't bad, pure 4-HO-DMT is amazing, but 4-Ac0-DMT higher than 35mgs isn't. Don't let that get you down though OP, you just need to find what you like, and are most comfortable with! Even rough experiences are always worthwhile and many, including me agree there some of the ones you get the most from!

I would say as long as you are relatively calm and you clear your mind things usually go ok.

It is best to not think about your problems. So try to clear your mind.

I had bad anxiety that was untreated when I first started tripping and I have never had a bad trip to this day and I trip alot.

I can't guarantee you will have a good time. Maybe stretch out a bit, wear comfy clothes, have some nice pillows and blankets to cuddle up with, some cold drinks in the fridge, some good music, and maybe a couple benzos on hand in case you feel nervous. I am not advocating benzos but they work for me.

Everyone is different but I always found shrooms rather mellow compared to lets say LSD which is fine by me but not everyone. I like shrooms, I really do. I do find there are some deep thoughts and rather interesting visions. I found meaningful thoughts in my shroom trips and it is one of my favorite trips.

That being said I can handle just about any trip, but is just me. I have tripped shrooms in public and in nightclubs and it was all gravy. Like I said everyone is different.

The thing is to know yourself. I know if you are in a state of distress when you are about to dose it would be best to not dose. If you have some drama leave it at the door of wherever you plan to trip.

So clear your mind, chill out, and go with the flow. You can't really fight what is happening. I have found you can turn a negative feeling around in a trip rather quick to a positive one if you focus. I have had neurotic moments but killed them within a second while tripping. I suppose I just won't let my mind go there.

I personally like unlocking different parts of my brain and exploring the realms of my own psyche combined with hallucigenic drugs. I really do. I am rather open minded as to a train of thought. I like a new perspective. I always am searching for new experiences and more often than not drugs are part of it.

Tripping has seemed to make me feel more happy for a while after doing it. It really perks my mood up. If you are down in the dumps I doubt it will make you freak out. I am not exactly the most positive person 24/7 but I pull through. I suppose I work through the bad times just to have the good times. I have been through a great deal of shit but it has never stopped me from being able to drop my drama and get down with whatever I wanted to.

I don't think sythenic gas station weed would make me feel good and hell I never tried the shit and that is probably the only drug I have not done mainly cuz I heard it was shit.

The last thing I need right now is ego death and/or a brutal mental reminder of how i am allowing life to pass me by. I've already had these kinds of experiences on high doses of synth noids and weed, they were far from beneficial or pleasant.

sometime the truth is unpleasant, ya feel me? if you're one of those ignorance is bliss people, i wouldn't do psychedelics..

the thing about psychedelics, especially tryptamines, is that they will remind you of the stuff you're trying to suppress, and shove it right it your face. People do psychedelics because they want to get something out of it, and face these fears head on. When you're tripping hard, you have no choice. And many people come to terms with whatever it is and have a positive experience. But it's rough when you don't want to think critically about whatever your problems are, that's for sure.

If you're just trying to have a fun time, try one of the less deep psychedelics like 5-meo-mipt or 2C-I/B, or empathogens like MDMA.

I guess what it comes down to is whether you think you're ready to change or not

In my opinion- shrooms are nature's antidepressant. I have taken them within many different frames of mind but have never experienced a "bad trip" as I have on LSD and salvia. I think it depends more on what you do when you take them and what you're looking for from your trip rather than frame of mind.

Like it was said before - for a depressed mind, I believe it can go either way.
I´ve seen a lot of bad trips from outside and it´s quite shocking sometimes. How difficult it is to calm someone who is going though their worst nightmare.
I´ve had a bad trips before and good ones too, but have never considered this to work as a antidepressant.
On the contrary, IMO you need to be very calm and sort of centered so you may enjoy it. Besides, everyone advises to do this with a friend, in a calm environment.
These are precautions people take so they feel safe. I don´t think antidepressants work like that, unless this is really your thing.

Last edited:
Low doses of shrooms .5-1 gram have given me the uplifted mood without the dark introspection. Post #15 is about spot on though.

Maybe you are right. Who knows for sure.
It´s interesting how you disagree with whatever I say, post by post, no matter what subject we are talking about. Ha!

sometime the truth is unpleasant, ya feel me? if you're one of those ignorance is bliss people, i wouldn't do psychedelics..

the thing about psychedelics, especially tryptamines, is that they will remind you of the stuff you're trying to suppress, and shove it right it your face. People do psychedelics because they want to get something out of it, and face these fears head on. When you're tripping hard, you have no choice. And many people come to terms with whatever it is and have a positive experience. But it's rough when you don't want to think critically about whatever your problems are, that's for sure

I understand the truth hurts but I already beat the shit out of myself with the truth on a daily basis, I may be wrong but I don't think I need to be kicked while down.

I think I'll try 1-2 grams to start with and if I enjoy that I will try slightly larger doses, or maybe redose a gram or two. Is redosing effective when trying to get a more intense trip or will it just extend the effects?