• MDMA &
    Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

Are people who roll at raves not " true ravers"

raves were held in warehouses because at the time, the music that was played at raves was not mainstream. it was very underground. Club owners would not allow a DJ to come in and play that kind of music because they knew it wouldn't make them money. the style of music wouln't attract large crowds. the only place you could setup a DJ and have enough room for 30-40 friends to dance in a big urban city like New York or Chicago was in one of the abandoned warehouses. that's why raves first started in abandon warehouses
after the parties got big enough and popularity grew, clubs like NASA were opened in legit buildings
there was the same amount of drug use going on in the abandon warehouse raves compared to clubs like NASA or even compared to most of the clubs opened today
[This message has been edited by Lane (edited 03 August 2001).]

What kills me is the people who say parties don't promote drug use... THEN WHY THE FUCK DO HALF THE PARTIES I GO TO HAVE VENDORS SELLING PASSIFIERS? Do you think they sell them cause it's a fashion statement or something? Anyone with half a brain cell knows what they're used for. And if that's not promoting drug use, I don't know what is.

but where's the merit in being a "true raver", do you get a badge or something, like the boy scouts?

DOING DRUGS AT RAVES MEANS NOTHING AT ALL,
IF YOU ONLY GO TO RAVES TO EAT DRUGS THEN
YOU'RE AT THE WRONG PLACE,RAVES ARE MORE
BOUT THE MUSIC,VIBE,MEETIN PEOPLE AND HAVIN
GOOD TIME THEN IF YOU WANNA TAKE SOMETHING
THEN DO IT,I BELIEVE USING DRUGS AT RAVES
ADDS TO SOME OF THE FUN NOT ALL OF IT.
AND WHO CARES AOUT BEING A TRUE RAVER JUST BE
TRUE TO YOUR SELF THATS THE MOST IMPORTANT,
THING TO DO AT RAVES,AND IN THE OUTSIDE WORLD.

DOING DRUGS AT RAVES MEANS NOTHING AT ALL,
IF YOU ONLY GO TO RAVES TO EAT DRUGS THEN
YOU'RE AT THE WRONG PLACE,RAVES ARE MORE
BOUT THE MUSIC,VIBE,MEETIN PEOPLE AND HAVIN
GOOD TIME THEN IF YOU WANNA TAKE SOMETHING
THEN DO IT,I BELIEVE USING DRUGS AT RAVES
ADDS TO SOME OF THE FUN NOT ALL OF IT.
AND WHO CARES AOUT BEING A TRUE RAVER JUST BE
TRUE TO YOUR SELF THATS THE MOST IMPORTANT,
THING TO DO AT RAVES,AND IN THE OUTSIDE WORLD.

hmm..
i didn't do E until i was about a year into the scene, then did a bit for a while and stopped, because of tolerance and concerns about negativity.
as far as i'm concerned i get to give myself the oldskewl title because i have highly legitimate claims towards raverization in 1995 and that's old enough. at any rate, i've been in the scene a whole damned lot longer than 98% of the other kids, who are therefore in no position to tell me i don't get some special title in exchange for it.
raving is pretty harsh: you deal with social turnover, physical exhaustion, watching the scene decline and stuff like that. therefore, after some period of time you get to call yourself oldskool and wow, it's worlds of plur. (not that i'd call myself oldskool around anyone who wasn't new. especially someone who started with the orbital parties...)
on true ravers: i am a true raver, trust. after a few minutes, i could tell you if you were too... you might roll, you might not, but if you're true you will have some special quality that makes this your scene.
like this:

We are and were the few and the great of the ended world, who chose not to become trapped in the gears and wires of the great machine, but to become one with the iron and copper, and to celebrate the crackling energy at each moment.
For a blazing eternity we seized madly at the levers and wheels of the machine, we groped in the darkness for a pulsing mass of life, we cried in the thunder for a kindred spirit, and we found in the madness what it meant to be alive...

... which should show you there aren't many people in the true raver category at all.
so, these labels... all of them have negative connotations. any newbie will throw you into the reject bin if you call their all-night techno dance party a "rave", once they find that out. therefore people seem to think of dirty candy e-tards when they think of "ravers".
[i think either of the glorious eight-foot-tall heroic knights in phat pants that once towered above me in the elder days, or of the snobby little bastards that replaced them, depending on context. =)]
"party kid" makes me think of someone who's experienced enough to know about the toxicity of the R-word, but not really fully matured. they're there primarily for fun, to party, and it actually makes me think of e-tards more than "raver" does.
then you got your subgenres, all of which have some negative connotation to various incompatible groups. mean junglists, techno snobs, e-tarded candies, mainstream tranceheads, and so on.
this is why, after 6 years of electronic music, i still do not have one of those neat little classifications.

short version
whoever said "dont fuck with raving or raving will fuck with you", yes, that's perfect.
clarifications about oldskoolness
you are not oldskool if you started in 99.
or 2000.
the time it takes depends on how intense you are.. if you party twice a weekend (like i did =)) you might become an oldskool burnout in 3 or 4 years (like i did =)).. if you party once every 2 months, it might take longer.
2. throw out "party kid"; "raver" has no negative connotations, dammit. it's just a word. and it dates from the early 60's.

on true ravers: i am a true raver, trust. after a few minutes, i could tell you if you were too... you might roll, you might not, but if you're true you will have some special quality that makes this your scene.
ROFLMAO!!
Oooh, look at me, I'm oldskool!
Look, take it from one who's been on the scene in the UK since 1990, theres no such thing as a 'true raver'. Its all bollox.
If you like partying and you haven't got an attitude, then you're OK. If you've got an attitude, then you can fuck off. If you think you're superior 'cos you've been on the scene since 1995, you can fuck off as well.
End of story.
------------------
viva acid house

Always look with extreme suspicion upon anyone who tells you they know what is and what is not a 'true' anything, cos chances are they are just trying to build some phony elitism to boost their shrivelled little ego.
Now class, repeat after me:
If you go to raves, you are a raver.
If you go to clubs, you are a clubber.
If you fuck, you are a fucker.
------------------
If it's orange and fuzzy, it's FoXy....
"Ed Meese should be ass-fucked by an acid-crazed elk."-Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
The study of science is the study of the anatomy of God...spirituality is the psychology....

FoX is a fucker.
wink.gif

ok..why the fuck do u need to take a pill for energy for 8+ hours...the comedown of a pill, especially at the end usualyl makes u tired. Why dont u try drinking red bull throughout the night or sum ephedrine.Itll save u money and yer brain(unless they charge ridiculous prices for red bull at the party) Personally u shouldnt even attempt to dance for 8+ straight thru, this isnt a dance-till-you drop contest. U are allowed to rest and still bop yer head to the music.
Anyways yeah...

blagsta:
actually that's exactly what i mean.
i think i just said it too idealistically.
the "real" ravers are the ones who get the most out of the scene.. people who really have fun with it.
so i don't think i'm any better because i've been doing it since 1995, or because i know track names. there's extremely cool people in the scene who couldn't trainspot 1999 or sandstorm. occasionally there's even cool newbies.
this is why i think im real:
i don't do anything to hurt the scene, and try to protect it. this means not being mean to people, not dying of overdose, and so on.
and my attitude is not to be taken seriously (i am, technically, one of the snobby ones). i don't really think my record bag makes me better than other people, but i pretend it does because some people would think it did.
and i really, really like it. quality here isn't always that high and i do get annoyed by some things, but invariably what i'll come away remembering is hearing that one track i've never heard at a party before, or even a track that has a sample i like.

I ALWAYS roll, but seriously if the e wasn't there, i'd still be bumpin it on the dance floor. JUNGLE kicks ass.
So the people who aren't real ravers are the ones who keep trying to differentiate the "real ravers" from the fake ones. Seriously don't be so closed minded as to shut people out of your scene.
PS i've never been a candy kid, but i would really miss them if they were gone, and people on their first rolls kick ass, sure they can follow you around a lot and seem to want to get hugs from eveyone, but you should all remember your roots and that wonderful magical feeling you felt your first time.
Actually i do take it back i really can't stand the ravers who are too young (below 16), but thats the only people i'd ever think of keeping out of the parties