Are online Doctors legal?

Rednkbearoregon

Bluelighter
Sorry not sure where to put this, I did a search and didn't find any info in here. Are online doctors really legal and can they prescribe meds? I thought it was illegal in the US to send narcotics thru the mail

Last edited by a moderator:
i doubt theyre legal but if they are advertising U.S. schedule II then they are probably scams

Last edited by a moderator:
Technically, no of course they're not legal but some will send you controlled prescription drugs anyway. Caveat emptor.

Depends on the substance, like whether it is federally scheduled II or III drug.

Depends on the state. Some states have stricter rules governing mail order pharma than others.

Depends on the circumstances. Is it a pill mill? Is there a legit medical process involved?

Actually, there's some good legal* arguments for online doctors being legal. Since your average every day doctor can actually prescribe you medications over the phone, and often will prescribe you medications based only on notes taken by a nurse, there's some good precedents for doctors talking to you online and prescribing medications based on your comments from such.

*IANAL

They walk a fine line...A few years ago the industry was booming off of a loophole in the system. However the DEA Administrator Karen Tandy has seemingly developed this Office of Diversion Control and one of the issues that they target is illegal online prescribing. Some states have laws that require a face to face consultation by a physician before a legal prescription can be written. This is not a federal law though, and many of the OPs operate within this fine line. Now they almost all require recent medical records, and a legit ID. The DEA is really shutting a lot of these places down stating unethical practice and unscrupulous record keeping as the basis for the complaint.