• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Are meeting necessary

guidog

Bluelighter
If I have taken hydrocodone for over 20 years do I need to attend meeting to stay clean. I quit 70 days ago.

you don't *need* to attend anything, at least meetings.

if you ARE still addicted, rehabilitation centers [voluntary] are an option.

If you want to...I mean if you have been clean on your own for 70 days, congrats, you did it without a meeting..but if you feel your gonna use again it might help to go to one, but you definately do not HAVE to to stay clean.

It's a really personal thing...lots of people love meetings, get a lot out of them, etc. I have never liked them that much. If you feel they might help, why not check one out?

Some people are big into AA or NA meetings and enjoy them and feel that they provide structure and networking for helping them stay sober, and others are not into AA or NA or any type of 12 step or non-12 step recovery meeting.

If you're still physically addicted and use them rehab/treatment centers are an option as XANAX XR posted.

AA/NA would love for you to believe that it is an absolute necessity of sobriety that you attend their meetings. That's patently false, however I won't go any further as to why, other than to say, no, meetings are not necessary for recovery.

Don't let *anyone* tell you that 12 step programs are the only answer, that you are "broken" forever because you are addicted, 12 step programs only work for some. Others, like myself, just decided they just needed to grow up and stop a set number of bad behaviors . Not everyone who grew up and solved their negative issues absolutely had to stop using chemicals to medicate in my long experience.. that's just me though

Last edited:
No right answer. My brother goes to 3 per week whether clean or not. I had to go to rehab and just quit on my own even though I was told I "needed" to go to meetings to stay clean. I look at it from a different perspective. Why would I want to go to a place weekly to talk about drugs with other drug users and listen to stories of how much drugs they used to/currently are consuming? That to me would provide more impulse than not going and not talking about drugs at all. All in perspective.

im a recovering alcoholic and to me i bealive meetings to be good since you know your not the only one but some places hold meetings that can be torture.....think being in a silent room with 40 people nobody makes a noise......find meetings that you can see yourself attending.....stay safe

Thanks everyone for posting. I have made it over 70 days without taking any more pain pills. I feel like I have it licked. But almost every afternoon I still get that little memory bank kick in and makes me think of hydrocodone. I quickly get it out of my mind and go home and all is still well. I live in a small town and have a business which I have worked for over 35 years. I would really not like to open my past drug abuse out to the public meetings. I have a feeling it's not all anonymous.

Ya, if you are in a small town such as I you know how fast shit can spread if you see someone that knows you in a meeting "oh so and so was in my meeting' one of the reasons I never went. I talked about it with my doctor and she reccomended I go to a meeting In a different town, like an hour away or so,luckily she was not pushy about me going to them...good idea if you are worried about that and want to try out a meeting...Personally, never felt like they were for me because I don't wanna sit around and listen to people talk about how they used/have been relasing etc, etc...seems like that would be a BIG trigger for me and make me want to go out and score something, which is already hard enough not to do just on my own, and with Subs...But maybe if you are worried about people finding out, and want to try out a meeting, go to one that is not so close to where the people you know are, if you want to try one out anyway.

I had bad experiences with NA. It was the same bullshit over and over with no real advice or conversation. It was also a good place to score.

Screaming,Sweet S,
appreciate your feedback. I agree with both of you. I will just keep conversing on Bluelight. I certainly don't have time to drive out of town to a meeting. Maybe just keep looking for a good book to read. Any suggestions?
thanks
g

Don't let *anyone* tell you that 12 step programs are the only answer, that you are "broken" forever because you are addicted, 12 step programs only work for some. Others, like myself, just decided they just needed to grow up and stop a set number of bad behaviors . Not everyone who grew up and solved their negative issues absolutely had to stop using chemicals to medicate in my long experience.. that's just me though

I concur. I never much liked all the 12 step stuff cause of the repetitive dark God fearing conformist undertones. And cause I'll always enjoy the occasional bong rip and intense moment of intoxicated introspection. Ain't nobody gonna make me feel guilty for that. But it works great for lotsa peeps and more power to them. Variety is the spice of life.

I'd urge you to thrust yourself into a world of positivity in recovery whether that be family, hobbies, nature, friends, foes, meetings, isolation, spirituality, hedonism, or bouncy castles. Do what truly makes you happy and the rest will fall into place.

edit: I bet there are some sexy girls at NA these days though. Damn, maybe it's time for me to go to some meetings eh eh.

Last edited:
It's only a tool, if you never went you might get into it. But ultimately it's just another tool to help you succeed in your goal, if you never tried it why handicap yourself, all meetings are not the same and I've met some really cool people that made a difference in my life. Nothing more nothing less.

Good job though!

Thanks everyone for posting. I have made it over 70 days without taking any more pain pills. I feel like I have it licked. But almost every afternoon I still get that little memory bank kick in and makes me think of hydrocodone. I quickly get it out of my mind and go home and all is still well. I live in a small town and have a business which I have worked for over 35 years. I would really not like to open my past drug abuse out to the public meetings. I have a feeling it's not all anonymous.

You're right. It's not at all anonymous. It's not for everyone either. A lot of people quit without utilizing meetings, which are usually very clique-ish.

Hey G I was just reading your post about a good book to read well.....personaley I enjoy Cormac McCarthys work.....Right now im enjoying/reading the novel Blood Meridian and it is a very good book....descriped as the aurhors "magnum opus" it does have it moments but its a true work of art......I agree wrap your mind around the right topic and you will be happy. Best of luck also there is a free audio book on blood meridian in full on youtube by paid voice actors rather good if u feel like sitting around and absorbing....as always be safe:)

Hi Wonka,
appreciate you writing and recommending Cormac McCarthy. Will investigate the read. I stopped taking Hydocodone cold turkey on 01/03/14 after twenty years of abuse. Was not a real heavy user but usually never missed a daily dose. Spent lots of time every thirty days meeting a supplier and going to doctors. It's a relief not to have to worry about running out. And always going to get the cash to pay the dealer. The cravings are lessening a bit and life is good. Hope you are doing well too.
G

Hi Guidog:

If you're still looking for a good read, try Vonnegut's Slaughterhouse Five. It's really funny as well as generally awesome:)