• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Are benzos just alcohol in pill form?

@6am-64-14m Yeah, benzos can make me far more aggressive than alcohol could ever make me. I never feel that aggressive impulse from alcohol that you see alot of men get, where they are quick to fight etc. But i get it from benzos in a serious way. Problem is, it is in a much more sober and clear headed manner than the drunk guy at the bar who is getting rowdy. Benzo induced aggressiveness is more insidious and problematic.

At very high doses I'll do flat out weird shit, like shoplift. I would never shoplift anything sober, nor even had the thought or impulse to. It is like it fully cuts the brake cables for me. Alcohol does nothing like that for me, at any dose. Taken on a daily basis is even worse, because the tolerance allows me to be clear headed yet still wildy disinhibited. In those states I'm likely to do complex disinhibited things, like mastermind an art heist, etc.

I personally enjoy benzos way more than alcohol but I try to steer clear of them due to the horrible rebound I get from them due to past benzo addictions. Negrogesic on alprazolam is like negrogesic on some sort of god mode. They also make me feel sort of empty and craving stimulation, so my drug use skyrockets, often weird stuff, like heroic doses of psychedelics (which I would never take sober, I'm just too high strung for that shit). In short, benzos make me a different person, in some ways an enhanced version of myself with a bunch of features unlocked, but dangerous and kind of empty.

@6am-64-14m Yeah, benzos can make me far more aggressive than alcohol could ever make me. I never feel that aggressive impulse from alcohol that you see alot of men get, where they are quick to fight etc. But i get it from benzos in a serious way. Problem is, it is in a much more sober and clear headed manner than the drunk guy at the bar who is getting rowdy. Benzo induced aggressiveness is more insidious and problematic.

At very high doses I'll do flat out weird shit, like shoplift. I would never shoplift anything sober, nor even had the thought or impulse to. It is like it fully cuts the brake cables for me. Alcohol does nothing like that for me, at any dose. Taken on a daily basis is even worse, because the tolerance allows me to be clear headed yet still wildy disinhibited. In those states I'm likely to do complex disinhibited things, like mastermind an art heist, etc.

I personally enjoy benzos way more than alcohol but I try to steer clear of them due to the horrible rebound I get from them due to past benzo addictions. Negrogesic on alprazolam is like negrogesic on some sort of god mode. They also make me feel sort of empty and craving stimulation, so my drug use skyrockets, often weird stuff, like heroic doses of psychedelics (which I would never take sober, I'm just too high strung for that shit). In short, benzos make me a different person, in some ways an enhanced version of myself with a bunch of features unlocked, but dangerous and kind of empty.
Intriguing!

I am very surprised that no one else has addressed this in this thread yet so here goes....

The combinations and doses of substances that you are taking are extremely dangerous and potentially life-threatening. Please stop and consider what you are doing and how you are going to work towards getting your substance abuse under control before you wind up dead.

Large amounts of benzos and alcohol can cause blackouts, a very dangerous type of amnesia where you can appear quite lucid and capable at the time yet your brain is heavily intoxicated and you are quite impaired. During these episodes people have been known to drive vehicles, pick fights with people, injure themselves, lose their wallet phone keys etc, end up in jail or in hospital, and absolute worst case scenario either kill someone or themselves. The person will often have ZERO RECOLLECTION of the events. It is very likely that you have already experienced blackouts before.

Another danger of combining alcohol and benzos in high amounts is that they are both CNS depressants which means if you take enough of both and fall asleep, you will simply stop breathing and die.

Taking cocaine and alcohol together has a different but equally as serious risk. Cocaine + ethanol = cocaethylene, which is an extremely toxic substance that can cause strokes, heart attacks and organ failure, leading to death. Cocaethylene takes a really long time to break down and leave the body so even after your coke and alcohol binge is over you're still at risk of stroke or heart attack days or weeks afterwards.

I really urge you to have a good look at what you're doing to yourself and why, and work towards cleaning up a bit. Cutting down the benzos is gonna be the hardest part, but there is a tonne of help out there, for when you're ready.

If you're binge drinking and taking benzos every day, DO NOT STOP WITHOUT MEDICAL TREATMENT. You will likely have withdrawal seizures. Have you had seizures before when you tried to stop/cut down?
Totally agree.It could be great to alert people more often about dangerous combos and overabusing of drugs.That is the big purpose of places like this-harm reduction,empathy,support and urging a people to live more healthy life......at least for our children and youngsters.Thank you my Aussie girlfriend for good input.

benzos make me a different person, in some ways an enhanced version of myself with a bunch of features unlocked,
Just a few hours ago I noticed a change in my posting style and of course attributed it to bzd. Or is it a type of freedom to be me that gives me energy to deal with shit? ha
No need for kratom, thc-o or anything else since yesterday. od little but got that straight. Big test in many ways coming. Fuck... I got a trash can, toilet or window, right? I can see me now out on the sidewalk at night with a flashlight looking for glitter. :eek:
dangerous and kind of empty
This is gospel. And amen. No dis.
t can build quickly and without notice.
There really is no "feel" but freedom. I'll take it if I can be an adult.
Tired of feeling it all, anyway it fuckin hurts sometimes.

Totally agree.It could be great to alert people more often about dangerous combos and overabusing of drugs.That is the big purpose of places like this-harm reduction,empathy,support and urging a people to live more healthy life......at least for our children and youngsters.Thank you my Aussie girlfriend for good input.
Thank you Nas <3

With the right amount of alcohol, a night of sitting at home by yourself can be a rip-roaring good time (. . . at least for a while or some of the time). And, of course, alcohol enhances social life so greatly & so reliably that millions of people consider it indispensable to everything from bowling to sex.

Benzos seem to lack the magic of alcohol for keeping you entertained while doing nothing — a dose high enough to be intoxicating will you usually put you to bed (. . . or on amnesiac autopilot) before too long. With socializing, benzos can help reduce anxiety/inhibition, but they can't exactly conjure up interpersonal rapport like alcohol.
Can we make an exception for Temazepam?

That one ime feels pretty close, even better then Alcohol. Flunitrazepam is overhyped i think, but Nimetazepam sound pretty good though.

With the right amount of alcohol, a night of sitting at home by yourself can be a rip-roaring good time (. . . at least for a while or some of the time). And, of course, alcohol enhances social life so greatly & so reliably that millions of people consider it indispensable to everything from bowling to sex.

Benzos seem to lack the magic of alcohol for keeping you entertained while doing nothing — a dose high enough to be intoxicating will you usually put you to bed (. . . or on amnesiac autopilot) before too long. With socializing, benzos can help reduce anxiety/inhibition, but they can't exactly conjure up interpersonal rapport like alcohol.

Totally 100% this. I don't drink really at all anymore, except family gatherings, special occasions Xmas etc. However, when I do it is very recreational on its own as compared to benzos. There is always something missing I find with a benzo. It just leads to the need for another drug to add to get high, even if that just a joint. Alcohol must hit way more receptors, dopamine I'd imagine.

There is a thread here somewhere where "benzo rage" was discussed and some scoffed but in my experience it is very real. lol There are lots of threads on this at bl.
I think @negrogesic may remember that... hell, it may even have been that thread on dropping a different substance. I'm lookin case I'm still chucklin. Guess that means I am in therapeutic range (atm).
Benzos get me aggressive, unless I'm on my therapeutic dose of 20mg. When I'm on high doses or strong hypnotics I'm the same, but sometimes I'm OK just chilled depends on my mood. Been diagnosed with borderline personally disorder as well.
I am very surprised that no one else has addressed this in this thread yet so here goes....

The combinations and doses of substances that you are taking are extremely dangerous and potentially life-threatening. Please stop and consider what you are doing and how you are going to work towards getting your substance abuse under control before you wind up dead.

Large amounts of benzos and alcohol can cause blackouts, a very dangerous type of amnesia where you can appear quite lucid and capable at the time yet your brain is heavily intoxicated and you are quite impaired. During these episodes people have been known to drive vehicles, pick fights with people, injure themselves, lose their wallet phone keys etc, end up in jail or in hospital, and absolute worst case scenario either kill someone or themselves. The person will often have ZERO RECOLLECTION of the events. It is very likely that you have already experienced blackouts before.

Another danger of combining alcohol and benzos in high amounts is that they are both CNS depressants which means if you take enough of both and fall asleep, you will simply stop breathing and die.

Taking cocaine and alcohol together has a different but equally as serious risk. Cocaine + ethanol = cocaethylene, which is an extremely toxic substance that can cause strokes, heart attacks and organ failure, leading to death. Cocaethylene takes a really long time to break down and leave the body so even after your coke and alcohol binge is over you're still at risk of stroke or heart attack days or weeks afterwards.

I really urge you to have a good look at what you're doing to yourself and why, and work towards cleaning up a bit. Cutting down the benzos is gonna be the hardest part, but there is a tonne of help out there, for when you're ready.

If you're binge drinking and taking benzos every day, DO NOT STOP WITHOUT MEDICAL TREATMENT. You will likely have withdrawal seizures. Have you had seizures before when you tried to stop/cut down?

I have mixed benzos and alcohol many times, ended up in police station or hospital. I used to think my tolerance kept it at bay, but don't realise how messes up I am, poor decision making and sometimes making an idiot of myself.

I am not touching cocaine again, only got that as was buying weed and guy had cocaine on him so thought fkmit why not treat myself.

I ended up in hospital a few weeks ago, I had court and was worried so took 250mg tapentadol over a night, couldn't sleep because of it. Then had 600mg of pregabalin combined with a can of budweiser and 1g of phenibut. Then had 8mg clonazepam and 10mg diazepam. Felt fine but was all talkative in the court. I then went for a smoke of weed, with someone from court, had 1 bong and a packed joint. I then could barely keep my eyes open, fell over on way home. I felt as if someone was throwing pipes down my throat. When woke up in hospital, they said I had 5 shots of nalaxone, and a few more in ambulance. You'd think I'd have learned my lesson but coke and alcohol for 3-4 days in a row isn't wise. My doctor cut down my diazepam from 25mg to 20mg. All other drugs I've got were bought online. Been drunk a couple of nights ago, on beers then those little shots combined with benzos.

Benzos get me aggressive, unless I'm on my therapeutic dose of 20mg. When I'm on high doses or strong hypnotics I'm the same, but sometimes I'm OK just chilled depends on my mood. Been diagnosed with borderline personally disorder as well.

I have mixed benzos and alcohol many times, ended up in police station or hospital. I used to think my tolerance kept it at bay, but don't realise how messes up I am, poor decision making and sometimes making an idiot of myself.

I am not touching cocaine again, only got that as was buying weed and guy had cocaine on him so thought fkmit why not treat myself.

I ended up in hospital a few weeks ago, I had court and was worried so took 250mg tapentadol over a night, couldn't sleep because of it. Then had 600mg of pregabalin combined with a can of budweiser and 1g of phenibut. Then had 8mg clonazepam and 10mg diazepam. Felt fine but was all talkative in the court. I then went for a smoke of weed, with someone from court, had 1 bong and a packed joint. I then could barely keep my eyes open, fell over on way home. I felt as if someone was throwing pipes down my throat. When woke up in hospital, they said I had 5 shots of nalaxone, and a few more in ambulance. You'd think I'd have learned my lesson but coke and alcohol for 3-4 days in a row isn't wise. My doctor cut down my diazepam from 25mg to 20mg. All other drugs I've got were bought online. Been drunk a couple of nights ago, on beers then those little shots combined with benzos.
How old are you, if you don't mind me asking?

*edit* I just read about your BPD diagnosis, and your reckless substance abuse certainly reflects that. Do you feel like you don't have control over your decision making when it comes to taking drugs? Like, in that moment when you've got the pills in your hand, kinda thing?

No it's fine I'm 35, been on alcohol heavily since 16. Then started taking an unhealthy interest in drugs

No it's fine I'm 35, been on alcohol heavily since 16. Then started taking an unhealthy interest in drugs
Very similar to myself actually, I'm 38 though.
Did you see the edited comment on my post?

I've wasted my life, turned everyone against me and starting to not care about anything. No never saw it, could you write it again please. Its good to talk to someone who has been through it as well. I'm very impulsive as well

How old are you, if you don't mind me asking?

*edit* I just read about your BPD diagnosis, and your reckless substance abuse certainly reflects that. Do you feel like you don't have control over your decision making when it comes to taking drugs? Like, in that moment when you've got the pills in your hand, kinda thing?

Sorry just seen your edit. Yep once I get drink and pills in my hand, I'm buying drinks for people, chatting absolute shit and after it, I feel like such an mug. I cringe thinking about it. My impulsively is a joke and I'm going up to people I don't know asking if they want a line. It got that bad, the staff refused me alcohol and offered me a soft drink. My life is going down hill rapidly and before I left the house the other day, I through my remote control at my tv and cracked it, broke it. Cost me 500 quid. Didn't bother me, got a spare. My flat is full of smashed up glasses, cups. I go from homicidal (only thoughts , have OCD as well) to suicidal thoughts. My mind is a mess and don't know what to do. Edit: had 12mg of xanax going to bed now, nice talkimg

Last edited:
Sorry just seen your edit. Yep once I get drink and pills in my hand, I'm buying drinks for people, chatting absolute shit and after it, I feel like such an mug. I cringe thinking about it. My impulsively is a joke and I'm going up to people I don't know asking if they want a line. It got that bad, the staff refused me alcohol and offered me a soft drink. My life is going down hill rapidly and before I left the house the other day, I through my remote control at my tv and cracked it, broke it. Cost me 500 quid. Didn't bother me, got a spare. My flat is full of smashed up glasses, cups. I go from homicidal (only thoughts , have OCD as well) to suicidal thoughts. My mind is a mess and don't know what to do. Edit: had 12mg of xanax going to bed now, nice talkimg
Have you ever gotten serious professional help for either your substance abuse and/or your BPD before? Is it something you'd consider? I get the vibe you're in the UK, what services are covered by the NHS? (I'm Australian so I have no idea about it, other than it exists lol)

Yeah UK lol, but NHS have a long waiting list. Got an alcohol and drugs worker, phoning me to see how I'm doing. I didn't believe I I had BPD, when they gave me diagnosis. I find it hard to get through the day with or without drugs. My mental health is bad and I've pushed alot of people away. Maybe I need to stop drugs and take any help they offer me.

My mental health is bad and I've pushed alot of people away.
This is very common with BPD, as I'm sure you know. Doesn't change the fact, but it does explain it.
Maybe I need to stop drugs and take any help they offer me.
Yes I strongly recommend you do this. However as I mentioned earlier in this thread, please please please do not stop the benzos and drinking cold turkey. You wouldn't be able to anyway, given the doses you're taking, the withdrawals will be pretty unpleasant. But you will be at serious risk of seizures, so you will need to do an inpatient detox in a hospital setting. Talk to your drug and alcohol person, perhaps they have a way of getting you bumped up the waiting list?? (I have no idea how it works there, but usually the professionals can do things like that).

You're only 35 mate, there's still plenty of time for you to get clean and turn things around.

I just wanna make sure you realise that the only reason you feel so shit when you're sober is because you've got untreated mental illness, and your brain is all scrambled and out of whack from decades of substance abuse. Once you give your brain a good solid rest from being pummelled with substances all the time, and once you've get some clean time, your head will start to clear up and stabilise and you'll begin to feel much better, less anxious, less irritable, better mood. But yeah, we gotta get you off this shit man. How much booze do you drink? That will be the easiest thing to cut out, to start with.

I have spoken to my drugs worker and been honest about what I was taking, and she is referring me to an alcohol and drugs agency. I won't stop cold turkey, that's very dangerous, even deadly.

I wish I had stopped when I was younger, the older you get the harder it is to stop. Been drinking since 16. Went through DTs before and can still remember the things I seen.

I have been off drink but relapsed spent 3 days on it and getting the taste for it again. The benzos are very difficult to even taper. Tried once for a month, went from 30mg to 10mg a day for a month, no doctors involved and by the end I was a mess. Also got tics where I say things I don't want to. Don't know if the OCD is causing this. The alcohol and drugs stop it. My mind feels like its in 5th gear, hear music playing in my head, after a few benzos it stops it a bit.

I tried kratom a while ago, and my mood improved, less anxiety and felt great. Best drug that I have taken, no bad side effects. Trouble is can't get decent stuff, bought from same place and they are selling absolute crap.

After nearly dying a month ago, you'd think I'd get a grip but addiction along with my mental health is really hard. I'm on my own, don't know where I'm going in life or what I want to do. Pregabalin, nitrazepam, etizolam, alcohol, tramadol, xanax and other rubbish I've bought from Internet is all sitting there. Trying to stop but now I feel like I'm addicted to pregabalin. Two days off it and get electric type shocks all over my body.

Trying to stop but now I feel like I'm addicted to pregabalin. Two days off it and get electric type shocks all over my body.
Ahh yes, I know the exact feeling! I get the same withdrawals from my antidepressant Cymbalta, if I take the dose too late or if I miss a day's dose.
Pregabalin is indeed addictive. The good news is that it's relatively easy to quit, and the withdrawal symptoms definitely won't kill you no matter how bad you feel. How much pregabalin are you taking??

Also are you on any antidepressant? Or any other prescription medication?