• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

Are bad trips necessary for growth?

astralprojectee

Greenlighter
OK so recently I posted a topic asking if psychedelics can evolve our souls. There seemed to be a consensus that yes they can. So my next question is related, are bad trips necessary for growth if we experience one here or there?

Thanks.

Interesting question, I don't know about "necessary", but bad trips can definitely teach you just as much, maybe more for less thoughtful people, as good trips. The few bad trips I've had actually taught me to be more comfortable with myself & better able to accept my flaws, which makes it easier to try to do things to fix them because I truly recognize them rather than being aware of them yet trying to hide from them. I remember me & one of my best friends used to confuse the shit out of a lot of stoner kids when we'd go on about how experiencing bad trips can actually be a good thing...this is also why I tell people it's better to let the bad trip happen & push through it than just pop some benzos & run away from it...if you see it through you might be able to gain something from it & conquer something, if you kill it with downers whatever issue set it off will just keep coming back around.

Is suffering necessary for joy - psychoactives aside?

Yes. The great enlightened teachers of history have all experienced and know great suffering.

Are bad trips necessary for growth? Yes. To grow one must have experiences which are sometimes uncomfortable.

No, not all enlightened paths require suffering. It's just the most well worn path, and it's the way the old world did it.

My most bad trips were traumatic and took a lot of deprogramming to let them go. It represents lost time due to a nasty illusion.

No, at least not if you keep having them. This may sound strange but almost everytime I smoked weed I had a bad trip, I had some strange infatuation with the drug that made me keep doing it. It completely broke down my ego, self-esteem, and trust. It's taken a long time to undo the damage its caused me but I'm working through it.

Bad trips may make bad or inconsiderate people reflect on pain they may have caused others but people that are already down don't need a good kicking.

I see there seems to be some differences in opinions but over all there seems to be a consensus that bad trips are necessary to growth.

As far as the differences go I think that it's the difference between a healthy crying and a cry of despair that just causes more suffering in the long run.

This has been interesting thanks for the replies.

No, not all enlightened paths require suffering. It's just the most well worn path, and it's the way the old world did it.

My most bad trips were traumatic and took a lot of deprogramming to let them go. It represents lost time due to a nasty illusion.

I actually agree with you. Hopefully we see a jump in our evolution where we can by-pass the suffering stage altogether - I do believe it's possible.

Negativity encountered on a trip is negativity in your own mind. Negativity can in some sense represent 'mistakes' you may seek to correct. A 'bad trip' can make you more aware of your negative patterns. If you don't encounter any, they don't concern you at present and you're looking to grow in some way that does not concern negativity. Which, for some, would be considered a baseline level.

Bad trips occur when people fight the truth; when they encounter something about themselves that they feel they have to keep repressed.

There are no good or bad trips. There are just trips...
...and, during any given trip, you can unearth something that you might not be ready to handle.
Or, you believe you're not ready to handle. Mostly because of fear.
Being opened up to allow for change is a very vulnerable state.
It doesn't help telling people that bad trips exist.
If they believe the trip is bad, it will be.

Psychedelics can speed up the process or - by speeding it up too much - can slow it down.
A car might get you to your destination faster. But if you go to fast, you will end up wrapped around a tree.

^Good post :)

Foreigner said:

I found that my best trips were the ones that were happy, euphoric, real, beautiful. They are the ones which gave me hope in the darkest hour.

But there is value in trauma. I used ayahuasca, under guidance, for a few days in a row after trying to quit heroin/opiates for a year or so. This was initially intense, scary and completely mind shattering and I gained the impetus to change my ways. The first night was SO powerful and frightening. The things I saw and felt were terrible to me. The relief I felt when it began wearing off is strengthening.

The next night and all ensuing nights have been beautiful.

Negativity encountered on a trip is negativity in your own mind. Negativity can in some sense represent 'mistakes' you may seek to correct. A 'bad trip' can make you more aware of your negative patterns. If you don't encounter any, they don't concern you at present and you're looking to grow in some way that does not concern negativity. Which, for some, would be considered a baseline level.

All negativity resides in the mind. Psychedelics can enable you to truly understand that. :) All resides in the mind. It is a stage, upon which we can array actor and prop, at will, when we desire. Any feeling of powerlessness is illusory.

I don't think that they are necessary per se, but can be a valuable, useful experience, provided they don't frighten you out of your wits, or scare you off trying again. I have never had 'a bad trip', but have certainly had some anxious moments, and had some rather scary experiences... and, thinking back on it, most times it was because I 'tempted fate' and actually arranged them even, as a test of nerve, or (most silly) to impress friends - a sort of 'dare game'. I can certainly remember enjoying the adrenaline thrill and excitement, rather like a little kid, then the triumphant joy and satisfaction of getting away with something, or achieving some goal. It has been a long time now, and although I remember the thrilling sensation, I can only remember a few actual incidents. One was a visit to a local park, after some very strong, edgy acid... and a couple of lines of coke, and some strong weed.... first time taking such a nerve jangling combination, only the second time I'd done coke IIRC? There were three of us, 18 yrs old nad all rather nervous and jumpy, geeing each other up and not wanting to seem wimpish - competition is a bad thing for the inexperienced tripper! While smoking a joint on this hillside, a police Range Rover appeared, creeping through the park ... to us, it was like a T Rex, terrifying! But we stayed put (probably the sensible thing to do), and there was certainly that childish sense of 'dares'... until the bastards suddenly turned onto the grass, heading straight for us at high speed, and turned their spotlights on us, and on went the blues and twos. It felt rather like that Tiger tank approaching in Saving Private Ryan... but farmore frightening, and more unfriendly!

Not only were we tripping off our heads, one of the others had half an ounce of dope and some coke in his pocket, and I recall this highly confused, panic stricken run through the dark trees and bushes, then my friend searching desperately for his dope to chuck it... of course, as always in such moments, it took ages, and when he went to throw it, for some reason I said "no, don't waste it... give it to me!", which he did, then as we crept home we had to walk past a police car, and I lost my nerve and swallowed it... after a revolting, LSD mouthed chew, which seemed to last for hours. Not a good idea...

Other times I recall wandering through some pitch dark, notoriously haunted woods at college, and almost plunging forty or fifty feet into this amphitheatre - no guard rails. Exciting wasn't the word... stupid was if I'm honest. No ghost of course. I think it has something to do with that LSD state I felt back then, I was literally like a child in a new, strange world, which I was keen to explore, seeing previously familiar things in an entirely different, utterly fascinating way.

Therefore I'd say every trip was and is a learning experience, whether good, bad, or a mixture of both.