• ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Television Archer

yucatanboy2

Bluelighter
I hadn't watched it until I recently found out it involves several people from arrested development. I figured it'd be worth checking out. Turns out its pretty damn funny. I definitely recommend it.

Aside from Jessica Walter, who from Arrested Development is in this?

It's almost watchable.

^ And Jessica Walter. :)

walters_jessica_cp_.jpg

malory.jpg

Amazing?

I don't get it. It's like Hercules Returns with more dick jokes.

What is so funny about this?

I don't know what Hercules Returns is, but my enjoyment of Archer is not currently affected by it.

I also don't think that dick jokes per say disregards something from amazing. They're good dick jokes.

Half of them aren't even jokes. They're just perverse things that the characters happen to indulge in. There's no wit that I can detect. What makes this show funny to some people, I guess, is the contrast between how it looks and how it sounds. That is, the "straight" animation style combined with the "bent" sense of humor. Hercules Returns is a film about a bunch of theater staff who accidentally destroy the audio track of a classic old Hercules film and have to dub over the voices without a script. The result is similar to Archer - the characters in Hercules look one way and sound another, thereby subverting audience expectations to such an absurd degree that it appears comical... but it is a novelty effect. There is little to no substance to the comedy.

Here's a review that made sense to me:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/review/archer-tv-review-29094

The new series boasts eye-catching animation and dollops of sex and violence but only enough humor to elicit occasional chuckles. If you eliminate the references to sexual perversions, even the smiles are few and far between.

Interestingly, the characters are drawn to reflect, more or less, the actors who supply their voices. That attraction is offset, however, by none-too-witty dialogue that confuses over-the-top sexual situations with sophisticated humor.

Last edited:
Oh hey. Something else TheDeceased doesn't like. You must be a ton of fun at parties. Archer is a fun, witty show thats better than 95% of all the other bullshit that comes on television.

You are indeed correct, sir. I am not fun at parties because I don't like this cartoon. After all, the only way to be successful at social gatherings is to discuss popular television shows. I realize this all too much so I often pretend to like the popular titles so that people will like me. If I didn't, I would be left out of all the invaluable "Archer" conversations, and I would probably never get laid. Once I said to a girl I was chatting up that I didn't like "Two and a Half Men" and she slapped me hard in the face. I learnt my lesson. Perhaps I should apply it to bluelight as well...

Here goes:

Archer is AMAZING.

Wow, that feels so much better. I feel like a weight has been lifted off me. I'm like you now. My preferences are socially acceptable. I hope you now approve of my tastes in television and one day we can be friends. 8)

Archer is a fun, witty show thats better than 95% of all the other bullshit that comes on television.

Yes, it is better than 95% of the other bullshit that comes on television - though that's not saying much. And, yes, it is fun - if you're into that sort of thing (personally I'm not). But it is not witty or amazing (in my opinion)... It is a fairly crappy looking animation with one dimensional characters, crammed full of jokes that rely heavily on sexual taboos and badly constructed plot-lines. It is lazy uninspired writing. What's witty about it?

Oh hey. Something else TheDeceased doesn't like. You must be a ton of fun at parties. Archer is a fun, witty show thats better than 95% of all the other bullshit that comes on television.

haha, you've hit the nail on the head in this post.

And, yes, it is fun - if you're into that sort of thing (personally I'm not).

Oh yea that reminds me. I also liked Frisky Dingo. But I ended up finding myself liking Archer more. I grew up on James Bond movies and I've found Archer very satisfying as a result I think.

I completely agree with TheDeceased. I can see how this show appeals to people who love dick jokes, but it's not intelligent humor - the writing is about as far from Arrested Development as you can get.

Hmm try again.. Eyeryones so upset.. First series was a blast. Seriously, I like futurama and family guy no end but Archer just went somewhere else. It's kinda like that Harvey birdman pisstake or drawn together. It's just plain out there. Like telling people to watch Bob's Burgers.. People keep comparing it to the Simpsons and I'm like WTF? Why are you comparing them? Archer is in anOther league and running it's own agenda. I'm happy to flow with that to get something a little off the cuff.

^^ Maybe if you phrased your thoughts in the form of a dick joke someone could understand what you're on about.

I second the recommendation of watching frisky dingo if you enjoy this:)

Oh also the dude who voices archer is H. Jon Benjamin, the same dude who voiced the fucking hilarious coach Mcguirk in the old-school [Adult Swim] programme Home Movies.

I swear every amazing cartoon to come out in the last decade has been somehow affiliated with that production group, not that I'm complaining, they fucking rule!!=D

"Barry, is this how you get ants?"
"Yes it is, other Berry, yes it is..."

God I fucking love this show.

I dislike the animation in this show. Its funny enough I guess but I will never get over how it looks.