• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Diet Anyone with diabetes (or knowledge of diabetes) help me with my ketones right now (maybe urgent, maybe not)

ChemicallyEnhanced

Bluelighter
So my diabetes/blood sugars are poorly controlled and I *have* binged sugary stuff this evening.
So I feel especially shit (my muscles all really hurt, I have a headache, persistent nausea and abdominal pain) so I did a urinalysis by peeing on a Ketostick (to test for ketosis acidosis).

There's 6 different colours it can turn depending on your ketone levels. Mine has *ALWAYS* been either "Neg" (literally 0) or "Traces" (0.5mmol/L) but this time it's the fourth along (third highest) - which is "moyen ++" (4mmol/L or 40mg/dL).

Do I need to call a doctor or go to hospital or anything? I have no idea how high that is or isn't or if it's dangerous, or what I should do??

Retest first to confirm results. Then I would call the hospital or use another reliable physician service to get sound advice. Pack your phone charger, pajamas, toothbrush earbuds.. etc if they tell you to come in because the treatment takes a few days in the ICU. You just lay around hooked up to all their junk while they pump you full of IV treatment.

Hope all turns out well and that you get your sugars under control!!

Last edited:
So my diabetes/blood sugars are poorly controlled and I *have* binged sugary stuff this evening.
So I feel especially shit (my muscles all really hurt, I have a headache, persistent nausea and abdominal pain) so I did a urinalysis by peeing on a Ketostick (to test for ketosis acidosis).

There's 6 different colours it can turn depending on your ketone levels. Mine has *ALWAYS* been either "Neg" (literally 0) or "Traces" (0.5mmol/L) but this time it's the fourth along (third highest) - which is "moyen ++" (4mmol/L or 40mg/dL).

Do I need to call a doctor or go to hospital or anything? I have no idea how high that is or isn't or if it's dangerous, or what I should do??
Can we get an update CE?? Did you get checked out? Are you all good?

I was going to ask if you're using insulin doesn't sound like it
Sorry for not replying to anyone: I usually just check my notifications rather than the threads so if people reply in the bottom space thing rather than an @ or clicking "reply" to my post, I sometimes miss it. My fault.

I'm prescribed insulin but I don't take it (ever).

What’s your sugar at?

Different places count it differently. I'm in the UK, and I know if you're in American it's done very differently and this will seem extremely LOW to you, but (normal blood sugar is 4-7) the testing machine I have goes up to 33 (30 or more is a medical emergency so I guess it doesn't need to go higher) but mine was too high for the machine to read. So I just know it was at least 34.

Retest first to confirm results. Then I would call the hospital or use another reliable physician service to get sound advice. Pack your phone charger, pajamas, toothbrush earbuds.. etc if they tell you to come in because the treatment takes a few days in the ICU. You just lay around hooked up to all their junk while they pump you full of IV treatment.

Hope all turns out well and that you get your sugars under control!!

Thanks! :)

Can we get an update CE?? Did you get checked out? Are you all good?

Thanks so much for caring enough to ask! :):)

I tested again 2 hours later (obviously I didn't eat during that time, just water) and the ketones had gone down *slightly*. I tested again 2 hours later and while they were still high for me, they were out of the danger zone.
I've just been very careful with what I eat since then.

Thanks so much for caring enough to ask! :):)

I tested again 2 hours later (obviously I didn't eat during that time, just water) and the ketones had gone down *slightly*. I tested again 2 hours later and while they were still high for me, they were out of the danger zone.
I've just been very careful with what I eat since then.
Very good to hear mate, take care <3

I'm prescribed insulin but I don't take it (ever).
please please please use your insulin.

obviously i don't have direct experience but my understanding is that the health complications from diabulimia rack up way quicker and are more extreme than other EDs. and from my experience of other EDs, i know that that is fucking dangerous.

even if it doesn't kill you, losing your sight, brain damage etc, just not worth it.

do your treatment team know you aren't using it?

please please please use your insulin.

obviously i don't have direct experience but my understanding is that the health complications from diabulimia rack up way quicker and are more extreme than other EDs. and from my experience of other EDs, i know that that is fucking dangerous.

even if it doesn't kill you, losing your sight, brain damage etc, just not worth it.

do your treatment team know you aren't using it?

I have type 1.5 (not born with it (type 1) or diet/weight related (type 2)), I got it from Pancreatitis, so my body does produce SOME insulin.
I only got diagnosed (although I've been having the symptoms for probably a year) a month ago. I was actually diagnosed as insulin-dependant 5 years ago and it literally just went away after 3 months (my doctors are still baffled) but I had blood tests done a month ago and my sugars were VERY high again so was re-diagnosed.
They know I don't take my insulin (against medical advice) but not that I don't take my pills, either.

Brain damage happens from very LOW blood sugar levels, so I'm okay there. The eye things bothers me very, very much as ended up blind has always been my worst fear. I have had my eyes tested at the diabetes clinic and there is zero damage whatsoever right now. I do try and avoid sugar as much as possible.

hyperglycemia can also cause brain injury.

also just to clairfy, type 1 doesn't mean your born with it. i have family members with it and one developed it as a teen and the other in pregnancy. though it doesn't matter in this context.

you're a guy aren't you? just wondering cos if you were a woman maybe something hormonal was going on to cause it to appear then go away? cos my family member who got it in pregnancy then had it go away afterwards, but then come back and not go away in their second pregnancy.

please follow your medical advice. the risks you are taking are not worth the 'rewards.'

I'm having trouble with mine. I missed insulin last night but ate and BG was up around 20mmol/L today. Took insulin and didn't eat but it's only down to 14. I want to eat, damnit. Take rapid insulin??

Chemically Enhanced. I'm a type 1 diabetic and Your numbers are scary to me man. 30+ mmol/L, I'm in the US and we use mg/dl here, and 30 mmol/L converts to 500 mg/dl. That is extremely high. I bet you're thirsty as all hell, I bet you're constantly running back and forth to the toilet to urinate because your kidneys are in overdrive trying to pull sugar out of your blood. Your numbers above are indicative of Diabetic Ketoacidosis. If my numbers were like yours, I would go to the hospital. I really hope you start taking better care of yourself man because numbers like that will kill you if you don't address them and it's not an easy death either. We're talking about heart attacks and Kidney damage that will leave you on dialysis, we're talking about blindness, we're talking about Chronic neuropathic pain in your hands and feet. We're talking amputated legs. This is some serious stuff, I would know because I've been a type 1 diabetic for 23 years. (I'm 30 years old and was diagnosed when I was 7 years old).
PM me if you wanna talk about diabetes I just got on the pump and I'm working really hard on my numbers. I really hope you're okay man because I'm sure you know that numbers like that can kill you.

Chemically Enhanced. I'm a type 1 diabetic and Your numbers are scary to me man. 30+ mmol/L, I'm in the US and we use mg/dl here, and 30 mmol/L converts to 500 mg/dl. That is extremely high. I bet you're thirsty as all hell, I bet you're constantly running back and forth to the toilet to urinate because your kidneys are in overdrive trying to pull sugar out of your blood. Your numbers above are indicative of Diabetic Ketoacidosis. If my numbers were like yours, I would go to the hospital. I really hope you start taking better care of yourself man because numbers like that will kill you if you don't address them and it's not an easy death either. We're talking about heart attacks and Kidney damage that will leave you on dialysis, we're talking about blindness, we're talking about Chronic neuropathic pain in your hands and feet. We're talking amputated legs. This is some serious stuff, I would know because I've been a type 1 diabetic for 23 years. (I'm 30 years old and was diagnosed when I was 7 years old).
PM me if you wanna talk about diabetes I just got on the pump and I'm working really hard on my numbers. I really hope you're okay man because I'm sure you know that numbers like that can kill you.

Mine can go above 30 without insulin but my doc reckons my pancreas must work a bit because that's rare and it'll usually max out in the 20s.

I just got a blood glucose sensor thing again. I used them a lot last year after being hospitalised. They cost over $AUD100 and only last two weeks, but are so easy compared to the finger prick. You just scan the thing and it tells you your BG:

They're going to be subsidised here from July apparently! I don't know if I can get a Type 1 classification though..

I just got a blood glucose sensor thing again. I used them a lot last year after being hospitalised. They cost over $AUD100 and only last two weeks, but are so easy compared to the finger prick. You just scan the thing and it tells you your BG:

That is really, really cool!

That is really, really cool!!

It is! I feel like the Bionic Woman or something with these haha. My endocrinologist told me diabetes technology should be improving a lot because it's such an epidemic and so there's big $ in it.

The sensor thing comes in the post and you can put it on yourself pretty easily (once you know how to do it). The app can share the info with other people, and it's really useful for professionals like endocrinologists and diabetes educators.

It just looks like this. The disc has a little needle which sits under your skin. They're waterproof too, so you can have a shower and not worry about it

It is! I feel like the Bionic Woman or something with these haha. My endocrinologist told me diabetes technology should be improving a lot because it's such an epidemic and so there's big $ in it.

The sensor thing comes in the post and you can put it on yourself pretty easily (once you know how to do it). The app can share the info with other people, and it's really useful for professionals like endocrinologists and diabetes educators.

It just looks like this. The disc has a little needle which sits under your skin. They're waterproof too, so you can have a shower and not worry about it

Say whaaaat?!!! Amazing!